I think I just had a panic attack

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:31 am
I'm not entirely certain, but I think I just exerienced a panic attack.

I felt extremely frightened, and I almost felt as though I was going to be sick. My chest tightened and it became difficult to draw breath, and this was accompanied by an extreme sense of terror. the feeing of terror was the main thing, for no apparant reason I felt extremely anxious. this feeling made it impossible to do anything, it was so overwhelming.

I've had a look at descriptions of panic attacks, and from that it would appear that that is what I experienced, but I'm no expert.

does anyone on here know more about panic attacks and why they occur?

gungasnake

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:39 am
@existential potential,
I'd go see a doctor (before Oinkbamacare sets in i.e. while you still can)...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:40 am
@existential potential,
sounds as though you did.

deep breathing and clearing your head is a start toward reversal...

and as gunky said so eloquently, please see a doctor about it if you can.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:42 am
@existential potential,
Sounds like one to me. I get them too. They're usually triggered by something that activates the "fight or flight" response neurologically. If you anxious about something -- or generally an anxious person -- then panic attacks can become quite debilitating.

Talking about it can help -- like you're doing here. If you can pinpoint something in your life that's causing you to be anxious and work towards alleviating your anxiety then the panic attacks should stop.

Sometimes folks have anxiety disorders that require anti-anxiety meds to control the panic attacks. Others can control them with meditation, breathing exercises and other relaxation techniques.

Are you particularly stressed about something?
0 Replies