Cat pisses on couch

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 02:42 am
About three months ago we picked up two kittens from the pound. The male does not give any problems. From the first day on the female uses the litterbox for no. 2 and most of the time for no. 1 as well. However, about once a day she pies on the couch as well. She knows it is not allowed, and does it when we are home or not. We have put a plastic sheet on the couch but that only helps to contain the effects. It also happens when we sit on the couch and that she jumps up, scats and pisses on the couch and on us as well. It is only that place she uses.

The litterbox is cleaned almost every day. Since about 1 month they can go outside when they want and the littebox is less used now. We changed the sand. Nothing seems to help.

One additional point is that she also has very wet stool for which we have not found a reason for (no parasite infection).

What should we do?
Dirk
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,447 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 03:08 am
Welcome to A2K! May your stay here be long and glorious.

Hmm. . . if'n'it was me, I'd say shoot the cat. No cat is worth furniture being peed on.

One must ask, tho, is this a used couch? Perhaps you had a cat before the two you have now? She could smell the cat and try and claim ownership over the couch by peeing on it.

Well, in any event, here's what I would do. Go to Wal Mart, or a grocery store, and get a spray bottle. The empty kind like you find febreeze in. Oh, while you're at it, get some febreeze too. Treat the couch liberally and often with febreeze, and hopefully this will kill the smell. In the mean time, you must train the cat to know that the couch is a bad place. So take said emtpy spray bottle, and fill it with water. Put it on stream, and every time that cat gets near the couch spray it. Doesn't matter if she is going to jump up there and/or pee on it, just spray her when she gets near it. She'll soon get the picture to stay away from the couch. Hopefully, since this is the only place she pees, she won't start peeing elsewhere.

Good luck. . . .
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:37 am
Take the cat to the vet. Maybe she has a urinary problem. It could be an infection or worse. Please don't punish the cat in any way, not that I think you would.

Welcome to A2K
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 09:42 am
we have a spray that keeps cats away from furniture. Paws off! is the name. It is not harmful to the cats in any way and does not smell to humans - however the odor works to keep the kitty away from the couches. Worth a shot I'd say. I believe you can find it in any pet store and even in supermarkets among the cat food and toys and such.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 01:09 pm
an internet site i looked up when we took in our orphan kittens (at 2 weeks old) suggested that you should pour surgical spirit over the spot, once accidents had been cleaned up. Check for colour fastness.

It did seem to work - once the odour is there, they think it is a correct place to 'go'. Taking them to the litter tray after eating or waking from a long sleep and encouraging them to use it could avoid the situation? that's what we did as we had to be 'mum' to Rosie as she was orphaned. when they use it you make a big fuss about how clever they are! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

A water pistol squirted at her each time she thinks about it in future might help deter her?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 01:21 pm
In addition, the cat likely won't like the odor of the Fabreze, especially the allergy spray. I've been told that extract of Vanilla will also deter cats from furniture. I've found that any cheap spray cologne does the job.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 07:19 am
I'll second the fact that cats tend to go back to a place that smells like the place to go.

My guess is, since cats do their best to communicate with their owners, even if it is in subtle ways, they will try and let you know when something's wrong. Take her to the vet!

After that, you should consider a new couch... that doesn't smell like the place to go.

I agree that you shouldn't punish her. If nothing is wrong, though, health wise... try the water-squirt-bottle.
0 Replies

christie33549

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 08:03 pm
Cat piling the couch
Hi Dirk...I've experienced similar problems...with 2 of the female cats I've had over the years. If you can, get rid of the cushion it piles on....apparently there is a smell there (maybe from a guest to your home) that indicates that that IS the place to pile.
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 02:23 am
I had a similar problem once with my cat.

About 5 years ago a tenant moved into our house, and she had a cat.
Unfortunentally, our cat, who had been living in the house for several years didn't take this quite as had expected her to.

In hindsight, I am at a loss to understand why our family didn't anticipate any problems with having a strange cat move in to the house, but anyway, we didn't.

So, our cat decided to protest this enchrochment into her territory by urinating in any hole she could find. She used the air vents in the floors, until we covered them. Then, she decided to use our stovetop elements. Obviously, we were not pleased. It took us a week to figure out why it smelled every time we turned on the stove, and we only figured it out then because the cat decided to relieve herself on the stove right infront of my mom.

Since then, we have gotten a new stove, but we still have the same cat.

Oh ya, we saw the cat using the stove mere days before we had to cook thanksgiving dinner. Sad
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:29 pm
Remove cat from room with couch
and take to vet for check up.....I have a cat
confined and happy living in the studio..... no couch!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:56 pm
Your cat is most likely sick!
Montana wrote:
Take the cat to the vet. Maybe she has a urinary problem. It could be an infection or worse. Please don't punish the cat in any way, not that I think you would.

Welcome to A2K

I agree. Your kitten is most likely sick. This is typical behavior for a cat with a urinary tract infection. They will use the litter box for their number two job, but it hurts when they pee. A cat that has a urinary tract infection will look for a soft place to pee--and will keep going back to the same spot until the pain from the infection is gone.

Get her to the vet right away. A few dollars for a good antibiotic will most likely solve the problem and when you clean the couch fabric, the cat will forget all about peeing there.

It's important too--to bring your cat in for the follow-up check-up to make sure the infection is completely gone. She might appear to be cured simply because she is feeling better when the antibiotic starts to work, but this type of illness can linger on and flare up again if the infection isn't completely eradicated.

Good luck to you and your sweet kitty.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:06 am
Re: Cat pisses on couch
What should you do?

You should definitely talk to the vet about your kitten's diet and proper cat food brands. Some cats cannot tolerate soft cat food that you buy in the can. For some cats, they must be placed on a strict hard cat food diet and it can't be one of those cheap, but tasty brands.

My cats loved a certain brand, so I purchased it all the time. The result? Urinary tract infections and loose stools. I learned the hard way that I had to spend the extra big dollars to buy the food that was HEALTHY for them. They didn't like it--they objected--but when they were hungry, they ate it.

DirkVermeulen wrote:
One additional point is that she also has very wet stool for which we have not found a reason for (no parasite infection).

What should we do?
Dirk
0 Replies

BCSavage

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:55 pm
*Sigh* Ok, so I'm having a cat-peeing problem. She's prolly just over 2 yrs old. She's my "puppy" as I call her. We aren't even supposed to have a cat in our apartment building but we couldn't get rid of her when we moved in.... or so I thought. I'm at my wits end. I work nights and the wife works days. We have a 2yr-old son as well. So the attention is spread pretty thin around here. That said, I've been reading through peoples posts for an hour now and have come to this conclusion:

1 - My couch needs to be thrown out, it's the ONLY place she pees that isn't her LB.

2 - My hoodie has become a place for #2 and this CANNOT happen anymore! So I have to keep my clothes off the bedroom floor.

other than that, she's a sweet animal. Little bit on the snobby side but that's what makes her HER.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=32740

that's her, Gizmo. I really don't want to get rid of her but we are possibly moving to Thunderbay, On. and I think that that would traumatize her even MORE and cause MORE peeing/pooing issues. We've tried febreeze and this stuff called "OUT!" but to no avail. Anyway, any suggestions? She's going to the vet ASAP to rule out medical problems.
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:27 pm
My vet says that the smell of citrus repels cats. I've tried it here, but my husband hates the smell of the citrus spray, and now the cat's pissing on the couch again.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:16 am
I briefly had that same problem with my little female calico we rescued. She was so malnourished we waited for her full recuperation before getting her fixed, and then waited a few months too long. She began to urinate in wrong places and nothing was wrong with her. The vet advised a check up and sterilization ASAP.

Once she was fixed, the problem stopped.

Vet stated it's common among calico females. Is your female possibly a calico and as yet unspayed? If it's not a urinary infection, this could help.
0 Replies

Mr Bain

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:18 am
I had two cats that fouled the house their whole lives- one lived to 16, the other 17. My mother, of course, hated them for this, but since I always loved them so much, we never got rid of them. We got them when I was only 5 and my sister was 6 months.
0 Replies

dixiegirl3179

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:51 pm
Turner_727 wrote:
Welcome to A2K! May your stay here be long and glorious.

Hmm. . . if'n'it was me, I'd say shoot the cat. No cat is worth furniture being peed on.

One must ask, tho, is this a used couch? Perhaps you had a cat before the two you have now? She could smell the cat and try and claim ownership over the couch by peeing on it.

Well, in any event, here's what I would do. Go to Wal Mart, or a grocery store, and get a spray bottle. The empty kind like you find febreeze in. Oh, while you're at it, get some febreeze too. Treat the couch liberally and often with febreeze, and hopefully this will kill the smell. In the mean time, you must train the cat to know that the couch is a bad place. So take said emtpy spray bottle, and fill it with water. Put it on stream, and every time that cat gets near the couch spray it. Doesn't matter if she is going to jump up there and/or pee on it, just spray her when she gets near it. She'll soon get the picture to stay away from the couch. Hopefully, since this is the only place she pees, she won't start peeing elsewhere.

Good luck. . . .

While I dont agree with the theory of shooting the cat...the advice to keep the cat off the couch is good. I have read that most cats that pee inside the house in a location other than their litterbox, only have one specific spot that they do it in. So restricting their access to that spot will help break the habit. Someone else suggested the repellant spray which is a good idea also. You could also get mousetraps and set them, then turn them upside down all across the couch and cover it with a towel. When the cat jumps on the couch she sets off the moutraps and it makes a bunch of racket and scares the crap out of Miss Kitty. This is only for when you arent home though since I'm sure you want to sit on your couch Smile. Make sure you turn them upside down so they dont catch her feet or physically hurt her, the point is just to scare her.
0 Replies

dixiegirl3179

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:54 pm
Oh yea and in case no one else suggested it, Natures Miracle (available at Petsmart) or another enzyme based cleaner will get rid of the smell. Vinegar and water mixture works also but not as well as the enzyme cleaners. That's probably cheaper than replacing the couch Smile
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:21 am
A couple of suggestions:

1. Rub lemon soap on coach, dry. Apparently this works wonders to deter the cat from going on couch

2. If the smell is a problem, add pinch of baking soda to cat food to neutralise odour.
0 Replies