Suggestions for a road trip mix tape

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:43 am
I met a girl 2 weeks before the semester's over and I was thinking of burning her a mix tape of some music for the road trip back home before we leave. Her favorite band is Coldplay. She's incredibly mellow though, so I was thinking of putting some Wilco, or Kings of Leon (3rd album) on there. I'm worried it will come off depressing though... Should road trip music be spunky?

#1. Is it corny to make mix tapes these days?
#2. Any suggestions for what music I should add?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,613 • Replies: 19

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:50 am
Does she have a tape player? If not, you had better burn a CD for her.

Furthermore, you are the one who knows her, so how could we offer suggestions when we don't even know you?

That said, as a woman (albeit of another generation), I would be flattered if a man made a tape for me. It would serve as a sign that he is thinking that this new relationship has a future . . . which is something that must loom in your mind, although your relationship with her is very new.

Run through your mind and see if you remember any comments she made on music. Include any that she said she liked and avoid like the plague any that she disliked. Put in a few of your favs because one of your purposes should be to 1.) remind her of you, and 2) to give her a better insight into you.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:52 am
@brokencdplayer,
I love roadtrips and driving music - but I have to tell you- I have a lot of speeding tickets specifically because I download stuff that makes me put my foot down and sing and forget about the speed limit.
(I'm going 80 before I even see the lights in my rear view mirror)

My favorite driving music is the Allman Brothers:

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:55 am
@aidan,
You must have been an invisible passenger in my car when Marcia Ball's Little Blue House is playing. Buy, is it had to restrain myself when she's driving away on the keys.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:56 am
Brokencdplayer . . . you might want to consider the tempo of the music you record based on what Aidan and I have written!
aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:57 am
@plainoldme,
I only wish they had the Allman Brother 7 turns Album on youtube (my old car had a cd player). There are two songs on that album that just make me put the petal to the metal....it's the instrumental breaks - I look down at the speedometer and I'm over 90 and I don't even realize it.

I just got another speeding ticket here in England - I've already taken speed school once - one more ticket and I lose my license.
0 Replies

brokencdplayer

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:05 am
alright so it should probably be fairly upbeat. I lived in Eastern Europe for 2 years and mentioned to her that I liked euro-house-ish type music. would that be weird?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:11 am
@brokencdplayer,
The best way to win a woman's heart is to be yourself. Don't worry about being weird. Show this girl who you are so that she knows whether to bookmark this relationship for the future.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:15 am
@brokencdplayer,
It depends on what appeals to her and what she likes. Ask her. She'll appreciate it. For my birthday my daughter just asked me for a list of songs I wanted on my ipod and reprogrammed it for me (she didn't have any money for a 'real' present) but that was the best present I got! Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:16 am
Best road trip music is Creedence Clearwater Revival. Make her a CD of CCR and you're in like Flynn.
boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:38 am
The best driving song:

Followed by:

Rockhead

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:42 am
@boomerang,
you forgot one, boom...

steppenwolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdiWEmTpwCY&feature=relate
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:51 am
ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
CCR and John Fogerty

great driving music

nothing better than a good mix

Asleep at the Wheel's kind of obscure but some of their stuff is great to drive to.

don't forget to check what kind of player her vehicle has - lotta cars (including pretty much every rental I've seen lately) use USB ports for music, so you'd need to put together MP3's (or is it some higher number now?) rather than a c.d.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:42 pm
@Ticomaya,
If she's into classics (so to speak) I also like this stones song for driving - it's good because it builds slowly in speed and intensity - you have to be a real stones fan to overlook his falsetto vocal at the beginning - but the harmonies and Mick's emotion on the vocal eventually along with Keith's virtuoso guitar break make it one of my favorite stones songs ever even though it's from one of their least endorsed (by the critics) albums-Tattoo You (I love that album myself)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:53 pm
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:
Should road trip music be spunky?

I think there should be something annoying in the mix.

I find that if I'm pushing the limits of my driving time, some big-hat country music will keep me annoyed and awake a bit longer than something I like.

Mellow music isn't necessarily good unless the trip is verra verra short.
0 Replies

lufoooo2

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:24 pm
@aidan,
jason mraz and jack johnson are great for road trip music!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:35 pm
@Ticomaya,
That's an assumption based on your taste. Frankly, I would be rather unhappy with such a tape as I never liked that band. ANd this post is a reason why this person should not ask a broad group of people for specific songs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:41 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Brokencdplayer . . . you might want to consider the tempo of the music you record based on what Aidan and I have written!

sooooooo, you think tico's got it all wrong, the original poster shouldn't ask people for input ... but your input should be considered

0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:01 pm
@brokencdplayer,
brokencdplayer wrote:

#1. Is it corny to make mix tapes these days?
#2. Any suggestions for what music I should add?

Mix tapes are for romantics, pimp.

Hmmm. What goes with Cold Play and Wilco? Throw some Neko Case on there, dude, for sure. And some Fleet Foxes and M. Ward. Then, when you've got her in the palm of her hand, slay her with some Sam Cooke, just because you can.

Also, she might like this cat:

Tap that ass!
0 Replies