Petty problem

chai2

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 08:06 pm
Yeah, this isn't even worth thinking about, and I'll have forgotten it by the morning, but God this guy was such a little prick...

Set up: Oh, like 2 months ago, I was in a yoga class, and at one point the instructor asked us to do a particular pose with the assistance of a partner. The 2nd person was supposed to be there to help keep the first persons shoulders on the floor, so they could get an idea of what they were supposed to be feeling.

So, we're all doing this with each other, taking turns, and I notice this guy is all by himself. I asked him "Would you like me to be your shoulder holder downer?" He said "ok, sure" (it would have been quite acceptable to have said no, people do that all the time. there's no pressure to do something you don't want to, plus some people have boundaries.)

Anyway, he said ok with no hesitation, so I'm like "cool"

As soon as I applied my hands (gently) to his shoulders, with the minimum needed pressure, he said "oh, no, that's enough, stop" so of course I did, no problem.
Then he said, in a louder than the soft voice people usually using to address someone in yoga class, if at all "I'm delicate, and you're too rough, and you hurt me"

For an instant, I thought he was kidding, but no, he was apparantly serious.
Shocked

um...sorry.
After class, someone I know came up to me and asked "Did I hear that guy actually say he was delicate and you hurt him?"

Anyway, I'd totally forgotten about it, until tonight.

I was feeling really lazy tonight, but wanted to go to yoga, so I went to a deep relaxation class, which is basically lying flat on your back for an hour (Man, this yoga stuff is Hard) while the teach reads something, taking you through a guided relaxation.
That class is in a small room, and there were about a dozen people, who all had to make room for each other and our desires to put one arm out at an angle if that's the only way to be comfortable, etc.
It's like, we're all going to take a nice group nap, so let's be good nappers and make space for everyone. It's cozy and nice. I was the 2nd to last person to get there, so had to finagle a spot. The the last person came in and we all had to readjust a few inches to give her a few feet to call her own.

We went around the room introducing ourselves, and to say if we had any physical problems that day. I hadn't really looked around, and when the guy next to me spoke I looked at him, while he was telling the teacher that "since I've started doing yoga, I developed the slighted case of tintinitis, so don't think him rude since he had these white noise buds in his ears."

It was Mr. Delicate.

Hey, I was cool with that, I figured I just wouldn't wrestle him to the ground after class.
He had no problem hearing with his ear buds in, it seemed, when the teacher answered him in a soft voice, and went on to the next person.
I looked at him, leaned closer and said softly "I had tintinitus at one point, it's really maddening isn'....."

"I can't Hear you." Again, in this louder than soft voice, and indicated his ear buds, while giving me this really snarky smile like "why would you ever think I could hear you with the white noise going on in my head?"

I just said "oh", and turned my head back toward the front. But at the same time, the person on the other side of me said (I swear, this is more conversation during yoga class I have ever heard) Well, if you can't hear her, how are you going to listen to what the teacher is saying to do?

Without thinking, I warm to the subject...

"yeah, how?"

hmmm....he heard both of us....

"oh....I'd...I'm going to turn the volume down. She just caught me off guard....

Yeah, I'm like a crouching 3 toed sloth, waiting to flatulate into action.

anyway, we all lie down, get all comfy. I've got my arms closer to my body than normal, out of consideration to others, when it starts.

touch...............twitch, touch...........move hand slighty, touch, twitch......

You know what?
When you're lying in a darkened quiet room, with no sensory input, mind turned inwards, someone repeatedly touching the side of your hand with theirs is a very, very noticable sensation. You obviously know if you're doing it, flesh to flesh.

My first intinct was just to shove my whole body a couple of inches away, but I someone knew that wouldn't end it.
I then thought, "ok, just like an itch, I'll just take my mind away from it"

.....twitch....touch......move.....

So, I do what, in the situation, seemed really ballsy to me. I slide my hand over, picked his hand up, and moved it away from mine. In that quiet situation, it's the same as slapping someone hand off your knee, or boob. It's a definate statement.

mother.....******....he moves the hand right back......twitch....twitch....

Finally, I half sit up and say "all right, I give up, and shove over" The teacher, who hadn't started yet, said "Are you all right chai?" Everyone knows me, big surprise.

"Well, I am now"

Anyway, I know this guys game, it's not about me, he's just a prick. If, afterwards he said something to me, I would have calmly told him I would totally jump his **** if he ever looked at me again, and just walked away.

There, my petty emotions are gone already.

But, why do people have to be like that?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,153 • Replies: 16

Eva

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 08:31 pm
Yeah, these sorts of people can really set your nerves on edge.

You know, if he's making it impossible for you to enjoy the class, it would be extremely easy to make him go away. In fact, I'm surprised you haven't tried to run him off before now. As more than one person on A2K has learned, Chai doesn't suffer fools gladly.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 04:28 am
@Eva,
thanks eva

I don't want him to go away. why would I? He's got as much right to be there as anyone.
I've never encountered the man but once before now, so I don't even know him.

I don't go to yoga to learn how to put my leg behind my neck, it's deeper than that.

This isn't about him in particular, or yoga, it's just wondering why a person has the need to be like him.

Actually, his need is something else, but he's either fighting it, or using his passive aggressive techniques, trying to achieve what he really needs.

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:24 am
He's a Drama Queen - just stay away from him.
Like across the room.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:42 am
I thought part of yoga was to learn not to be bothered.
alex240101

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:03 am
@chai2,
I think you handled that situation above and beyond a level of nice..

I do not know if this guys misery likes company, or, his gears upstairs are missing a few teeth.

My friend continually asks me to accompany them to yoga. A one hour nap, among meditating and stretching sounds good.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:06 am
@chai2,
Ferking weirdo.

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:22 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

I thought part of yoga was to learn not to be bothered.

Well, you're on the right track saab. Some of yoga's purposes are to develop tolerance, balance and nuetrality. Not that you don't experience joy, sadness, anger, etc, but that it's in perspective.

I don't believe there's any sort of time schedule in which this is done, it's obviously a lifelong work in progress. That's why it's called a practice.

Also, life is not a "grin and bear it" propositon. Practicing yoga doesn't mean being taken advantage of, any more than it means taking advantage of others. We're all within our rights to let someone know our desires, and when a line has been crossed.

There's no problem with "avoiding" this particular person. The place I go to has 5 different locations around the city, and I go to most of them. On any given day, there's 50 or so different classes offered, in all different styles of yoga. Even if he was in the same room, most likely I wouldn't even notice. Anyway, I don't think we go to the same type of yoga....if he's delicate, he wouldn't be going to kundalini.

At this point, what peaks my interest is wondering what he is seeking. We all have our own roads.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 09:24 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Ferking weirdo.

You know what dlowan, you have that exactly right.

He's absolutely a weirdo.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:49 am
@chai2,
I have gone to yoga 15 years and still pratice certain things and now I doing some kind of dance which always ends with the same relaxing things as yoga
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:50 am
@saab,
So then, what was your purpose in asking a question to which you already knew the answer?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:11 am
I think the answer comes from looking at the boundary between self/other, the individual and the cosmos. This guy is constantly tweaking that which is outside, and when his actions cause a response then he has confirmation that he is alive.

This is a manifestation of insecurity, it has nothing to do with you personally except that he finds you interesting enough to chose you to tweak.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:21 am
@chai2,
It was not a question but a statement.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:23 am
Chai wrote:
He's absolutely a weirdo.

How come that you, a discerning lady, go to yoga classes with a weirdo? Shocked
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:25 am
@chai2,
Just bitch slap the delicate flower.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:30 am
Chai,

Is it possible that this guy is using you as a subject for some type of psychology research project?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 04:20 pm
Oh man.

This is TOTALLY what I should have done...

0 Replies