Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 10:11 pm
Like the rest of you, I'm sure, I synced my contacts w/ Facebook. Now, some of my contacts I have under diff names. I also have double contacts as I may have just a number and a first name from my original list, but the Facebook will have that info plus their email, but in most cases, not their phone number.

Is there a way to merge the contacts? Thus far I've had no luck. I know I can just do it the old fashioned way and edit each one and just add the number to the Facebook contact, but yanno.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,119 • Replies: 8
No top replies

iamthewinnar

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 06:39 am
@YankeeDudeL,
If it ended up syncing those contacts into your gmail account you can merge them inside of your gmail contacts. (Check two or more contacts and a merge link will appear)
meandorene

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 08:55 am
@iamthewinnar,
I'm having the opposite problem....

When my gmail contacts had synced with the phone, it managed to import contacts with similar names, like Pete Smith and Peter Smith - two totally different people, into the ONE contact. When I hit that contact on the phone, the two different phone numbers appear.

And another with similar names, Nick Jones and Nicholas Jones - this time it imported the gmail info AND facebook info into ONE contact. When I bring up that contact on my phone.. all info appears... all the email, phone, facebook info for BOTH.

I tried to alter the info in my gmail. Changed name, but all info still there as one. I tried deleting them and re-adding them, but still comes up as the same. Does anyone have any ideas that I could try?
iamthewinnar

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 10:02 am
@meandorene,
Go to the contact on your phone and choose to edit the contact. (menu button then edit)

When editing:
Hit the menu button on the phone and you will see a separate option. Should be all you need.
meandorene

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
@iamthewinnar,
Thanks for the assistance...BUT... alas....That doesn't work. :eek:
I've tried using the edit. I can remove the phone numbers, addresses, etc... however... It tells me that "Facebook contact information is not editable on this device". So, I can't delete the Facebook contact... both show up.. and I can't delete either one.

Can anyone come up with something else?:confused:
iamthewinnar

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:19 am
@meandorene,
meandorene;862 wrote:
Thanks for the assistance...BUT... alas....That doesn't work. :eek:
I've tried using the edit. I can remove the phone numbers, addresses, etc... however... It tells me that "Facebook contact information is not editable on this device". So, I can't delete the Facebook contact... both show up.. and I can't delete either one.

Can anyone come up with something else?:confused:

Are you doing a full sync or only syncing with existing contacts for facebook?
meandorene

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:28 am
@iamthewinnar,
Wow thanks for a quick reply!!!

Well, I have no idea what kind of "sync"... I'm so electronically deficient.

However, it happened with two people that are only in gmail, not on facebook (Pete/Peter Smith).. AND with two that are in both my gmail and facebook (Nick/Nicholas Jones)..

With that information, can you help?
iamthewinnar

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 12:03 pm
@meandorene,
meandorene;865 wrote:

However, it happened with two people that are only in gmail, not on facebook (Pete/Peter Smith).. AND with two that are in both my gmail and facebook (Nick/Nicholas Jones)..

I would suggest maybe altering the name of the contact in gmail - Maybe do Pete S instead of Pete Smith, and maybe Nick J instead of Nick Jones. I say this do to the fact that my cousin has his facebook last name as just the initial - H but I have his name in my gmail as his full last name, and it does not sync the facebook account.

Honestly this just sounds like a bug that maybe there will be a fix for (I thought it was odd that the droid uses the name to match the contacts and and not the phone number listed in facebook.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 02:01 pm
@meandorene,
meandorene;865 wrote:

Looks like I have the same problem. I have a Pat and a Patrick that got merged.
0 Replies