The Official a2k Virtual Red Sox Luxury Box is Now Open!

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 01:24 pm
Quote:
Red Sox, Ryan Dempster close

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox are confident they are closing in on an agreement with
free-agent pitcher Ryan Dempster, according to a baseball source.

There were indications Thursday that the veteran pitcher will not require a third year
on his contract to seal the deal, the source said.

The right-handed Dempster turned down a two-year, $25 million offer last week from
the Red Sox and a two-year, $26 million deal from the Royals, according to the source.
The 35-year-old Dempster was believed to be seeking a three-year deal.
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:09 pm
@Region Philbis,
Here we go again: overpaying for an over-35 and injury-prone pitcher. Where have I seen this before?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:16 pm
@Ragman,

they can afford a (hopefully) reliable starter for two years.
trouble is he struggled against the AL when he was on texas last year...

speaking of texas, hamilton is going to the angels -- 5 years, $125 mill ...
Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wow! What a contract! I thought for sure Hamilton would stay in Texas.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:42 pm
@Ragman,

the Battle for Los Angeles is on...

starting to get psyched about baseball again.
the AL east will be intense -- someone's gotta finish in last place...
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:50 am
@Region Philbis,

sawx to sign the "other" Drew (stephen)...
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 01:15 pm
@Region Philbis,

one and done for cody ross...

also, sawx set to acquire pirates closer hanrahan.
not sure what's up with incumbent bailey.
either it sets up competition for the spot, they don't have faith in him, or they want him to be the set-up guy...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 03:19 pm

hanrahan is a done deal, and will be the closer next year -- in exchange for reliever melancon and a trio of minor leaguers.

bailey is expected to be demoted to set-up...
Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
But what of Dempster?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 06:42 pm
@Ragman,

i think he's slated to be the #5 starter, behind lester, buchholz, dubront and lackey -- not necessarily in that order...
Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:13 am
@Region Philbis,
Are they still stuck with Lackey? Didn't his arm fall off?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 08:40 am
@Ragman,

they are... it did, but he got a brand-spankin' new bionic elbow.
i think they'll give him one year to regain his pre-sawx form.
if he still stinks, i can see them trading him and/or eating the final year of his contract...
Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 02:24 pm
@Region Philbis,
You gotta love those bionic bits and pieces. I'm part bionic myself.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:37 am
@Ragman,

Quote:
I'm part bionic myself.
uhhhhh, what part?

in other news, bobby V has landed a radio gig...
Ragman

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 11:40 am
@Region Philbis,
I have a 'bionic defib/pacemaker.'..so part of me has wiring and computer.

Hey that's great news about Bobby V's gig. He's a real colorful character! I wonder if that means he gets a TV gig, too? I gotta read that article further.

That NBC Sports on TV cable is now looking to be poised to kick ESPN's ass. They're taking broadcasters (Michelle Beadle and others) from their TV reg sched proggies and giving them some great new shows.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:04 am
Quote:
Sources: Mike Napoli, Red Sox agree

Mike Napoli will sign a one-year deal with the Boston Red Sox, a source told ESPN Dallas
103.3 FM's Ben Rogers on Thursday.

Napoli and his team from last season, the Rangers, had reopened talks, and Texas even
offered more money than the Red Sox, a source told ESPNDallas.com, but he chose Boston
because he'd get a more clearly defined role with more at-bats. With Texas, Napoli would
have shared playing time at catcher (A.J. Pierzynski), first base (Mitch Moreland) and
designated hitter (Lance Berkman) -- so he opted to take a one-year deal with Boston.

The deal comes more than six weeks after the free-agent catcher/first baseman agreed to
a three-year, $39 million deal with Boston. That deal was taken off the table when Napoli,
in the judgment of the team's medical staff, failed his physical because of a hip condition
that never had surfaced publicly in his seven previous years in the big leagues, the first five
with the Los Angeles Angels and the past two with the Rangers.

Sources with knowledge of the discussions told ESPN.com's Jim Bowden on Wednesday that
there were indications the deal will be for less than the $13 million average annual value of
the original agreement.
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 10:43 am
@Region Philbis,
When healthy, he offers some punch...probably good for 25 HR and 60-80 RBIs over a full season. Sniffing out his injury-prone history and a possibility of damaged goods:; however, he's proved in his past that he's a Fenway hitter...during the ALDS in '08:

..."Napoli unloaded 2 mammoth home runs against Red Sox Starting Pitcher Josh Beckett, helping extend the game into extra innings. He then singled and scored the game-winning run in the 11th inning, preventing the Red Sox from sweeping the series."[/size]
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:24 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
he's a Fenway hitter
absolutely.
we witnessed one of his bombs in 2011.
it was one of those "it just sounded different" crack of the bats...
Ragman

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 11:30 am
@Region Philbis,
Pardon my cynicism but somewhere I've seen this script before..and typically it ends up with a team (often the Sawx) spending more money than they should on damaged goods. Then the available cash (plus luxury tax) and 'spending ceiling' gets exhausted and they don't fill their bigger need for a starting pitcher or solid reliever with a (non-damaged) pedigree.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 08:00 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Mike Napoli will sign a one-year deal with the Boston Red Sox, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Napoli's contract is for one year with a base salary of $5 million, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney.
With incentives, he can play himself to a $13 million payday, which boosts the compensation to
the level of the three-year deal he first agreed to with Boston early this offseason.
(espn)

i think it's a good gamble for a team that can afford it...