Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:55 am
I have been a patient at a city hospital (Bellevue) for the past five years. I'm still alive, so they must be doing something right.

I was asked to participate in the creation of a video that was presented to legislators several months ago. I also was asked to attend the breakfast with the legislators.

Today I got a call. The head of PR at the hospital asked my contact to call me. The hospital is holding a press conference Friday, and they want me to attend and participate. A major city hospital was recently closed. The conference is to discuss budget issues. I said yes.

Not noivous. But I guess I'm gonna have to wash my hair.

I asked if I'm the only patient there who can talk. No, but they like me. My voice leaves a great deal to be desired, but I guess no one cares.

As an aside, I've been having art therapy sessions recently. Last week I was asked to be a spokesperson at the next fund-raising session. I said yes.

Okay, this thread is nothing but me bragging. Hey, what else have I got to do? (Also, I'm kinda excited and wanted to share.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 4,853 • Replies: 50

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:11 am
@Roberta,
Yay!!

Vunderbar across the board.

Any chance there will be videos of the press conference available somewhere? Or maybe even live streaming?
Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:20 am
@sozobe,
soz, I have no idea. I assume it will all be local. Don't know who will be getting what. Don't know what I'm expected to do or say. Going anyway. When somebody asks me I question, I'll answer it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:24 am
@Roberta,
I read about that hospital closing and was thinking about the impact of that. It seems like it would be major.

I'm thrilled for you to be so well appreciated! Am looking forward to reading all the details after the events.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:37 am
@Roberta,
I betcha you'll be on NY1.

Will have to see if we can pick that up.

Good goin', you spokesperson!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 12:07 pm
Was this the previous press conference where they showed your video?

http://assembly.state.ny.us/member_files/074/20100312/

Kavanagh Addresses Bellevue Community Advisory Board at Legislative Breakfast: On January 22nd, Assemblymember Brian Kavanagh joined the Community Advisory Board (CAB) at Bellevue Hospital for its annual legislative breakfast. CAB President Louise Dankberg presided over the event, coordinated by Legislative Committee Chairperson Paula Schaeffer. Speakers at the event included Kavanagh, State Senator Tom Duane, Councilmember Dan Garodnick, Assemblymember Jonathan Bing, Bellevue Hospital Center’s Senior Vice President and Executive Director Lynda Curtis, and Senior Vice President of Corporate Planning, Community Health and Intergovernmental Relations for New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC) LaRay Brown. Brown presented on the impact to Bellevue and other HHC hospitals by the proposed State Fiscal Year 2010-2011 budget, following which a short video entitled, "Bellevue Is Too Essential to Fail - Speaking Out: Bellevue Patients Supporting Our Mission," was shown to the audience. The patients who starred in the documentary received a standing ovation.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 01:50 pm
Yay, Roberta!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 02:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I read about that hospital closing and was thinking about the impact of that. It seems like it would be major.

I'm thrilled for you to be so well appreciated! Am looking forward to reading all the details after the events.

Thought I'd add, since adoption is on the air waves recently, that my parents almost adopted a sister for me from there (St. V's) back in 1950, be we moved out of state.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 02:34 pm
There's an article here about the budget concerns:

http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/153091
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 02:56 pm
Butrflynet, The paragraph you found is indeed where the video was shown. It wasn't a press conference; it was a breakfast. The article you found says that Bellevue will be picking up the patients from St. Vincents. Aaaargh. Bellevue is too busy now. Too many patients. Not enough doctors and other medical personnel to go around. Endless waits will become even more endless. (That makes no sense, but I don't care).

I'm not a hundred percent sure why they keep turning to me. But I'm glad to help if in fact I can help. Of course, there's a chance that I'll say something I shouldn't. Wouldn't be the first time.

I don't know whether the conference will end up on the news. I guess it depends on what else happens that day.

Bethie, I would not be at all surprised to find the conference on NY1.

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:38 pm
I love the new thread!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:42 pm
@Roberta,
Awesome Roberta! I hope there is a way we can see it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:27 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:

Today I got a call. The head of PR at the hospital asked my contact to call me. The hospital is holding a press conference Friday, and they want me to attend and participate. A major city hospital was recently closed. The conference is to discuss budget issues. I said yes.

Good for you, Roberta!

Quote:

I asked if I'm the only patient there who can talk. No, but they like me.

Will you be giving a speech?

Please report back after the event. This is exciting!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:54 pm
@Roberta,
I did a pretty good search on various subjects to see if the press conference had been announced anywhere and couldn't find anything. I'll look again later in the week and post it if I find anything.

Also did a search for the video title to see if it had been uploaded anywhere. No dice. Sad
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:36 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
I'm not a hundred percent sure why they keep turning to me.

Well, you're articulate for a start. And nobody's fool. Maybe somebody's hoping you'll say something you shouldn't -- that needs to be said.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 06:04 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I'm not a hundred percent sure why they keep turning to me. But I'm glad to help if in fact I can help. Of course, there's a chance that I'll say something I shouldn't. Wouldn't be the first time.

Why would they NOT ask for you Shocked you would be a fabulous advocate for many who are less able to kvetch and give encouragement to so many who are less able than you.- because you can give them and those who listen the true story - emotional, physical and what more could be done to help those that need it as you did, what support if best resourced... i couldn't think of a better person to tell it like it is - they loved you girl, as we do, for your honesty and integrity and who else could be as big a success as you and to articulate the things that the professionsgovering bodies need to do to make this life a experience less of a nightmare for those who will go thru it. People need to know the harsh realities and to see a suvivor.

It also empowers you to speak your mind. Good on you gal. We don't tell you enought how incredibly proud we are of you - each and everyone of us... I'd say fer sure dear lady. Roar, gently with a little grrrrrrrrrrr in amongst. Tell them what would make a difference to the healh care.

You are an incredibly brave lady, an inspiritation - of couse they want and need you. You can make a difference to so many.

You will be ab fab goil. Love you x

(please do not get overtired love... do what you can do but please don't push yourself too much at this point. your wellness at this point far outweighs the benefits.)

Love love you querida. x
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 06:09 pm
@Roberta,
Yeehaw!!!! They recognize a mighty kvetcher before the lord when they see her!!! Go goil!!!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 06:26 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta,
Soon Roberta, this quote will be yours!!

Quote:
And I promise you I'll never desert you again because after 'Fund Raising Brunch' we'll make another press conference and another press conference. You see, this is my life! It always will be! Nothing else! Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!... All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

Wowzer!! A real live local celebrity! Tell us when its being broadcasted. Maybe I can watch it on the tube. I wonder if NY1 will be televising it....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm
littlek, A nice change of pace.

mismi, I hope there's a way I can see it. Don't know where it will show up. At this point, I don't know much.

olga, Nope no speechifying by me. Of course I'll let you know what happens. Foist, I gotta know what happens.

Butrflynet, You are one busy camper. I appreciate your doing all this checking around. You probably know more about what's going on than I do.

Tai, Articulate. Yeah, I am. Nobody's fool. I'll grant you that one. Do you think they really want me to say something I shouldn't? I kinda doubt it, but if they do, stand back!!!

Izzie, Thanks for the enthusiasm and the vote of confidence. You (and some other folks here) see somebody I don't see. Of course the possibility is that they stumbled upon a genuine ham. I have no qualms about speaking in public. I like it. Many people don't feel that way. Don't know why it doesn't bother me. One of my numerous weirdnesses. It's going to be a very hectic week. I'll try not to get too tired. Tomorrow, taxes. Wed., doctor's appointment.
Thursday, dinner with a friend. Friday, press conference and two doctor appointments. I haven't had a week like this in years.

deb, My kind of raw kvetching talent can't be hidden forever. Watch out woild. The kvetch queen is about to be televised.

tsar, I don't want no steenkin' close-up. You can tell Mr. DeMille to shove it. I wouldn't be surprised if the conference turns up on NY1. I'll be flipping channels to find me. You flip too. One of us is bound to find it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:40 pm
How exciting is that? Way to go Roberta!!!
Once the National Enquirer starts hunting you down, you'd need an agent!
You're one of those (now) rare New Yorkers who has all the right qualities a
TV personality can have. Before you know it, you're in "Saturday Night Life from NY".....

1. Forums
  2. » Press Conference
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:58:43