Droid's "Unlimited" Data plan

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:58 am
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181590/verizon_droid_tethering_will_cost_you.html

Apparently 5GB is unlimited these days...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,501 • Replies: 9
No top replies

The Chief

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@iamthewinnar,
Thankfully I got the Droid connected to my home Wi-fi so hopefully I won't max out the data plan...
cmacv

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:37 pm
@The Chief,
if im already a verizon user am i still forced to get the 30 month data plan for 5 gigz? or if i do a phone upgrade does the unlimited data plan i have now still work for the droid?
0 Replies

cmacv

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:42 pm
@iamthewinnar,
also about how much is 5 gigs?
cp22gear

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 07:01 pm
@iamthewinnar,
so i just got the moto droid about 2 hours ago and because of this thread i specifically asked that question. basically the manager told me that 5gb limit had nothing to do with actual data usage (web, email, etc)/ but referred to some content that was taken off the phone onto removable storage. i confirmed that my previous unlimited data plan from my bberry that carried over to my droid would be for as much internet and email as i could manage and she said absolutely. hope that helps, thanks for the article.
teddyearp

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:30 pm
@cp22gear,
It would be almost impossible to hit 5gigs/mo of bandwidth on your phone. Now if you were using pdanet and streaming vids/music, then I would worry . . .

good luck
0 Replies

hazydave

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:13 am
@cmacv,
cmacv;382 wrote:
also about how much is 5 gigs?

About 5-1/2 hours of "HD" video from YouTube. Or any video from Netflix.

Over 80 hours of high quality streaming audio.

Video is the big one. Unless you're doing PC-level downloads of other stuff, you're probably ok.

They really need to stop calling this "unlimited"... when you admit there's a limit, you just sound stupid also saying "no limit".
0 Replies

Droid Motorola

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 03:19 am
@iamthewinnar,
I use to be an employee and my belief is that they put the 5 gigs in there for disclaimers just in case they want to boot you off their network one day when they need extra bandwidth.

Ive been playing with my droid nonstop and only have 62 mbs of use. You can download the verizon app to check the usage.

"unlimited sounds so much better than 5 gig limit" is there a map for that? haha
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 08:06 pm
@iamthewinnar,
Once again, DroidMotorola.com to the rescue. Thanks, everyone.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 04:22 pm
@iamthewinnar,
5 gigs is a lot even for a desktop if you arent running torrents. The hightes i have ever gotten with my iphone was about 400 mb but i was downloading movies. You will never see 5 Gigs.
0 Replies