Long Island Iced Tea

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:37 am
The missus and I were having a mild debate last night: is a Long Island Iced Tea a girlie drink? If you were male and you were in the company of people who cared about such things, could you order one with a clear conscience? Just curious.

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:41 am
@Shapeless,
depends on the circumstances, i wouldn't drink one in a bar watching a sporting event, but on a patio in the summer, sure why not
Shapeless

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:46 am
@djjd62,
Sounds reasonable to me. I think the big dilemma is that it sounds like a girlie drink but it doesn't taste like one. If only they would give it a beefier name for football night at the pub!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:51 am
@Shapeless,
with these ingredients the LIIT is a coma inducing libation. I had my last one at the age of 19. It's not something you slug down at the sports bar...unless there's a free cab drive home.

Quote:
1 part vodka
1 part 1800® Tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola
George

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 10:26 am
@panzade,
I don't see the point of mixing vodka, tequila, rum, gin and triple sec.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 10:29 am
@George,
bar tender's point of view.

old skool rufies...
djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 10:42 am
@Rockhead,
Shapeless wrote:
If only they would give it a beefier name for football night at the pub!

Rockhead wrote:

bar tender's point of view.

old skool rufies...

The Date Rape Drink, bartender, a beer for me, and a DRD for the little lady
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 10:44 am
Hard to call such a strong drink 'girlie.' It's definitely not an overly macho drink to order, but they are so strong that you are basically ordering a cup of mixed liquors.

I vote no, not girlie.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 10:57 am
Ohmygosh, it definitely is NOT a girlie drink!
When I first came to the United States, sitting in a pub with friends, someone
ordered a Long Island iced tea for me. Silly me thought that there was no alcohol
whatsoever in it - I got smashed on 1 glass only! This stuff is brutal!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 11:54 am
I ask because I ordered one last night, the first one I've had in about about ten years, and it packed just as much of a punch now as it did ten years ago! Certainly not for the faint of heart. But that's what led to the discussion with the missus, who teased me mercilessly for getting hit so hard by something with such an unassuming name. I'm of half a mind to lobby for changing the name to something like the "Long Island Slammer."

EDIT: Then again, "Long Island Slammer" sounds like one of those sexual innuendos.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 11:55 am
Here is how I became aware of the existence of Long Island Iced Tea. I am a non-drinker. When I was about....20 maybe?.....my father and I were hiking around Scarsdale (my home town) and Yonkers. We stopped at an Italian restaurant on Central Avenue to get lunch. I ordered iced tea with my meal and the waitress said, "Iced tea the drink?" I stared at her blankly for a few seconds, trying to make this question compute, thinking, "What's the alternative??? Iced tea the cake???" Finally, I said, "Yeah." When she brought it and I took a sip, I instantly spit it onto the floor. I went to her and said, "my iced tea is full of alcohol" and she revealed to me that there is an alcoholic drink called Long Island Iced Tea.
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 11:58 am
@Brandon9000,
cute
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:08 pm
Is it amount of alcohol only, or does the mixture of different kinds have any
effect? In other words: if, instead of one part each vodka, gin, rum, and tequila,
you had four parts just vodka, would it hit you just as hard?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:10 pm
@George,
the mix adds punch.
George

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:19 pm
@Rockhead,
I can't see how.
Alcohol is alcohol, no?
Or am I missing something?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:23 pm
@George,
all alcohol is only so much alcohol.

start mixing them while you drink, and your stomach freaks out a bit.

and it does not taste like what it is... Wink

just like a tequila buzz is different from a fuzzy wine buzz.
(don't eat the worm)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm
@George,
It's for the taste. Really does sort of taste like iced tea.

Just like Flaming Dr. Peppers' really do taste like Dr. pepper.... on the way down, that is.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:35 pm

Who's their insurance company?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:44 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
1 part 1800® Tequila

What a waste of good tequila.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 12:50 pm
@panzade,
That guy is a ******* amateur. Good showmen line up the shots so the bartender can tap one glass and they all fall in at the same time. Also, line them up sideways so everyone can come get them at once. The key is to shoot it down as quick as possible as well - the liquor starts to separate from the beer really quick. This guy did it way too slow.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies