What problems have you had?

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 03:54 pm
Hey all:

Coming over from the Dare forum, in the process of convincing my wife that yes, we DO have enough money for this phone...hehe.

I was so happy with my Dare and up until Droid came out (or I heard about it) I had yet to find anything that made me want to switch from it (barring the Iphone coming over to the V, but I wasnt switching to ATT for it).

Now that it has been out and REAL people have been using it for a little while, I am curious as to what YOU all have to say about it. I've heard the good stuff (my gosh, I love this forum!), but I am curious as to what REAL people are saying. Looking for opinions, I guess. I know some people like the physical keyboard, some dont, some like the camera, some dont. Any issues with hardware/software, restarting by itself, etc?

Professional reviews are one thing, but real people mean more. I just want to know what I am getting into when I (inevitably) buy it! Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,132 • Replies: 17
No top replies

The Chief

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 04:32 pm
@saintlewi,
Just get ready for a steep learning curve as the manual is useless. The forums are the best sources of information. I have NO REGRETS about jumping on the Droid on opening day. It has not crashed or given me any headaches. The only thing I've had to do is study the forums and "personalize" my belt holster to accommodate my headphones Smile
0 Replies

Mrlibra19

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 05:58 pm
@saintlewi,
Hey saintlewi, I also jumped on the droid on opening day and put my Dare to rest. I'm very happy with the droid and then some, I haven't had any problems with it but I did have to do my homework to figure out certain things. The camera is ok with me I just miss the self timer the and having the ability to record videos at night like I could on the dare. As far as the apps go I didn't just go app crazy and start downloading everything I made sure to read reviews and made sure the app woould work with android 2.0. And for the keyboard I'm using it as I write this so its not that bad once you get a feel for it. Believe me droid does!
saintlewi

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:09 pm
@Mrlibra19,
the general consensus i have heard (read) is people love it. good to know about the learning curve (my wife has the same anxiety about the b-berry she is going to upgrade to...she doesnt like touch screens).

i know somebody here was having some issues with...something or other. i wonder if it was just that one unit, though. anybody else have any issues at all?
YankeeDudeL

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 02:56 pm
@saintlewi,
saintlewi;870 wrote:
the general consensus i have heard (read) is people love it. good to know about the learning curve (my wife has the same anxiety about the b-berry she is going to upgrade to...she doesnt like touch screens).

i know somebody here was having some issues with...something or other. i wonder if it was just that one unit, though. anybody else have any issues at all?

Yeah, that was me. I really don't know what it was that prompted my phone to go screwy, but the ship has righted itself. I don't know exactly what caused the issue, but I have found when it comes to minor issues, there's tips and tricks that can fix most of them. And there is a thread on here for that.

The camera could be better considering, but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. I feel the same about the keyboard.

Oh, one last thing, I'm another former Dare user who made the switch on the first day. The Droid is everything I wanted the Dare to be and then more. A lot more.
saintlewi

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 03:37 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;874 wrote:
Yeah, that was me. I really don't know what it was that prompted my phone to go screwy, but the ship has righted itself. I don't know exactly what caused the issue, but I have found when it comes to minor issues, there's tips and tricks that can fix most of them. And there is a thread on here for that.

The camera could be better considering, but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. I feel the same about the keyboard.

Oh, one last thing, I'm another former Dare user who made the switch on the first day. The Droid is everything I wanted the Dare to be and then more. A lot more.

glad to hear about the comparisons with dare. and even happier to hear its working better for you. imagine that: a phone that actually does what it proclaims to do...including fixing itself should something go wrong!

now if only microsoft would realize a PHONE is kicking it's a$$ in user interface/satisfaction.
teddyearp

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:02 pm
@saintlewi,
Yes, as The Chief posted, the manual is pretty much useless, but it (was) is better than nothing at all. And depending on which forum(s) sites you read can give one a very skewed opinion of this bad-to-the-bone-phone.

I haven't had any troubles at all, except for the auto-focus on the camera doesn't give me the four green corners, but the pics still come out as good as can be for a camera on a phone. And like MrLibra, I have done my research on which apps I go ahead and install, and have only installed maybe ten or so myself.

If any of you guys have read the 'zoo' over at Howardforums about this phone, then that would be a good place to get some anti-advertising for this phone. Take it slow, do your research about the apps, and you should really love this phone.

My only problems are that it's my first touch screen phone, and damn is it sensitive! But that's a good thing. The only other so far is that the volume rocker is right where my fingers go over the phone whil I put it back into my VZw face-in belt holster/clip thereby adjusting the volume somewhere I didn't want it to be. Easy fix. Hit the power button real quick and lock it. No problem.

Like The Chief said, it does have a steep learning curve, but hey, that's what makes this phone, IMHO!

p.s. As for all the reports of random re-starts, locking up, and whatever else, IMHO those ppl have NOT done enough research about the apps compatability with the droid before just going pell-mell and installing everything in sight to their phone.
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:50 pm
@saintlewi,
Learning Curve, Phone Is great and Love it.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 03:00 am
@saintlewi,
From what I understand, random restarts is the most comm problem and is a known issue that should be addressed with the upgrade.
0 Replies

darebrokenheart

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 07:10 am
@saintlewi,
When is the upgrade/update coming?
0 Replies

iamthewinnar

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 08:24 am
@saintlewi,
It's supposed to be December 11th
saintlewi

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@iamthewinnar,
iamthewinnar;918 wrote:
It's supposed to be December 11th

where did you hear that? maybe its good i dont have the $$ for it just yet, lol!

man, i want this phone.
iamthewinnar

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:18 pm
@saintlewi,
http://phandroid.com/2009/11/09/motorola-droid-and-htc-droid-eris-ota-updates-coming-december-11th/

here is an article that has the notes from Verizon
saintlewi

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:46 pm
@iamthewinnar,
iamthewinnar;928 wrote:

very nice, thanks...looks like they are taking care of a lot of known issues. with another possible update in jan/10. i dont know of ANY provider giving that much attention to a phone that quick. what a change.
The Chief

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:58 pm
@saintlewi,
I don't see a fix for the music player anywhere. I hope it's scheduled for a later update. I have track numbers in front of the songs and they STILL play in alphabetical order! :mad:

LG fixed this on the Dare with the v05 firmware update. Hopefully Motorola will fix this on the Droid as well.
0 Replies

cp22gear

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:34 am
@saintlewi,
Despite the boston logo I'll respond to your post!

I got the Droid opening day and so far have loved it. I wish it had more high quality apps like car races, fighter jets and such. The camera could indeed be better. In daylight or high quality lighthing it is impeccable, but even with the flash I find it to be low quality in plenty of social settings with low light, although what was I expecting- it IS a camera on a phone.

Some of the apps force close wayy too often (like i music), although I think that is an app problem, and not a phone problem per se.

It did wipe all my icons away unexpectedly once. I subsequently re-situated each of them on my home screens, then inexplicably, all the originals came back. So i had icons on top of icons and I have NO idea how that happened! It cause some grief and patience for about 20 minutes.

One thing I wish the phone did- if typing on the touch keyboard and then shifting orientation from vertical to horizontal (or vice versa) the keyboard doesnt stay on the screen, you have to re-tap the box. Though minor, it is a bit of a nuiscance.

I also wish there was an option to turn off the auto screen lock after 1 minute, or 30 seconds,or whatever you pick in certain instances. When listening to music, for instance I wish it would just stay lit indefinitley so that I can change songs whenever I want without having to change back and forth in Settings.

Overall 9.3 out of 10!
0 Replies

iamthewinnar

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:04 pm
@saintlewi,
There is a very useful app called toggle settings which has an option to disable the screen timeout
0 Replies

cp22gear

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:16 am
@saintlewi,
I just found an app called Locale...it enables the user to pick certain GPS loacations that, when the phone is in range, will switch to a particular setting. So when I am at work, the phone goes to vibrate, when I am at the gym, it goes to loud with no screen time out. The are more options, like having it do certain things at specific times or dates. pretty cool, although you have to make sure it is running in the background, and that could be a battery drain.

another awesome app- Handcent messaging...you can have your text message customized (i DO like the iPhone texting layout, so i chouse that one but you can pick colors and fonts and such (...just one more way to make iPhone users not think they're that special anymore!). Also, it sends you a notification of the text and you can chose to reply or stay using the app or screen you are currently on. pretty sweet...and its FREE!
0 Replies