Joe Biden is F**king Awesome

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:51 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
nobody from my parents' generation ever said "****'

I wouldn't go that far, but I can say I've never heard my mother or father say it - in any context - but especially not on the job standing at a podium representing the office of vice president of anything- much less the government of the United States- and they're of his generation.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me - that's just my opinion. It makes him sound like he's less mature and more of an idiot than I'd like to think he is.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:55 am

http://joebidensaidthat.com/

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:19 am
http://twitter.com/joefuckingbiden

Al Gore called me told me I had to unPLUG for an hour, I said real funny you fat **** and hung up.

Libs and cons have got to calm ******* down, haven't seen this much friction since Michelle O wore corduroys.

Is it me or does everybody on ******* msnbc other than rachel #maddow have a lisp and like tubesteak.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:35 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Yep, "****" is one of those dang slang terms kids today have come up with, nobody from my parents' generation ever said "****."

Must be major tongue in cheek, eh, Sozobe?

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.asp
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:55 pm
@joefuckingbiden The Boss is in ******* Afganistan you know what that means, ******* keg party at the White House..Clinton bring the hookers!

Very Happy
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:58 pm
@JTT,
I was being tongue in cheek too. I guess it comes down to time and place for me. I thought the days of the frat boys in the oval office might be over-listening to him speak there I'm surprised he didn't try to fist bump Obama.

It's embarrassing. Can you picture any other world leader standing at the podium and using such language? Not even 'Wow - this is historic' but a 'this is fuckin' big.' I don't care how much I like the two of them or what they're trying to do - this is a lapse.

I'd just like to see some dignity restored to the office at some point.
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:59 pm
@aidan,
ummm, dignity???, these people are politicians, lowest form of life in the universe
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:00 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah - call me crazy - but I had higher hopes for these two.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:07 pm
I have seen President O actually wince when Biden gets up to the microphone.
You just don't know what's going to come out of his (Biden's) mouth.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:15 pm
@sullyfish6,
PrezBO needed an old white guy on the ticket, but not a smart one.

You got exactly what you voted for... thanks a pant load.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 02:04 pm
@sullyfish6,
Politicians are just like everyone else. In unguarded or emotional moments, they spontaneously express themselves just like everyone else.

Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon were all known to use profanity. In fact, Alan Greenspan reported that, during a meeting with advisors, Nixon went on a profanity-laden rant, "That would have made Tony Soprano blush".

President Andrew Jackson owned a parrot that spouted profanity he had picked up from listening to his owner. According to witnesses who were present at Jackson's funeral, the parrot, who was present, had to be removed because he was using curse words.

About the only difference I can see is that most politicians use profanity in anger, but with Biden it becomes an almost positive adjective.

Quote:
What is it about the vice president's job and salty talk?
By JOEL CONNELLY
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

Vice President Joe Biden is rarely terse and to the point, but his off-mike aside on the health care bill to President Obama on Tuesday -- "This is a (bleepin') big deal!" -- is already up on T-shirts produced by Zazzie.com

What is it with America's potty-mouthed vice presidents? The office is famous for eliciting cuss words and gestures for which the Federal Communications Commission would slap fines if heard or seen at the Grammys.

Biden is exuberantly profane.

At one of the Obama administration's stultifying announcements of stimulus grants, a former Senate colleague addressed him as "Mr. Vice President." Biden grinned and replied, "Give me a (bleepin') break."

Usually, however, second bananas have cussed to vent anger and frustration with the job. The most famous example is Vice President John Nance Garner, a once-powerful House Speaker eclipsed by Franklin D. Roosevelt.

"The vice presidency isn't worth a pitcher of warm piss," Garner advised Lyndon Johnson, as LBJ wondered whether to join John F. Kennedy on the ticket. The last word was sanitized in the press as "spit."

After he was jettisoned from the 1976 Republican ticket, Vice President Nelson Rockefeller was pressed into service for the man who took his place -- Bob Dole. When protesters delivered a derogatory gesture at one stop, Rocky lifted the middle finger of his right hand in response.

Richard Nixon is undeniably the most sanctimonious -- perhaps hypocritical -- man to hold the job.

Debating Kennedy in the 1960 election, Nixon decried a salty-tongued remark by ex-President Harry Truman, saying that Dwight Eisenhower had "restored dignity, decency, and frankly good language, to the conduct of the presidency." Nixon pledged to maintain the "dignity of the office."

Backstage, minutes later, Nixon blew up at Kennedy, "That (bleeping) bastard. He wasn't supposed to use notes."

Conservative columnist Robert Novak witnessed a tired Nixon inspecting the set for his campaign-closing TV telethon. The staging displeased the vice president.

"Can't you stupid bastards do anything right?" cursed Nixon.

"Nixon continued his profanity-laced rant up to airtime, but not a word appeared in print or on the air . . . That's the way journalism was in those day," Novak wrote in his memoir "The Prince of Darkness."

Well, that was then. Microphones and hand-held phones pick up everything nowadays. And every statement is fair game. Ditto remarks made in such previously protected sinecures as the floor of the U.S. Senate.

Vice President Dick Cheney, declining to pose for a picture, told Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont: "Go (bleep) yourself."

Cheney not only confirmed the remark, but told an interviewer that it was "merited at the time."

A little bit of profanity can unite the ticket in a presidential race.

At a Naperville, Ill., rally in 2000, presidential candidate George W. Bush spotted a veteran political scribe, turned to Cheney, and said: "There's Adam Clymer, major league (bleep) from the New York Times."

"Oh yeah, he is, big time," Cheney replied.

Then-Vice President George H.W. Bush tried to play tough guy, especially in the face of press taunts over his cheerleading for Ronald Reagan.

Bush arrived at a meeting with longshoremen a day after debating the Democrats' vice presidential nominee Geraldine Ferraro. "I think we did kick a little ass last night," he said.

As Novak noted, the press once airbrushed such remarks -- most famously Lyndon Johnson's profane language and off-color stories.

No more. The bestseller "Game Change," an inside look at the 2008 campaign, has Hillary Clinton cussing up a storm at meetings with feuding senior nabobs from her campaign.

It quotes Sen. John McCain unleashing the f-bomb at his wife Cindy: "McCain let out the stream of sharp epithets, both middle fingers raised and extended, barking in his wife's face," the book relates. "Cindy burst into tears but, really, she should have been used to it by now."

Increasingly, the country is used to it.

Overhead microphones pick up whispers. Senior staff aides tattle to reporters, knowing that somebody else's "spin" will get in the media if theirs does not. Jettisoned advisers write tell-all memoirs. Late-night comedians relive gaffes.

Hence, Joe Biden's use of a dirty word to describe a "big deal" has inspired mirth rather than shock, as well as a wry response from White House spokesman Robert Gibbs: "And yes, Mr. Vice President, you're right."
http://www.seattlepi.com/connelly/417335_joel25.html

I'm not particularly bothered by what Biden said. I'm certainly not shocked. He was feeling upbeat and his emotions got the better of him, and it was intended to be a private comment to Obama. If anything, it indicates how comfortable he must feel with President Obama to use such language when speaking to him "in private".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
"Nixon continued his profanity-laced rant up to airtime, but not a word appeared in print or on the air . . . That's the way journalism was in those day," Novak wrote in his memoir "The Prince of Darkness."

I'd rather see honesty than charm, Aidan. I'd rather see honesty than hypocrisy. I'd rather hear the odd ****/****/********** than go thru eight years with a ****/****/********** in office.

Maybe that's just me.
sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:07 pm
@aidan,
You do get that it was not intended for anyone but Obama to hear, right? That it was private communication that the mics happened to pick up (but Biden didn't realize it)?

That makes a significant difference to me. He wasn't declaiming it from the podium, he was saying something privately to a peer that happened to get overheard.

Dumb of him to not realize that it could be overheard, sure (that's part of where "goofball" comes in), but that's about it. I don't think that once he became VP he should have somehow ceased using the word entirely. (Or that only people who never use the word should become VP in the first place.)

(JTT, yes, firmly in cheek. The whole idea that the word "****" and its variations are only used by people who are young or are pretending to be struck me as... odd.)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:19 pm
@JTT,
I guess I'd rather see honesty AND maturity than all of the above. I mean these people were occupiers of an international stage - and elected to represent our country. I feel like I'm looking at some sort of boys club or victory dance after a touchdown or something.

And you know - it WAS a historic moment - but now it'll all be overshadowed by the fact that the second in command of the most powerful country in the world couldn't control his impulsiveness and language until he was in private...you know - you want to continue to be represented by this sort of thing, when the US already has the reputation all over the world of being immature and impulsive and impetuous and etc. and etc. FINE...I'm sort of sick of being the lone American over here trying to defend our government when they can't even control their mouths...we ELECT these people to represent us and show some couth for god's sake.

Yeah - and Soz - would it be okay with you if your kid's teacher stood at the front of the class and said, 'Well, I'll be fucked - you guys all got 100's on your spelling tests- ooh sorry - I mean - Great job....!

I think the Vice President of the United States should be held to at least the same standards as a public school teacher in setting an example and using appropriate language as anyone else in any other job.

This doesn't mean I don't like him. It doesn't mean I wouldn't vote for Obama and him again. It just means I wish he'd have watched his mouth and thought about where he was and what he was doing before he blurted out what is ridiculously immature and impetuous language for a man of his stature while he is on the job.

I mean, I curse all the time - but I can always remember not to do it around my mother. Can't he be held to the same standard as that?
sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Yeah - and Soz - would it be okay with you if your kid's teacher stood at the front of the class and said, 'Well, I'll be fucked - you guys all got 100's on your spelling tests- ooh sorry - I mean - Great job....!

An adult said it to another adult. Which is different from saying it to kids. (As it happens, it wouldn't bother me though. My kid knows all the "bad" words and knows that I don't mind if she uses them at home [she doesn't, and doesn't seem to have any interest in it], but that she should know that they really bother some people and so they are words to be very careful with.)

But this is more like, one teacher says to another, "Well I'll be fucked, [weird usage but whatever], your class scored the best in the whole school! Good job!" And he thought it would be private but the intercom happened to be on. I know that'd exercise some people but would really be a shrug for me.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:26 pm
@aidan,
Do you guys even realize our country is a JOKE amongst a lot of the people around the world?
Do you think this sort of thing is any help in terms of raising our reputation at all?

I don't. That's why I don't like it.
I would have been just as against it no matter who did it- it all adds up.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Well I'll be fucked, [weird usage but whatever],

Not where I come from, or where I live now - but I guess it's all relative.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
An adult said it to another adult.

For the whole world to hear. If I believed for one minute that he was stupid enough that he believed that wouldn't be a possibility - I really WOULD be sorry I voted for them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@aidan,
Our country has been a joke for a very long time, and a swear word out of Biden's mouth is trivial compared to the real problems. I barely even noticed the story, until people began disussing it and keeping it alive.
aidan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah - and the jokesters continue to make sure we're a joke.