From outside the bubble...

Xenoche

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 06:58 pm
After living for generations on board a ship with 100 million of your fellow beings traveling at near the speed of light, you finally approach the planet that from a great distance appeared perfect to construct another home world, with the stability of atmosphere and rife with raw materials.

However...
At a distance of 0.05 parsecs (approximately one sixth of a lightyear) previously unknown anomalies upon the planet become visible. It was presumed that a sentient force may have arisen from the planets nature of relative stability. The dominant sentience seemed to be bipedal, frail and yet to develop sufficient technologies to resist any form of our weapons.
Their offensive capabilities seems to be of no consequence.

Suddenly...
Your ship picks up a multitude of artificial wavelengths from the planet.
Algorithmic data from the transmission is parsed and converted to your native tongue. The ensuing conversation is one of understandable resignation, after a lengthily discussion, the being in which you were speaking to seems to realize thier weak posture and asks under what conditions may they be spared from annihilation.

Under the 'First contact act' you must give sentient beings the ability to live unless signs of aggression are an endangerment to your kind. Ignorance of this document will spell excommunication and annihilation by your high authority.

A species of this technological magnitude could have a order of operations when confronted on this level, however, the unpredictability of intellect among sentient contacts makes a rigid 'one size fits all' conditional template practically impossible to formulate. Hence conditions are your duty to conceive.

What conditions would you place on the species to maximize your access to residence and resources, without physically harming the human populations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 797 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
@Xenoche,
The humans can have the land area, and we will populate the deep oceans (more room there anyway). No conditions are necessary as long as the human offensive capabilities are "of no consequence".
Xenoche

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@rosborne979,
Seems to be of no consequence.

I realize the scenario is hilariously ambiguous, raising such questions as;

How much metal and other resource is required to construct your terrestrial base, and how much space is required to house 100 million martians? Not to mention a martian industrial complex capable of processing and constructing thier way of life which is also undefinable.

Will human rebellion be inevitable and possibly our destruction?

If you required an area the size of Europe, where do the displaced people go?

EDIT: That last question is abit moot, since were gonna be camping 100 million martians next to spongebob Razz
roger

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:23 pm
I think I'm done following the discussion.
Xenoche

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:18 pm
@roger,
me too...

bad cabin fever, BAD!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 11:22 pm
Give up, humans, all your base are belong to us.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 07:04 am
@Xenoche,
Xenoche wrote:

Seems to be of no consequence.

I realize the scenario is hilariously ambiguous, raising such questions as;

How much metal and other resource is required to construct your terrestrial base, and how much space is required to house 100 million martians? Not to mention a martian industrial complex capable of processing and constructing thier way of life which is also undefinable.

Will human rebellion be inevitable and possibly our destruction?

If you required an area the size of Europe, where do the displaced people go?

EDIT: That last question is abit moot, since were gonna be camping 100 million martians next to spongebob Razz

Hi X,

Partly my answer was meant to be entertaining thoughtwise, but my point also was that you need to make a whole lot of assumptions about these hypothetical beings before you can begin to realistically answer such a scenario. My example was to show that we can't even assume that another species would want to colonize our landmasses, they might just as well be interested in our deep oceans, or in the airspace above 30k feet. We don't know. Both of those environments (ocean or air) have a LOT more area to live in than our two dimensional land surface, so housing 100 million aliens might not be a problem. Also, these aliens might be a tenth of our size and require a tenth of what we require for natural resources. Or they might arrive with technology which frees them from the need to consume any of what we consider "resources".
0 Replies