Whole Foods No Longer Accepting Checks

roger

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 04:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
Can't wait to hear how it goes when you try to collect penalty and interest charges equivalant to what you would pay for a corrosponding late payment.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 04:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Several stores in our area have check readers so you dont even have to fill out the check. All you do is sign a register tape and the check is posted as "VOID" and the transfre made. It beats the quick check cards and credit cards. Quick check (debit) cards are slowly being charged a fee for service like credit cards. A check is still the only way that 10 bucks on the tape is 10 bucks paid.

Also, there are ATM machines around here at certain chain convenience stores(711, Turkey Hill minit marts. and WaWa) that dont charge andy ATM fee for your "yuppee food stamps" .(What we used to call ATM fresh 20$ bills).

Some stores around here have that, or did last time I paid by check.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I do online banking and have an ATM, but right now I am writing a check
to the IRS Evil or Very Mad

Don't remind me.

oh, irish, they do take credit cards, but you have to pay a fee.

fuggedaboudit.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:23 am
If Whole Foods is no longer accepting chicks, does this mean my wife will not be able to buy chamomile tea?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:37 am
@JPB,
I personally like it. Can't stand when some bonehead pulls out their checkbook to write a check while I am waiting behind them. Don't they have a damn debit card? Works the same way and to me is better for the customers and store (no worries of bouncing checks) and I would think it would be safer to type in your pin (assuming you don't allow anyone to look over your shoulder.
0 Replies

TraderJoesformenow

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:57 am
What's wrong with not accepting checks - You either carry cash or the credit card companies get a 2-3% (?) cut out of every sale. I have essentially stopped shopping at Whole Foods because they do no take my check anymore. I shopped there for several years and one day they couldn't be bothered to take my check any more.
I didn't do it deliberately, but I notice I hardly every go there anymore. They have lost a loyal customer - I used to spend a LOT of money there. Now I go to Trader Joe's where they happily take my check.

It does not take a long time to process a check in the line - no more than a credit card.

What's missing here is customer service and a caring for their long time customers.

0 Replies

TraderJoesformenow

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:59 am
Furthermore, I am not a bonehead. It takes no longer to pay with a check than with a card if you have signed it ahead of time. The credit card companies are making money off you every time. They do not have your best interests at heart. It is not how fast you can check out either. Life is not how fast you can grab your food and run.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:03 am
I agree with Linkat. I have worked in retail far too long and I detest people who use checks because it takes so long.

Let's face it. Many who write checks often do so because they do not have the money and the check hedges their bets.

I never had a credit card and use a debit.
0 Replies

Rvnd

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 04:51 pm
Checks are very safe to use and I always used them at whole foods now that option is going to be taken away I don't use credit cards and I don't carry that kind of cash,the check is written on my bank,that is what banks are used for.
Oh well other supermarkets are carrying organic foods that take checks.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 06:06 pm
I had some hilarity on the matter of my property tax a few months ago. I got credit for the online deposit by the county, but I still had the money in the bank as days went by, and then more days. I made many calls. That got complicated and then more complicated and somewhere in there I just went downtown and wrote a check. I hardly have any of those left as it is.

This was an opportunity for me to converse with extreme higher ups, and that worked out. I take it they liked my honesty/humor which I think of as not so much honesty, that too, but confusion, mixed with worry. Especially my confusion on dealing with two, not one, but two, people in the county department named Dennis Chavez. I thought one was younger and described him as such when calling, but the telephone person told me they were just about the same age. (laughs) They both showed up at the counter the day I appeared in their office.

I think I have enough checks left to deal with comedic situations, but I may be forced to get a new batch of them at some point.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 06:15 pm
@Rvnd,
Rvnd wrote:

Checks are very safe to use and I always used them at whole foods now that option is going to be taken away I don't use credit cards and I don't carry that kind of cash,the check is written on my bank,that is what banks are used for.
Oh well other supermarkets are carrying organic foods that take checks.

I'm going to assume you're 95+ years old and haven't heard of the modern banking advancement known as a debit card. Been around for well over 10 years now.
chai2

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 06:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Plus, when was the last time that poster was at WF's?

The last post was 4 years ago.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 06:12 am
@tsarstepan,
weve had our credit and debit cards hacked TWICE and in one transaction the perps tried to liberate 3K. Debit cards have an auto "per-day" amount cap, but credit cards will allow you to buy a car if you got the right one. We only have 1 high cap credit card and all the rest have like a 1k ceilings and we used to use prepaid amount cards for the kids when they were in college
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2014 08:49 am
@farmerman,
Same here, farmerman! My credit and debit cards have been hacked before,
credit card three times, but I have to say, my bank is very much on top of things: they blocked unauthorized use even before it hit my account.

For the life of it, I will never understand why the U.S. is not adapting to the smart cards they use all over Europe. They're safe and they can't be hacked!
The reason all these Russian hackers log into the U.S. is precisely THAT - we're the only ones who have an old credit card/banking system that is vulnerable to crooks.

Bank institutions rather pay billions in stolen funds then upgrade their system. Quite odd really. The media is all for it too!
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101355455#.
0 Replies