Asia, America, noodles!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

No, I understand it as german too.. my first taste of home made noodles (sic) was a homemade noodle soup made by my first gallery partner, whose mother was german.

We had refugees in our home (28, in five families), and all made different kind of noodles themselves. (I remember vividly when I saw for the first time that and how they were dried ... hanging over the kitchen oven.)
As a child, I wandered from one kitchen to the other (including grandma's and ours) to decide where to have lunch (dinner) ...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What a good visual memory, Walter.
Me, I use plastic hangers, hanging from knobs, to dry the pasta...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
German "nudels" aren't mentioned anywhere

And small wonder . . . the nasty, dry, tasteless things . . .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

And small wonder . . . the nasty, dry, tasteless things . . .

You obviously never tasted some.
Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh yeah i have . . . but i did succeed in getting a rise out of the Dutchmen in this thread . . .

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:30 pm
@Setanta,
I'll admit I didn't like that first homemade noodle soup. It probably showed on my face, and my gallery partner was so proud of making them. The noodles were too mushy to my taste, not unlike what happened to one of my recent soups all these years later. I should never have put that particular pasta in a soup. Well, so are canned soup noodles to me, in a different way. I like the italian way of treating fresh pasta, quick cook.. and don't know how they are treated in german cooking.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Looking back at my choices of pan fried noodle photos from the first few pages of google image pan friend noodles.. they look way overburdened with stuff to me, relative to what I am used to, but the other photos didn't show the noodles as really pan fried.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Saute the fresh noodles in peanut oil, add a bit of sesame oil, some soy sauce, a drop of rice vinegar, a blob of minced ginger and garlic and you're good to go. Add some sliced beef, shrimp or chicken, some green onions and bean sprouts if you want more substance.

I worked within a couple blocks of Chinatown district in Oakland for many years and was very very spoiled by lunches from the restaurants, delis and markets there.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:17 pm
You guys are really making me hungry for noodles. I read this whole thread.

Dose anybody like Pho? Vietnamese noodle soup with thin sliced flank steak (and other stuff)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph%E1%BB%9F#Origins_and_regional_differences

VIVA NOODLES!!!
Amigo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 06:22 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Greman Noodles??? That sounds good too
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:55 pm
@Amigo,
Of course, silly.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:14 pm
@ossobuco,
You've all convinced me that Brendalee and I will have to go to The Noodle Bowl for our pre-concert meal tomorrow night. I'll tell her some friends suggested it Mr. Green

I think I'll order Thai Tom Yum chicken soup, or mebbe the giant bowl of noodles and bbq pork in broth with a handful of fresh, chopped coriander.
0 Replies