cmacv

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:43 am
i read that apps running in the background is fine here is some info from another website about it. so try going the whole day like normal without app killer and let the background apps run and see if you notice any battery diff. heres the piece about it.

Android is different to most other phone operating systems. It's closer to Linux than any other type of operating system. Lots of services and applications constantly run in the background just like they do on Windows. However, and this is important, they do not have to use up a ton of resources. A service or app can be loaded, yet use almost no additional memory, and 0% CPU until it actually has to do something.

In general, killing off stuff is a waste of time. Android automatically asks apps to close that aren't needed when it needs more memory. Killing off some of the processes you are killing off also means it'll slow your phone down, as these processes only need to reload, and when you do need to use them it means the phone will be slower for the few seconds it takes to reload them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,819 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cmacv

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 05:58 am
@cmacv,
these are the only apps you need to kill that use battery maps, bluetooth, WiFi, and GPS.
YankeeDudeL

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:57 pm
@cmacv,
My phone was freezing up and it was due to a bunch of apps (probably all of them) running at once. I don't know what caused it, I do have Taskiller, but they either weren't killing or would close and then open up again immediately, and others would also follow. I wonder if I DLed an app that caused this. So be wary of that.
The Chief

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:14 am
@YankeeDudeL,
I had TasKiller but after research uninstalled it. I find no difference in phone functionality or battery longevity.
0 Replies

Les video

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 01:46 pm
@YankeeDudeL,
YankeeDudeL;1021 wrote:
My phone was freezing up and it was due to a bunch of apps (probably all of them) running at once. I don't know what caused it, I do have Taskiller, but they either weren't killing or would close and then open up again immediately, and others would also follow. I wonder if I DLed an app that caused this. So be wary of that.

Hay Dude:)
You didnot say how you got it back to normal?? I had same problem(freez and slugsish) and found out if you remove battery for 30 seconds and put it back in, everything is great again!
YankeeDudeL

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 02:14 pm
@Les video,
Les video;1123 wrote:
Hay Dude:)
You didnot say how you got it back to normal?? I had same problem(freez and slugsish) and found out if you remove battery for 30 seconds and put it back in, everything is great again!

Mine has done this three times now. First time, everything kinda worked itself out. The second time, I took it to VZW and the tech guy said the phone itself was fine, just that too many apps were running at the same time. He couldn't, however, go into the settings to shut them down. Had to restore phone to it's "Factory Data" state (basically start over completely, returning it to it's just-out-of-the-box state). The third time, I just did that myself. Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset.
0 Replies