Android 2.1 ported to Droid

cmacv

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 01:52 am
You had to know this was coming. That Android 2.1 OS that's been circulating inside the Google's ultra-exclusive Nexus One has hit the internet, and thanks to some clever hackery, you can now theoretically put the update on your Droid handset. We say theoretically, of course, because it's not quite a perfect rip. DIY instructions were briefly posted on Sholes.info but have since been replaced with a curt advisory to wait for a ROM that properly preserves file system permissions, else risking some serious breaking. The original image file is still available, but don't say we didn't warn you. Separately and perhaps unrelated, a video has surfaced of the Nexus One's boot animation running on Droid -- feel free to enjoy that instead, after the break.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-RcaUm7tv8&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,100 • Replies: 20
No top replies

The Chief

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 06:25 am
@cmacv,
methinks I'll wait patiently for this one instead of forcing it Smile
Guit4rG0d

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 04:57 pm
@The Chief,
The_Chief;1494 wrote:

Im with you on that one
0 Replies

teddyearp

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 08:50 pm
@The Chief,
The_Chief;1494 wrote:

Yes, I reckon that would be the best thing for you to do, Chief.Very Happy
The Chief

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 09:12 pm
@teddyearp,
Well, Teddy, I guess you've rooted your Droid and will install 2.1 right away? Do we know if it's even a finished product?
teddyearp

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 10:03 am
@The Chief,
Yeah, I've rooted my Droid and stuff, and am a 'modder', but I'm not the first one out of the gate. I will, however read my butt off until I find enough people having success with a certain mod and then do it that way. And as of last night, there were a few success stories with 2.1, but most were still having hiccups, so I too am waiting. I do have everything in place to install the custom recovery image though, which is half the work and will probably do that tonite.

Sorry if I seemed antagonistic in my previous post.

The thing is, as I mentioned at another site, is when will we get full on BT dialing? Will it be this next update and/or from Google? Or will it have to be from a custom built kernel/ROM? If it's the latter, I want to be in line and up to speed on how to do it.

p.s. I do have the hybrid stock and 2.1 boot animation on my phone . . .
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 09:05 pm
@cmacv,
Has anyone here installed this themselves looking for a bit of help.
0 Replies

jstwondrng

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 11:59 pm
@cmacv,
Does anyone know when/if Android 2.1 will come to the droid?
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:25 am
@cmacv,
Think its supposed to be the jan update everyone is talking about. Found some simple instructions and im all setup on 2.1
jstwondrng

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:21 pm
@droid him,
One question I have (which probably cannot be answered right now), does anyone know if it will include multi-touch?
BucYouUp68

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:31 pm
@cmacv,
According to the reports, YES. Dolphin Browser already has multitouch.
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:32 pm
@jstwondrng,
The video I've seen demonstrates that multi-touch is supported but still not used. Dolphin Browser does multi-touch, but the Droid 2.1 environment does not.
jstwondrng

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:37 pm
@The Chief,
UGH! That would be so useful for viewing photos. Also, they didn't mention anything (from what I've read) about a better music player or video/movie viewer built in. These things are the only things holding it back from being the proverbial iPhone killer Smile BTW, still luving my phone! Every time I mess with settings, it gets even more awesome!
The Chief

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:55 pm
@jstwondrng,
Here's a cool little trick JW: open voice dialer and say "Open Battery Info". You'll get a cool little page with battery life, temperature, voltage, etc. It's the ONLY way to get to this page. NEAT! Very Happy
jstwondrng

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 01:55 pm
@The Chief,
Thanks Chief! I'll check it out in a few.
0 Replies

BucYouUp68

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
@cmacv,
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7y-mN0c_Kk[/ame]
jstwondrng

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:22 pm
@BucYouUp68,
Ok, now that is FUNNY!
0 Replies

teddyearp

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:47 am
@droid him,
jstwondrng;1640 wrote:
One question I have (which probably cannot be answered right now), does anyone know if it will include multi-touch?

Nope, but there is a milestone/droid hybrid ROM in Alpha stage that does. Too buggy right now for me.

him;1634 wrote:
Think its supposed to be the jan update everyone is talking about. Found some simple instructions and im all setup on 2.1

I saw those instructions as well, but I'm going to wait for it to come out as an update file like the last one so I don't have to go through setting up all my apps/contacts/etc. again. Plus, their still working on some of the bugs in that one as well.
0 Replies

droid him

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 11:03 am
@cmacv,
Only bug i have is the light on the keyboard. I also used mybackuppro to restore apps data and stuff.
0 Replies

YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:58 pm
@jstwondrng,
jstwondrng;1643 wrote:
UGH! That would be so useful for viewing photos. Also, they didn't mention anything (from what I've read) about a better music player or video/movie viewer built in. These things are the only things holding it back from being the proverbial iPhone killer Smile BTW, still luving my phone! Every time I mess with settings, it gets even more awesome!

Live Gallery is just like the stock gallery, but supports multi-touch and swipes to the next pic like the Dare.