sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 06:45 am
@Green Witch,
A relative died recently, one who I wasn't friends with on FB, and he keeps popping up in the "suggestions" column. His account is apparently still active.
dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 07:02 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

A relative died recently, one who I wasn't friends with on FB, and he keeps popping up in the "suggestions" column. His account is apparently still active.

At last!

Semi-eternal life!!!

On Facebook..... : (
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:13 am
I joined Facebook to meet up with several sets of people: the folks I used to hang out with at a coffee house in the late 60's, my far-flung relatives as well as the close-by ones and the various other people from around this city and elsewhere who still are deluded into thinking I have anything of interest to say.

I have made friends with many strangers -runners, musicians, people who live in or near the city- sometimes just based on a comment they have made about a program or something they posted about what they were doing. (I just found a jobsearch support group from one tangential remark.) My high school reunion seems to be gathering steam because of the many friend-meetups made on FB and I get to see all my nieces and nephew's kids grow up while comparing notes on genealogy with several scattered cousins. I get to play Scrabble with my kid in Houston. That's been really a lot of fun.

And, I have to say this, I was sick and tired of people hiding behind their avatar to say mean, unfounded or otherwise exasperating statements on every subject under the sun. I'm referring to those aimed at others here, not at me. I just think it is so cowardly.

We had a long, in depth discussion of healthcare on FB without any of the truly vile (and dishonest) canards being tossed about on this board. Funny how FB is a lot more like speaking in a public place and how that helps in maintaining some sense of civility. (Oh, I just had an idea for a thread: What can you say on A2k that would get you punched in the face in any bar? And why do you still say it?)

I come back here less and less now.

However, if any of you are in New York, I'd be honored to buy you a drink.

Joe(going to go start that thread)Nation

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:30 am
I find Facebook to be a big time saver for me. I use it for many purposes. I keep in touch with many relatives in Massachusetts, several of which are battling final stages of terminal cancer.

I've also gotten back in touch with high school classmates that I've not had contact with for more than 30 years. It is great to share memories and catch up on their lives.

I use it as a news feed to track the posts of my favorite media outlets, reporters and commentators. Via these posts, I often know about breaking news way before it hits Google news or the 24/7 news stations. It gives me an opportunity to ask questions and make comments about items in the news to the people reporting it.

I have a list of politicians I keep track of to learn what's on their agendas and give them feedback and support.

I have a list of shopping websites that I track for sales announcements.

I have friends from around the world that I exchange gardening info with on another website. We now can keep in touch on other matters besides gardening.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 10:26 am
is there a major problem on facebook today?

i've gotten at least 4 really strange messages from a cousin, directing me to a movie download site, and other folks on twitter seem to be buzzing about their accounts
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:44 am
I agree with ceili and eoe . . . the more you use it, the better it gets. When I joined . . . sometime in 2009 . . . there were only 6 people from my college there and one other member of my high school class, someone I had forgotten about. Since then, the numbers have blossomed.

I am friends with all my kids' friends, people I knew from their preschool days. It is great to see what their lives are like.

I have discovered that I have much in common with some of my former classmates and absolutely nothing in common with others. I have come to better know people that I had "nodding relationships" with in the past and have learned how much we share.

I also love it when I receive matching political or literary or music comments from friends of mine who have never met each other, who live in different areas. It makes me feel like we are part of a circle.

I do not play the games because I really don't like many games but my daughter and I occasionally play Scrabble on line.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 11:48 am
@Phoenix32890,
To a great extent? No. I basically use it when I want to promote a noteworthy article or podcast. I use the Facebook button on the article webpage and send to my Facebook profile page.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 12:12 pm
I try to avoid as much controversy as I can on facebook. Most of my relatives would not understand.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 12:40 pm
I am on Facebook using the names of other people. I generally just use the names of people who I know will never use the service because I like to watch the interaction when I'm down at the cafe -- "What! I never said such a thing! I don't even know what Facebook is. Wait! Come back!"
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm
I am on facebook, and read my wall most days, but almost never write. I dont like that level of discourse.The only thing that I do like is the ease of pic sharing. I am on facebook at all only because it is the easiest way to keep up with a lot of people in a shallow manor.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 01:36 pm
i love facebook.

friends, family, a2k, even my business is on there.
I got work from it, find people through it, and just like a2k can spend hours just reading junk.

love it. Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:29 pm
I have two accounts - the Calamity Jane a2k account and then a private one
for "the Germans" and close friends. I don't use either one on a regular basis,
the phone is still my main tool to connect.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 02:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I try to avoid as much controversy as I can on facebook. Most of my relatives would not understand.

I wished you had warned me before my Stella Artoisgate Scandal.
http://able2know.org/topic/143463-1
0 Replies