Mexican White Cheese dip

Seed

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:13 pm
How do you make it? I don't want the bottle stuff. I thought I had found the right cheese to make it with, but I was wrong. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,805 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:27 pm
I've never had this in Mexico, but rather Tex-Mex type places and when it's good it's almost always made with authentic queso blanco and some half & half. You can add things like chilies, cilantro, cumin, a hot pepper or two, salt to taste. The trick is to melt the cheese, but not burn it. Use a double boiler. Add enough half & half to the cheese so it's creamy, but not lumpy and then add the other flavor ingredients according your tastes.

I was just reading on a site that someone makes a roux to mix with the cheese - I would think that would also work very well.
Seed

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:30 pm
@Green Witch,
sounds pretty easy. Anything else to it?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:32 pm
@Seed,
I just added a note about roux, you might not see it because it was an edit. What cheese did you try first?
Seed

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:36 pm
@Green Witch,
I couldn't tell you the name, but it is that round white cheese that I guess is more for qausadilla (spelling is horrible forgive me). It had Queso on the package. Now granted I figured I could just kind of melt it and hope it would work. I didn't do much reading into the subject, I am not sure about a roux, though fat and flour mixed for a base doesn't seem to hard
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:47 pm
Queso blanco is easy peasy to make. Here is a basic recipe that says it all:

Ingredients
1 Gallon Whole Milk
1/4 Cup White Vinegar*

Supplies
Cheese cloth

Instructions
Heat milk to 180 F (82 C) stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn the milk.

While mixing with a whisk, slowly add the white vinegar. You will notice the milk begins to curdle.

Keep stirring for 10-15 minutes.

Line a colander with a fine cheesecloth. Pour the curdled milk through the colander.

Allow the curds to cool for about 20 minutes.

Tie the four corners of the cheese cloth together and hang it to drain for about 5 - 7 hours (until it stops dripping).

The solidified cheese can be broken apart and salted to taste or kept unsalted.

* The juice of 3-5 lemons may also be used in substitute or addition to the vinegar. The resulting cheese will have a much more tangy flavor.
Seed

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:50 pm
@Green Witch,
pretty easy enough.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 10:59 pm
@Seed,
I should add that the milk can be pasteurized but not ultra-pasteurized. Ultra is technically dead and will not work. There is something very empowering about making cheese. I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 11:44 pm
6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium white onion, sliced thin
12 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 medium tomato, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
fresh tortillas, warmed

Heat oil over medium heat, saute onion slices until transparent, but not brown. Add chiles and tomato, cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Add milk, cook over low heat for add'l 3 minutes. Add cheese and salt; stir until cheese melts. Transfer to serving bowl and serve hot w/ fresh tortillas.
mismi

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 12:18 am
@DrewDad,
I had to tag this thread. Awesome recipes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:14 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
authentic queso blanco
this the the key.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:19 am
@Seed,
Also, if you're looking for recipes online you should search for "chile con queso" or "chili con queso".

Here's another (easier) queso recipe:

1 bunch green onions, sliced thin (just the white part of the onion; the green part tastes bitter).
1/4 white onion, chopped small.
2 jalapeno peppers, roasted or boiled, sliced thin
1 bunch cilantro, shredded.
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes (choose from mild, regular, or hot, depending on your taste)
2 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 bag corn chips.

Combine all ingredients (except corn chips), heat in microwave (choose a low setting) or crock pot. Stir every five minutes until cheese is thoroughly melted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 11:22 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese

if you're following this pattern make sure you're using American Muenster instead of a European one. European Muenster would NOT work for this sort of concoction. It is much too flavourful (and stinky).
DrewDad

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I've only made it with Monterey Jack.

That recipe is from a book; IMO, it has too many peppers and onions for the amount of cheese. I'd cut the peppers and onions in half.
0 Replies