• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,765 • Replies: 22
No top replies

The Chief

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:41 pm
@BucYouUp68,
I understand it's a watered-down version of 2.1, lacking live wallpapers and other nice features. If it doesn't do what I want, then I am ready to root and go bugless beast.
The Chief

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:45 pm
@The Chief,
Anyway, it's close:

ARTICLE HERE
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:46 pm
@BucYouUp68,
I am thinking the same, just don't have much time to tinker with the phone. Dont care too much about the Live Wallpapers. I smell battery Drain all over it, and also how much time do spend looking at your screen....LOL
YankeeDudeL

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:42 pm
@BucYouUp68,
What I want most is the 3D app drawer, which is said to not make it. I will be quite POed if that is the case. I may also join the ranks of the rooters.
The Chief

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:49 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Problem is, I think 2.1 blocks root, so the whole reverse-engineering and hacking process will start over again. I have the root update.zip on my PC but haven't applied it yet. I feel like I'm up against the wall for time, and I hate having to make such a command decision (2.1 or bugless beast) in a such a short amount of time.
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:04 pm
@BucYouUp68,
They will figure out the 2.1 in no time, and the Roto Rooters will be at it again. Make sure you get the Sholes Updater, so after you root, if you have to you can go back stock in a instant. Do it soon, you can get it for free here,

http://www.sholes.info/
The Chief

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
@BucYouUp68,
Got it, Buc, I haven't rooted but it's now stored on my hard drive JUST IN CASE Wink thanks
0 Replies

jstwondrng

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:20 am
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;2340 wrote:
What I want most is the 3D app drawer, which is said to not make it. I will be quite POed if that is the case. I may also join the ranks of the rooters.

Actually, this release kinda makes sense from what was reported from android.com about a month ago:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.1.html

They even confirmed at the time that 2.1 was only going to be a minor platform release.

I guess we should have known this wasn't going to contain all the bells and whistles the Nexus One had in their version. I can live without the live wallpapers (although, it would've been cool to see) but I do feel a bit slighted not getting the 3D app drawer. Now, it will be interesting to see if we get the new 3D gallery with pinch/zoom. I haven't heard anything about this yet. If not, I'm satisfied using the one I DL'd. I've heard others in several forums say it is because our device isn't as powerful as the Nexus One. The fact the emulated version ran without much trouble makes me wonder if the N1 version of the software was made to distinguish it from the Motorola Droid.

My two cents Smile

jstwondrng

jstwondrng
The Chief

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:34 am
@jstwondrng,
It will be interesting to see what the hackers and ROM developers will do once they get their hands on it, as far as additional features go. I guess I'll hold off rooting and see what the fuss is all about... for now Smile
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:57 am
@BucYouUp68,
They will have to crack the SuperUser Permissions again, We will not be able to root until this happens. If you get the 2.1 OTA update, you will be unable to root until they crack it again. This could take sometime.
The Chief

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 12:00 pm
@BucYouUp68,
That's okay, I'm a patient guy. Besides, I've had all this time to root and didn't, so a few more weeks won't hurt me at all, waiting for the brains to hack and slice away at the code for us...
YankeeDudeL

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:08 pm
@The Chief,
From what I understand the update will include the new gallery and multi-touch browser. But I want the 3D app drawer!

Also I hear that 2.1 will be rooted in no time. I wanna see what 2.1 brings for sure, but the more I think about it, the more I start thinking it's the way to go.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@BucYouUp68,
BucYouUp68;2343 wrote:
They will figure out the 2.1 in no time, and the Roto Rooters will be at it again. Make sure you get the Sholes Updater, so after you root, if you have to you can go back stock in a instant. Do it soon, you can get it for free here,

http://www.sholes.info/

There's quite a few links to downloadable shole stuff there. What is it we want? And this is in case you have to bring it to the Verizon store right? Cause if you brought in a rooted phone they'll put you in cellular prison or something?
The Chief

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:17 am
@YankeeDudeL,
According to Motorola, the only things that break warranty are physical damage and water damage. As far as rooting goes, I think that's a Verizon issue. I am fairly certain, though, that if we totally brick our phone we can take it to a DEALER - not a VZW store - and say "it broke." They should replace it without problem (since they won't have the technical wherewithall to test the device). At worst, we may have to pay the $50 deductible and reload new phones.

I think I can live with that.
cmacv

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:31 am
@The Chief,
what do you mean by a dealer?
The Chief

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:45 am
@cmacv,
It's a store that sells Verizon products and services, not an actual Verizon store. They may sell other services as well. For example, my nearest Verizon store is 15 miles away... but American Cellular, which sells Verizon, is 4 miles away. They have phones and the system to activate them and check your account and all, but they lack the bench testing that a full-blown Verizon store would have.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:25 am
@The Chief,
The_Chief;2357 wrote:
According to Motorola, the only things that break warranty are physical damage and water damage. As far as rooting goes, I think that's a Verizon issue. I am fairly certain, though, that if we totally brick our phone we can take it to a DEALER - not a VZW store - and say "it broke." They should replace it without problem (since they won't have the technical wherewithall to test the device). At worst, we may have to pay the $50 deductible and reload new phones.

I think I can live with that.

Yes, I think I could deal w/ that.
The Chief

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:43 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
0 Replies

linmk2

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 09:15 pm
@BucYouUp68,
I'm glad to have voice recognition. Everything else is OK too. I'm sorry we are not getting the five home screens, live wall papers, and 3D app drawer. But, all in all I will be happy with the upgrade. Maybe we will get the other items sometime later.
0 Replies