Ever Eat Something Unexpectedly Tasty?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Besides, red chard looks especially good in the garden. Then there are the squash bugs (or, whatever), also beautiful.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 07:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Squash bugs? Oh dear! My garden is still to heavy with clay as my attempt to conquer it failed and I can not afford to do raised beds again this year. Raised beds are the way to go, I think.

Anyway, I have spent hours on this infernal forum today and tomorrow I go to work again. I will say good night and listen to music and read!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 09:29 pm
I generally do not use convenience foods but a friend gave me some pale tea on a very warm day. It was 4 C powdered green tea. It makes a refreshing drink in bulk quickly.
0 Replies

ranoi

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:06 pm
@plainoldme,
Try banana and mayo as a sandwich
plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 08:14 pm
@ranoi,
Bananas are one of the three things I never eat . . . along with any form of licorice/fennel/anise and parsnips.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 04:48 am
Yesterday I was suprised at how much a fried egg with hash browns and a good ripe avocado mixed in with it tasted. I think avocado was meant to go with a fried egg.

Our large Irish family was the only ones I know that did this: put mayo on your pork&beans. Each successive generation still does this.

Squash bugs, ugh, they are a scourge in the garden.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:06 pm
I try to keep avocado on hand because they are truly an instant veggie and very nutritious. Even my crabby son is amazed at how easy they are.
Philis

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:30 pm
@plainoldme,
I really like avocado and yet I have heard it said they are high in fat? I think that is it. Probably the "good" fat. Once I lived in w.palm bch and there was a 90' loaded! avocado tree.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:03 am
@Philis,
I don't avoid foods . . . with the exception of those I dislike . . . but I do try to eat a balanced diet (which is difficult when you have long days and work two jobs). I have heard they are high in fat as well but there are fat soluble vitamins, so some fat is needed in our diets. When tomatoes aren't available, generally an avocado is and it makes a nice addition to a sandwich . . . or even a simple sandwich on its own.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:06 am
Does anyone else find that there are foods you tire of? By the time I was in college, I was sick to death of sandwiches after 12 years of school lunches. For a long time, I refused to eat them. Then, I went on a grilled cheese sandwich kick and had to eat one two or three times a week. I still love a grilled cheese but once in a while . . . not several times each week.
Philis

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Does anyone else find that there are foods you tire of? By the time I was in college, I was sick to death of sandwiches after 12 years of school lunches. For a long time, I refused to eat them.

Definately did not continue to eat oscar mayer bologna, campbells pork n'beans,yellow mustard and frozen fish sticks.
I have replaced them all with better products.
Deli ham or turkey,bush's brown beans, guldens brown mustard and fresh fish from the ocean.
Peanut butter and jelly is still a staple for me, JIF and blackberry jam.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
@Philis,
Peanut butter is a great instant food.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 08:44 pm
@plainoldme,
I get over some foods. For example, when I was a kid I like spaghetti-o's.

On food I have recently tired of, I'll pick chicken - but I'll blame that on my not having access to or able to afford good chicken. A zillion years ago when I spent time in italy, I was irritated that they all seemed (then) to overcook chicken, but at the same time, the flavor was great. Mostly I had chicken then in places with chickens in the yard of the compound where the small local restaurant was, chicks on the hoof.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:14 pm
@ossobuco,
My youngest went through a period when he ate a can of spaghetti-Os a day . . . in fact, at that time, he ate the same things at the same time every day. It was an amazing time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:00 pm
@plainoldme,
It's a little hard for me now, decades and many taste escapades later, but I can imagine liking spaghetti-o's that much. First of all, it was slightly more interesting than all other food, at least in the early fifties.

I have childhood memories from the family across the street. Baloney sandwiches on white bread, canned chicken noodle soup, potato chips, kool aid.

Not to denigrate this family - I probably got interested in cooking from them.
But back yard parties and the foods could be addictive-like.
Philis

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:32 pm
@ossobuco,
I also gave up campbells chicken noodle soup, I find it way too salty now. (Is that how you spell baloney.)which one is it baloney or bologna?
plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:55 pm
@Philis,
I have never been a big salt fan and could use less than a pound of salt a year if left to my own devices.
0 Replies