Shrinky Dinks - Making a Come Back

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:30 pm
A company named Klutz makes arts and crafts sets for kids. They made one with shrinky dinks and that was the first time I'd seen the stuff in decades. Last Xmas I found beautiful ornaments made by using the same plastic film. Now I see it in jewelry, magnets, hanging from window hooks, etc. My local art supply store has the standard clear and opaque, but it also has colors. You can even buy some shrink films that are safe to run through an ink jet printer.

The idea, for those who are unfamiliar with the process, is the following. You trace (or make your own sketch) on the plastic. Then you cut the shape out and pop it in a toaster oven. It curls and shrinks and flattens out, leaving you with a harder, smaller version of your original design.

If using an in jet, your options are limitless (you can use photos!)

Here's an example from an online source:
http://crookedhouse.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/13/shrinky_dink_jewelry_and_charms_2.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,322 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:43 pm
@littlek,
Yep, we went crazy with this about a year ago. Then our ardor cooled. They're fun though. (Best creation -- a rock 'n' roll charm bracelet with skull and crossbones, guitar, a baby devil, and three more things I can't remember now.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:46 pm
Did you print or sketch?
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:50 pm
wow, those are cool, love the full-color heart. I had no idea the stuff existed, will have to get some and experiment. That's what you ask for? Shrinky Dinks?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 02:52 pm
@littlek,
We did it by hand. (Colored pencil and pen mostly.) I can't find that bracelet! Darn.

Some tracing and some freehand. We got the Klutz kit and then branched out from there with our own designs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:03 pm
Shrinky dink is the brand name that goes back to the 70s (-ish). I'd ask for that and if they don't know the name, try shrink film.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:04 pm
Right now I have a blue whale, a Nautilus shell and a Pratchett pictsie stealing an egg. I tried to do my tattoo, but the film wrapped up in itself and got stuck as it was shrinking.

WARING: large or long designs may curl up on themselves and get stuck....
sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:06 pm
@littlek,
Oh yeah! Circles are best.

If you catch them JUST as they touch though you can pry em apart. I managed to get some long ones done that way (pry, back in, pry, back in). Just had to keep an eye on them as they cooked.

Are those printed or drawn designs? Sound cool!
sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 03:07 pm
@sozobe,
Fun thing for shapes -- hole punchers. You can make lacy cool designs. Also those shaped hole punchers, like leaves and stuff.
farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 04:54 pm
@sozobe,
sounds like a chicky thing.
djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
an american chicky thing at that, don't believe they ever had these in canada
littlek

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
Soz, thanks for the circle tip. It was a large one that got stuck. I traced all three images.

I'd guess it's definitely a chick thing. Except in somewhat rare circumstances.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 12:00 pm
@djjd62,
or Australia.

Does anyone in A2K know anything about Artistic Trading Cards?
I only learnt about it in the last 12 hours and am trying to gather up some sort of sense or reason for going to so much trouble to pretty up a snail mail letter. I'm flat out just writing a letter (to those without email) let alone spend (waste?) time on creating an "Artistic Trading Card" to swap with pen friends. I've googled and found some good sites about ATC and it is flourishing in the USofA and has started doing the rounds in Aus. I just wonder how wide spread it is becomming.
0 Replies