Mederma: Is it safe to use on acne or acne-prone skin?

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 01:41 am
I have recently started to use Mederma (cream for scars) on my face- not because I have scars on my face, but because it says on the box that it can also be used as a moisturizer and sunscreen. I have acne, though, and I am wondering if using Mederma will worsen my skin.
The first 3 days of use, it seemed to make my skin much more moisturized, glowing, and even made my acne less severe (I had absolutely no breakouts during those days), but on the days after, my skin began to look greasy and I started breaking out again, not too much, but visibly.
Who has used this on acne or acne-prone and skin, and what has your result been?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 15,176 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

dadpad

Thu 18 Feb, 2010 05:04 am
Allium cepa, trademarked by Mederma as Cepalin (not to be confused with cephalin) is the active content of mederma derived from an onion called Allium cepa Linn[7], a readily available[8] and highly researched bioflavonoid with antihistamine and antiproliferative effects on both normal and malignant cells. This product is labeled as made in Germany, or originally developed in Germany.

Full Ingredients

Water (purified), PEG-4, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Allium Cepa (Onion) Bulb Extract, Xanthan Gum, Allantoin, Methylparaben, Sorbic Acid, Fragrance

Mederma is an onion-extract-based topical gel produced by Merz Pharmaceuticals[1] of Greensboro, North Carolina. Mederma's marketing claims it can make scars "softer, smoother, and less noticeable"[2].

Most peer reviewed research articles dispute this however.

One published peer reviewed research article indicated no statistically significant change in hypertrophic scar appearance from products of this type[3].

Though Mederma appears to do better than nothing at all[4], it does no better than cheap emollients which simply keep the skin moist.[5]

However, a 1996 study into the therapeutic values of onion and garlic found that they may act as an anti-inflammatory and bacteriostatic[6] and in 2002, researchers found that Mederma improved collagen organization after injury in rabbits.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mederma

testimonials
http://forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=204598
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Mederma-t103689.html
RadAndRandom

Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:22 pm
@dadpad,
Onions? It's made from onions? Wow ahaha I did not know that.
But thank you so much; that was very helpful.
Since dry skin is usually a cause of acne (because pores are clogged by dead skin cells), and Mederma keeps the skin moist, I guess it should be better for acne-prone skin. I just hope that it won't cause acne by making my skin too oily.
0 Replies

cnacram

Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:09 pm
@dadpad,
Looks interesting, I'm quite surprised with the onion ingredients.
0 Replies

sakshirathor12

Thu 6 Dec, 2018 05:20 am
@RadAndRandom,
yes, it is safe to use acne or acne prone skin.
0 Replies