So I want to upgrade my RAM in my computer....

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 08:03 am
What is the best source for RAM chips? I want to upgrade my RAM in my Dell XPS M1730 laptop. I presently have only 2GB's of RAM in my computer. I can go up to 8.

Where can I find the best (and most reliable) deal and source for RAM chips? I used to know of some relative big name chip resellers online but since I never bought from them I can't remember their sites addresses.

What should I be looking for regarding types of RAM? Which is the fastest? SRAM or DRAM or other? I used to know some of this but my own internal cerebral memory chips are failing in the recall department.

Also, when I change the RAM do I have to mess with the registry? Do I need to download any drivers? Please forgive my near computer anatomy based illiteracy....

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 08:16 am
@tsarstepan,
it's been along time since i did it, but i added ram to a desktop a few years ago, as i recall it was more or less plug and play, i followed some online instructions, there were bios settings i had to check but they were good (this was an HP running windows xp)

i got the ram from radio shack
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:07 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

What is the best source for RAM chips? I want to upgrade my RAM in my Dell XPS M1730 laptop. I presently have only 2GB's of RAM in my computer. I can go up to 8.

I used this site a few months ago. Everything worked out fine. http://www.memoryupgrade.pro/dell-memory-upgrades-dell-ram-expansions-xps-xps-m1730.html

It says that you're limited to 4GB though (unless you typed in the wrong computer model number).

Quote:

What should I be looking for regarding types of RAM? Which is the fastest? SRAM or DRAM or other? I used to know some of this but my own internal cerebral memory chips are failing in the recall department.

You're going to be limited to whatever your motherboard can support. Unless you're shopping for a new motherboard, it looks like you need the following: DDR2 667MHz

Quote:

Also, when I change the RAM do I have to mess with the registry? Do I need to download any drivers? Please forgive my near computer anatomy based illiteracy....

Nothing like that; power off, open the case, find the memory sticks, remove them, plug in your new one(s), close case, power on. Done.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:11 am
@maporsche,
I got my information from the Dell tech support technician.

I can use the maximum of 4GB's per slot. 4GB + 4GB = 8GB.

Also from a big name RAM chip seller:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=XPS%20M1730
Quote:
4GB 200-pin SODIMM

Module Size: 4GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400

We've calculated the maximum memory capacity that your computer can handle per slot and matched it with our guaranteed-compatible parts to give you our max it out recommendation. Depending on your currently installed memory, you may need less memory.
maporsche

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 09:26 am
@tsarstepan,
Did you read this part?

Quote:

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?
A: Possibly
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251.
0 Replies