bwnd4

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:15 pm
the other day my son was walking home said he saw this skunk walking slow and sometimes in a big circle its winter here he thought he saw it was hit by a car but it didn't he or she didn't seem too scared of us so i put my coaton it to move the skunk long story short we took him in hes in a cage he sleeps alot does'nt look like hes wanting to eat or drink he does have a patch of missing fur on its back and tiny critters are on him i think its mites or lice not sure when touching it like cleaning the cage and sure he shys away do you think its someones pet or is it sick or just sleepy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,269 • Replies: 4

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:17 pm
Take him to a vet. Odd behavior in skunks can indicate rabies. If he's sick a vet can treat him and they can test him for rabies.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:34 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
What are the signs of rabies in animals?

Rabid animals (those infected with rabies) may show noticeable behavioral changes such as acting strangely or biting someone.
An animal that exhibits any of the following signs may have rabies:

No fear of humans shown by a wild animal
Shyness in a usually friendly pet
Restlessness, excitability, aggression, or sudden mood changes
Excessive drooling
An animal that is normally active at night (such as bats, raccoons, and skunks) being active during the day
Eating substances not normally eaten
Paralysis, which is sometimes the only sign
Animals displaying strange behavior are often assumed to be rabid, but whether they actually have rabies or not depends on factors such as:

The type of animal. (Bats, skunks, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes are more likely to carry the virus than other animals.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:39 pm
@bwnd4,
Theres a form of "dumb rabies" where the an imal just sort of has a fifty mile stare and acts listless, often just bobbing its head. Its never a good idea to take any wild animals in. You know he has sarcoptic mange and this can spread to other animals in the house (furry ones) .
Youre a good person for caring but sometimes we have to back off and let nature cull the sick and dying on its own.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@bwnd4,
Littlek is right. Take it to a vet. Quickly.
0 Replies