Amigo

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:36 pm
These are my people.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:55 pm
@plainoldme,
That blog is hilarious, to me. It is written by some sicilians and it constantly forevermore is mocking of italian news articles, including re the vatican and berlusconi. It keeps me in touch.. with true vitriol..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh, but she's right..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:06 pm
@Amigo,
Hi, Amigo.

Which people?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:49 am
@panzade,
Growler is a surprisingly common word in my life. Not only do I work in a liquor store but my son-in-law is a home brewer who wants to brewing his occupation. He knows more about beer than most people do.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
A growler is a 64 ounce (half-gallon) jug of beer. Both boutique brewers and factory brewers sell beer in growlers these days.
Amigo

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:36 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Hi, Amigo.

Which people?
Hi, the crazy people in the story. The three men.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 11:56 am
When my son, now 25, was in high school, he had a priest, a rabbi and a hippie joke almost every day. Generally, there was a fourth person in the joke.

Here is one, a chestnut that I am certain you will recognize:

A priest, a rabbi, a hippie and the smartest man in the world were passengers in a plane that was about to crash. The pilot bailed out, leaving just three parachutes on board.

The smartest man in the world immediately grabbed one, announced that he had to survive because he was the smitw and jumped out of the plane.

The rabbi then said to his companions, "I am very old and my health is poor. You two take the parachutes, especially you, son (turning to the hippie) because you are very young and I am certain your best days are still ahead of you."

The priest then said, "I agree this young man should be saved, but, Rabbi, I could not, in conscience, ask you to sacrifice your life for mine. You have a family. Please, take the parachute."

The hippie then said, "Everything is alright. We are all saved. The smartest man in the world took my back pack."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:15 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
A growler is a 64 ounce (half-gallon) jug of beer.
Both boutique brewers and factory brewers sell beer in growlers these days.
Do u know Y thay call it that ?
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 01:32 pm
re David, it apparently goes back well into the nineteenth century, to when you used to be able to send your kid down to the corner saloon to bring you back a big can (a growler) of beer. so you didn't have to stir off the living room couch doing whatever it was people did there before TV was invented
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rus1.htm
plainoldme

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 08:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Apparently, the gas within the beer makes a growling sound in the jug.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 09:15 am
@MontereyJack,
when I was a near prat of a child and we would go into town to visit my great-grandfather, he would send me with a 1 quart ball jar with a glass lid and a wire contraption to hold the lid on tight with a dime to the "Palm Garden" for his beer. 1950's
plainoldme

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 05:49 pm
@dyslexia,
That's cool.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 05:51 pm
Last night was uneventful. People were tired from gardening and very happy. There were no weird people. A friendly gay man who I confuse with another friendly gay man . . . except for a 2 or 3 inch difference in their height, these men look remarkably alike . . . chatted for awhile and then apologized for never having introduced himself. That was nice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:44 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

when I was a near prat of a child and we would go into town to visit my great-grandfather, he would send me with a 1 quart ball jar with a glass lid and a wire contraption to hold the lid on tight with a dime to the "Palm Garden" for his beer. 1950's

I saw a few of those jars at a resale shop just recently.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:50 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
There have been times during the 1940s and 50s that circumstances were such that I had to drink beer,
but I have never liked its taste. My relatives bought beer; it was in big brown bottles. I have never known beer to growl,
nor to say anything. Beer was usually pretty quiet.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 06:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
dyslexia wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I saw a few of those jars at a resale shop just recently.
Forgive my ignorance, Ed: what is a "resale shop"?

A retail shop ?

David
plainoldme

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 07:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's not funny. Your joke fell flat. No one can possibly be ignorant of what a resale shop is but pretending not to know to "put people down" is not cute.
Philis

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 09:21 pm
I didn't get the punchline of the joke?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 May, 2010 09:33 pm
@plainoldme,
I doubt David knows about thrift shops, or resale shops, or consignment shops.

This is a big forum with people of different means.

I'm thriftshop queen (or Soz is), but let's not expect David to know about all that.

1. Forums
  2. » Three Men
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 12:49:11