LOL...couldnt talk and surf the web same time

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 05:45 pm
So i have been arguing with my att wife about surfing the web and talking on the phone and sayin that no one would ever need that any way. Guess who was traveling to NC from GA talking on the phone and took a wrong turn...thats right this guy. So i think no sweat casue the phone will re route...WRONG! I ended up driving 10 mins in the wrong direction waiting on the app to re route, but got data signal lost message. Hung up the phone from my wife and came right back. Couldnt do anything but laugh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,276 • Replies: 6
No top replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@droid him,
Guess you shoulda been on the phone w/ Luke Wilson, lol.
0 Replies

Guit4rG0d

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:44 pm
@droid him,
The Google Nav (beta) is VERY good about re-routing from wrong turns, or if you simply want another way
0 Replies

saintlewi

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:31 am
@droid him,
isnt there and app or some rooting or something that lets you talk and surf at the same time...thought that was mentioned on here somewhere...
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 12:28 pm
@droid him,
I havent heard of that before i think its a technical limitation with VZ not with the device itself. Google beta which is what i have will only reroute with a data connection try it out for yourself.
iamthewinnar

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:25 pm
@droid him,
him;2419 wrote:
I havent heard of that before i think its a technical limitation with VZ not with the device itself. Google beta which is what i have will only reroute with a data connection try it out for yourself.

I believe it is a limitation of the CDMA network. However, if you have access to wireless you can talk and surf at the same time.
0 Replies

hazydave

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2010 12:27 pm
@droid him,
Did you take a wrong turn because you were distracted by talking on the phone, or because Google Nav lost its data connection? In the former case, well, no help. But otherwise... if that's a problem (I have used it, but not much, having a dedicated in-car GPS with 5" screen, integrated into my car audio system) it's a general problem. It should be caching the whole route, and perhaps a zone around the route, to ensure that you don't get lost, even if there's no connection.

As for data and voice... yeah, Verizon uses the CDMA version of 3G, called EvDO. They change the name at some point, but this used to stand for "Evolution - Data Only". It's pure IP. So you might talk via a VoIP application if you had one, but there's no voice layer in 3G mode.

There are trade-offs. The big advantage of EvDO is that EvDO Rev A (which DROID and pretty much every cell in the network supports) does 3.1Mb/s downlinks (peak) over the same 2.5MHz channel (1.25MHz down, 1.25MHz up) as your voice link. So it was much the same radio gear and exactly the same spectrum as EDGE. So every cell does 3G.

In the GSM world, they're using HSPA or HSPA+ these days, which does have a 3G voice mode. They added that mainly to get around some nasty standard voice issues. In all CDMA and GSM 3G, there's a "soft handoff" between cells.. . you phone can remain attached to three cells at once, with the cells deciding where the call actually routes. So you never drop a working cell until a stronger one is available. On GSM voice, they do "hard handoff"... they drop one cell, then very quickly pick up the next. It leads to more dropped calls, but fixed in 3G.

The downside is hardware and spectrum. A basic HSPA connection gives you 3.6Mb/s down (peak), but requires 10MHz of bandwidth, 5MHz up, 5MHz down. So they needed not only all-new cell-tower gear, but new spectrum. HSPA+ peaks at 7.2Mb/s down, but works with two coupled cells on the came tower, for 20MHz bandwidth needed. This is why, by area, AT&T only has 3G in about 20% of their coverage area (it's much better by population, of course... you can get HSPA in most large cities, and by the summer, HSPA+ in about 40 cities in the USA).

HSPA+ can also do 2Mb/s uploads. But the iPhone only supports the original EDGE upload speed of 384kb/s... even the 3GS, which does HSPA+ downloads.
0 Replies