Questions concerning the Droid...

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:09 pm
Hi All,

Still haven't made the jump to the Droid yet, but have been reading all your posts and comments concerning it. I have a few questions for you guys.

1) How do new text message notifications come thru in the droid? Do supercede anything else you're doing (i.e.: interrupt a phone call, another text message you're typing or reading, games, etc...)?

2) Do you have the ability to file old text messages away?

3) Can you supress an incomming call or does it alert you when you're already on the phone?

4) Do you have a virtual keyboard along with the one that slides out?

Thanks guys!

jstwondrng
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,041 • Replies: 11
No top replies

droid him

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:27 pm
@jstwondrng,
1) Notification at the top of the screen. Doesnt pop on the screen unless you get a program to do it. It will say droid when the message comes in

2) Programs do this
3) Yes
4) Yes and you can get different types of virtual keyboards not just factory. I personally like the factory over all else. Have to say iphone keyboard is a tad bit more accurate.
The Chief

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 05:13 pm
@droid him,
It doesn't HAVE to say "Droid" all the time, either. I selected a nice tone to alert me to a new text message, update or whatever comes into the notification panel. The text threads are all kept for you until you delete them. I LOVE MY DROID! Sorry, just had to say it. Hope this helps.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:40 pm
@The Chief,
Also remember it uses threaded text messages. When you go to your texts, it'll have the contacts and/or numbers you have been messaging w/. If you open up any of the contacts from there, it'll have all the texts you have exchanged. You can, of course, clear them if you choose.

Also, you can choose whatever text alert you want. You can use the stock or DL one through one of many apps. There's also the tried and true ways of the past, like phonezoo or zedge (which also has an app, now). Personally, nothing is more appropriate than hearing your phone's robotic voice belch "DROID!"
jstwondrng

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 12:04 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Thanks guys! I'm still drooling over it and hopefully once Verizon Wireless stops giving me the run around about upgrading early (I received a postcard from them in the mail), I will be getting it!

jstwondrng
saintlewi

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
@jstwondrng,
jstwondrng;1533 wrote:
Thanks guys! I'm still drooling over it and hopefully once Verizon Wireless stops giving me the run around about upgrading early (I received a postcard from them in the mail), I will be getting it!

jstwondrng

we had some of the same issues with my wife. i have the primary line (on our 2 line family plan) and was able to upgrade a while ago (but didnt have anything until Droid that made it worthwhile to be rid of my dare...and we are poor, lol). then we got an email and card saying my wife was able to upgrade to a smart phone early. took a little work, but the idea of commission if they just tried to upgrade my wife (even though it didnt say she could in their system), well, that finally appealed to them enough to make it happen. so i have my droid. lovin it!
jstwondrng

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 12:25 pm
@saintlewi,
Well, I finally found success with upgrading to the Droid. As much as I luv the new phone, there is a bit of a learning curve in regards to using it. Initial impression of the phone is that it is MUCH better in regards to usage, features and even bluetooth connectivity than any other phone I've used to date (yes, including the Dare! lol).

Jstwondrng
The Chief

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:02 pm
@jstwondrng,
YAYYY you got a Droid! Very Happy

Welcome to the fold, put the Dare on eBay (or donate it to a women's shelter, they can always use emergency phones) and get down to personalizing your Droid. Yes, it DOES have a steep learning curve - and a lousy manual - but we're here to help and the forum is a great place to ask questions and get answers.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:07 pm
@jstwondrng,
jstwondrng;1620 wrote:
Well, I finally found success with upgrading to the Droid. As much as I luv the new phone, there is a bit of a learning curve in regards to using it. Initial impression of the phone is that it is MUCH better in regards to usage, features and even bluetooth connectivity than any other phone I've used to date (yes, including the Dare! lol).

Jstwondrng

So you officially made the jump? Congrats! I've found that most of the problems I've encountered have been operator error and the steep learning curve of never having had a smartphone before. This site will def help that in that transition. Enjoy, and let us know what you think.
jstwondrng

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:09 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Hey Chief and YankeeDudeL! Yes, I am excited about my new Droid. I am going to take a LONG look around the site to see what to do with my new toy. Oh and donating my old Dare would have been a great idea, except that it practically died on me... Oh well, time to customize my Droid!

jstwondrng
saintlewi

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 04:59 pm
@jstwondrng,
jstwondrng;1631 wrote:
Hey Chief and YankeeDudeL! Yes, I am excited about my new Droid. I am going to take a LONG look around the site to see what to do with my new toy. Oh and donating my old Dare would have been a great idea, except that it practically died on me... Oh well, time to customize my Droid!

jstwondrng

congrats! and good luck with the customization...hope you have a spare week!
0 Replies

jstwondrng

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 11:53 pm
@jstwondrng,
OMG, saintlewi you are right! I should be getting ready for bed and I'm fooling around with trying to load music on my Droid... I'm soooo hooked!
0 Replies