Depositing checks in a timely fashion

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:14 pm
I like to try and clump my deposits so as to limit my trips to the bank. When I get my paycheck, I grab whatever checks I have and go to the bank to deposit them. Small checks that come between paychecks usually wait (two weeks maximum) until I deposit my next paycheck.

Someone just told me that this practice of mine was annoying her. She wants to transfer money and needs to know what the balance of one account is so that she can make the transfer.

In my opinion, she should be maintaining her own balance - meaning she should know what checks she has outstanding. Of course, I don't want to have to alter my routine as I feel like this is a silly issue.

What say you masses?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,034 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:16 pm
@littlek,
I agree with you.

(passes an acorn)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:19 pm
Two weeks is quick for me.

I have an oak tree if anyone wants to come gather the acorns.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:19 pm
@littlek,
Find out what bank she uses, send her a link to the bank's website with a printout of how to use their website to monitor account activity and account balances.
littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hahaha.... that would be funny.

Maybe I should pay her in acorns. Wait! She's paying me. Must be bedtime.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 08:51 pm
@littlek,
She should be able to work with two weeks, and be able to do her own bookkeeping. Much longer, she might become concerned with checks lost in the mail, if they are mailed.

On the other hand, if she is paying you for something, is she by way of being some sort of customer? I used to bend over backwards for customers and even some vendors.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 05:13 am
if you keep a simple ledger , writing down everything that you do, you will know your balance without having to look at your bank website.

Though, I know for my OLD bank , I would be charged if my account was less than a certain amount. Maybe that is why the transfer is so important? But again.. if she knew that after your check cleared, or BECAUSE of your check amount she would be charged, then she should just add money. No biggie .
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 06:56 am
@littlek,
You don't say if this person is a client/customer. If she is, I would drive by the ATM/bank on the way home and drop that check in the slot, baby.

Limit your trips to the bank? Just how distant is this establishment?

Joe( A two-day ride over the pass?)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:10 am
@littlek,
I find it annoying, largely because I don't keep a separate cheque account, and the account is very fluid and I tend to assume cheques are presented reasonably quickly.

Two weeks wouldn't annoy me...but anything beyond that would.

I had a friend who kept one for months once.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:32 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
I would be charged if my account was less than a certain amount. Maybe that is why the transfer is so important? But again.. if she knew that after your check cleared, or BECAUSE of your check amount she would be charged, then she should just add money. No biggie .

not a biggie, unless you have to ask people if they've put the cheque/s through

that can get annoying

as for looking at the bank website, not everyone is online (seems crazy eh!), or their server doesn't like the bank's server (that happens to me with my cell bill - I signed up to see it online - but I can't - the firewall keeps blocking it) - they rely on the monthly statements and their personal cheque registers
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:47 am
@littlek,
I agree with you littleK.

Part of balancing my checkbook is to keep track of which checks are outstanding. After that, it is not difficult to subtract the amount of checks outstanding from my current balance to find out if I have enough money for whatever.

Factually, I prefer you not cash my checks right away. By not cashing my checks you are letting me keep the money a bit longer... meaning I get to at least make interest on it.

But in either case, two weeks is almost nothing.

Maybe your friend could pay you with PayPal or a money order (either of which would take the money out of her account right away as she wants)-- or she could just give you cash.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 07:51 am
@littlek,
My thoughts:

I find her position unreasonable, but if this is a valued customer, I would deposit her checks in a more timely manner, althought two weeks is timely IMO.

I would not give out your account information to allow her to directly deposit into your account. I'm not sure if that is what you were asking about.

If she uses electronic banking, she can pay you through them and they will mail you a check. Her account will be debited when they cut you the check and she will never know when you cash it since she pays the bank/check cutting company and they pay you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:43 am
I agree " she should be maintaining her own balances. I would also think she would want to " so instead she trusts her bank to calculate HER money correctly " pretty stupid in my opinion.

If I were you " I’d just ignore her rather than to inconvenience you simply because she is too lazy to maintain her own bank account.

And two weeks is completely reasonable.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:26 am
littlek, why don't you have a direct deposit for your paycheck?
As for depositing checks within 2 weeks, sometimes others struggle more
than they want you to know and knowing when the check they've written will
be cashed could help them in juggling around their funds.

If this person knows that you'll sit on the check for 2 weeks, he/she might
use the funds available in the meantime and redeposit it later. Who knows,
but it's easy to forget that there are checks still outstanding, if one doesn't
do online banking or works on a tight budget.

As for me: I deposit all checks right away either in person or via mail.
I am afraid that the check would bounce after 2 weeks or longer (has happened).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:31 pm
Thanks all. You've given me some things to think about.

This is not a client. This is a housemate. The check she is giving me is her portion of the utilities bill (I pay them all). She can easily see that it isn't deposited because it is on the cork board in the kitchen. She could have asked me to hold off on depositing it if she was short of funds.

During the week I drive to and from work and don't go much of anywhere else. I don't pass any ATMs or banks on my commute. I would need to go out of my way, which isn't horrible. But, I get charged a fee if I go over a certain amount of ATM transactions per month. I like to avoid that.

No I don't have direct deposit. It's on my list of things to organize.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 04:48 pm
@littlek,
Housemate, and she knows for certain the check isn't lost. Two weeks isn't at all untimely in this case.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:39 am
@littlek,
tell her to shove it up her a$$ - but I'd suggest you word it a bit more diplomatically.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:29 am
@littlek,
The cheque is on the corkboard?

I can still understand why she'd prefer you deposit it more promptly, but at least she doesn't have to ask you about it's status (and should be easily able to determine her account balance).
0 Replies