Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:54 am
There seems to be lots of discussions on Battery life, so i did a test myself. I was getting about the same battery life as everybody else, about 6-7 hours with moderate usage. Which is what all the beta testers were getting pre release. I thought i would give something a try. First of all, when I picked up the phone it was about 75% charged. I charged it to 100%, and let it go down to about 30% that first day and then charged it. I followed this everyday for the first week, and was still getting the same battery life out of it. I never allowed the device to completly drain and shut off. Well i gave that a shot, and what did i find, My battery is lasting much longer, like doubled. So give this a try. I let the phone die, completely die so it shuts off. Then charge it 100% overnight. Worked for me, dont know if it will work for you, but give it a shot.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,393 • Replies: 13
No top replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:20 pm
@BucYouUp68,
Must Work, Today with Moderate Usage I am at 60% Battery 15 hours 20 minutes and counting.
The Chief

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:28 pm
@BucYouUp68,
Currently below 10%, trying to kill it but watching it die feels like I'm putting down an old pet Sad I'll trust you on this one Buck and we'll see how battery life goes tomorrow...
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 08:18 am
@BucYouUp68,
UPDATE, Woke up this morning and still have 20% battery left. Who said that battery's dont have Memory.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:15 pm
@BucYouUp68,
Battery life was really my only initial gripe about the phone, but was hoping that it would improve as my usage became less intensive. I drained it all the way and charged it all the way 3 times in a row, and I couldn't be far from a charger.

Now, though, it's really starting to perform. I find myself trying to kill my battery for the day knowing I'm def docking it at night, but that's been a lil harder than expected. If I don't go to the gym and get at least an hour and a half of music playing, then it won't be below 50% at night.
The Chief

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
Well Buc, you've made a believer out of me. 3 PM and after hours of moderate to heavy use I'm still at 80% charge. Thanks for a great tip! Very Happy
0 Replies

saintlewi

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:53 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;1100 wrote:
Battery life was really my only initial gripe about the phone, but was hoping that it would improve as my usage became less intensive. I drained it all the way and charged it all the way 3 times in a row, and I couldn't be far from a charger.

Now, though, it's really starting to perform. I find myself trying to kill my battery for the day knowing I'm def docking it at night, but that's been a lil harder than expected. If I don't go to the gym and get at least an hour and a half of music playing, then it won't be below 50% at night.

so what does this mean? the droid makes you go to the gym and get healthy. IS THERE ANYTHING THIS PHONE CANT DO?!

for my fyi: does it give you an indicator of a % of battery life? like on a laptop, telling you how much is left, or is it just the 4 or 5 bar battery symbol? just wondering.
BucYouUp68

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 03:54 pm
@BucYouUp68,
This Phone keeps on giving, and is purely a work of art. By far the best thing Verizon has released to date.
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 06:01 pm
@saintlewi,
saintlewi;1106 wrote:
so what does this mean? the droid makes you go to the gym and get healthy. IS THERE ANYTHING THIS PHONE CANT DO?!

for my fyi: does it give you an indicator of a % of battery life? like on a laptop, telling you how much is left, or is it just the 4 or 5 bar battery symbol? just wondering.

OpenVoice Dial and say "open battery info". A screen will come up with all kinds of battery info, including percent of charge.
The Chief

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:11 pm
@The Chief,
Apparently, there is a Motorola expert in another forum who disagrees with this experiment:

"With all due respect, I'm sorry to tell you that this advice apparently works because you are setting an internal timer. You may get an immediate effect but at a cost in the longevity of the battery and you will see a greater degradation later for your experiment. The physics and chemistry of a Lithium ion battery do not support this theory. In fact, doing what you suggest will shorten the batteries useful life of charge cycles. Older Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries did behave as you describe since this would keep them from developing "charge memory", actually chemical corrosion on a part of the electrode but it is totally false for Lithium Ion."

How much of a battery "expert" he is remains unclear, and it's important to note that I do NOT advocate continually discharging the battery to gain performance. This was a one-shot deal and it seems to do the trick. Proceed with the above caution in mind.

BTW it is after 9 PM and I still have 80% charge.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 09:56 pm
@BucYouUp68,
I just drove from Warner robins GA to federicksburg VA 10 hrs. Streamed 4 he's of Pandora wife iPhone dead at this time from web surfing so we stopped to buy charger. Then we listened to beyondpod which updates every few hours. Then wife used the phone to websurf because iPhone lost 3g signal. Imagine that. Finished the drive and now I'm web surfing with a yellow battery. I am happy with the phone and service. There's no apparently for crappy battery and crap network.
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:50 pm
@BucYouUp68,
If he is correct great, i will be happy with my extended battery life for now. and when it degrades, i will replace the battery......Simple
The Chief

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 06:58 pm
@BucYouUp68,
PC World did an article on the Droid Battery.

ARTICLE HERE

Hope this helps. I - for another - am happy I killed the phone once because of the new charge factor and extended battery life.
The Chief

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2009 07:14 pm
@The Chief,
Yet another article on caring for Lithium-Ion Batteries:

Another Article Here

I think we're probably the most Droid-battery-smart people online now Very Happy
0 Replies