Curious question about landfill "spouts"

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 10:07 am
Drving by a landfill - I notice all these spout like things. Tons of them. They look like water spouts with the pipe coming out of the ground, but where the water should come out, there is a hose-like thing going back in the ground.

Doesn't seem to make sense to me - you have a pipe coming out of the ground and then a hose going back in the ground. Anyone have a clue or knowledge what the h*ll these are for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,720 • Replies: 17

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 10:09 am
@Linkat,
they vent the gasses that develop as the waste decomposes...

(so it can stink for years after they close it...) Wink
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:03 am
@Rockhead,
So it opens up? It looks like the hoses just go directly into the ground that why it didn't seem to make sense to me.

If so, I'd hate to live nearby when it is opening up day.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:07 am
Worry more about ground water contamination than outgassing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:09 am
@Linkat,
Maybe they're extracting methane. The spout would corrospond to the well casing in a gas well, with the hose being the production string.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:24 am
@roger,
All modern design landfills have gas collection and venting systems. The "spouts" are all connected to a permeable layer underneath into which the landfill gases seep. The vents then collect the cages and deliver it to the vertical pipes where technicians can see (by pressure gages) that that specific area of the gas vents are actually working, and further, to be able to sample the gas using what are called "Tedlar Bags" which fluff up when they fill with gas. These are taken to a lab to see the gas makeup. The hoses going back into the ground are hooked up to a collection pipe system which goes to a treatment gas cleanup system then to a lfare pipe or a "gas to electricity" plant. Its all pretty nifty but they still have problems from douche bags driving over the pipes and cruching them, or bad designs or even burrowing animals digging up the vent layers.
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:27 am
@farmerman,
See I knew if I ask, I'd find out. Either that or you guys are really good at making stuff up.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:33 am
@Linkat,
My associate "LArge Louis" Dellagrazzano, told me. PSSST, but I wouldnt ever call Large Louis a liar, knowatImean?
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:35 am
@farmerman,
Makes me wonder what is causing those gases in the landfills.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:47 am
@Linkat,
"LArge Louis" wanted me to tell you that he had nothin to do with them, he was out of town that day.
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 12:23 pm
@farmerman,
Don't tell Large Louis anything about me ..... please
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 01:59 pm
@Linkat,
fuggedaboudit
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:08 pm
@Linkat,
It's methane mostly. It is created when the garbage decomposes. Some landfills collect it and use it as fuel, but a lot just vent it into the atmosphere.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:13 pm
@Swimpy,
In Pa , they are NOT allowed to vent it at all. It would be a violation of 2000$ a day per occurence .Some landfills have multiple gas collection systems
Swimpy

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:17 pm
@farmerman,
I wish that were true in Iowa.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 02:36 pm
@Swimpy,
Some places build an arboretum over it.. (I didn't notice any venting.)
Swimpy

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:31 am
@ossobuco,
Closed landfills have been turned into public spaces but we don't allow any tree planting. That could disrupt the cap.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:33 am
@farmerman,
here on the wide open prairie, we don't collect the gas, just vent it.

but we don't bag all the cows, either...
0 Replies