• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 5,462 • Replies: 38

panzade

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:45 am
tres cool...what a ride
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:37 am
We've come a long way from the Waldseemüller world map.

Joe(and we still don't know everything.)Nation
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:43 am
Wow! Can see 10,000' below the ocean!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:52 am
What exactly is it? I thought it was satellite until I saw the Taj Mahal and it looked like one of those on-line reality games.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:37 am
@Green Witch,
Google Earth, on synchronized, wrap-around screens.

It's only as accurate as its source material.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:50 am
@DrewDad,
So that means at some point all these images were filmed and are now complied. Is that correct? Like my house on Google Earth, the image doesn't change - it's alway summer in my shot and my dog is trying to catch a rabbit in the background.

The thing that's a little scary about this technology is how long until it is expanded into real time and some government, like China, will find a way to watch all it's citizens and make sure they don't do things like say something nice about the Dali Lama. I know we have military technology that works in a similar fashion, but as much as I might like to cyber travel to Bhutan this afternoon, I worry about the bigger possibilities in the future.

My brain hurts.
Irishk

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:14 pm
@Green Witch,
On the other hand, if the technology (or similar) is used by law enforcement to fight crime they can invoke the 'low expectation of privacy' clause, but it would apply to everyone (as I understand it) and not just criminals.

Quote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10451518-38.html

"This is a critical question for privacy in the 21st century. If the courts do side with the government, that means that everywhere we go, in the real world and online, will be an open book to the government unprotected by the Fourth Amendment."
--Kevin Bankston, attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:28 pm
Think I will enter at the west end of the stadium.

Neat Drewdad.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:12 am
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:22 pm
@DrewDad,
Irishk

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 05:19 pm
@DrewDad,
Wow. Very cool, indeed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 05:53 pm
Potentially very handy; for my old work, it would have been good to have a not-so-speedy pan/wrap of a given area/region. (We already used aerial photos, but this could have been a plus.)

I suppose too that there are nasty possibilities that go along with it, given accurate sources.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 06:36 pm
@DrewDad,
Neat though with my destructive inner child I was disappointed when you couldn't crash into buildings, bridges, and such.

The 'helicopter' ghosted through the Golden Gate Bridge. Crappy physics man!

Virtual touring the planet is cool. Blowing stuff up is cooler. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:13 pm
@DrewDad,
Sorry if I'm overly negative, but this kind of graphic is something that would have been cool ~5 years ago, not very impressive today, specially the oceanic floor was very flat, and did not display very detailed 3D map. There was used a 2D bump map, which looked terrible.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:29 am
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:40 am
@DrewDad,
Graphene is permeable to water, but not to Helium.

Supermaterial goes superpermeable

Quote:

In a report published in Science, a team led by Professor Sir Andre Geim shows that graphene-based membranes are impermeable to all gases and liquids (vacuum-tight). However, water evaporates through them as quickly as if the membranes were not there at all.

This newly-found property can now be added to the already long list of superlatives describing graphene. It is the thinnest known material in the universe and the strongest ever measured. It conducts electricity and heat better than any other material. It is the stiffest one too and, at the same time, it is the most ductile. Demonstrating its remarkable properties won University of Manchester academics the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2010.

Now the University of Manchester scientists have studied membranes from a chemical derivative of graphene called graphene oxide. Graphene oxide is the same graphene sheet but it is randomly covered with other molecules such as hydroxyl groups OH-. Graphene oxide sheets stack on top of each other and form a laminate.

The researchers prepared such laminates that were hundreds times thinner than a human hair but remained strong, flexible and were easy to handle.

When a metal container was sealed with such a film, even the most sensitive equipment was unable to detect air or any other gas, including helium, to leak through.

It came as a complete surprise that, when the researchers tried the same with ordinary water, they found that it evaporates without noticing the graphene seal. Water molecules diffused through the graphene-oxide membranes with such a great speed that the evaporation rate was the same independently whether the container was sealed or completely open.

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:37 am
@DrewDad,
Ultra-efficient LED puts out more power than is pumped in

Quote:
MIT physicists have managed to build a light-emitting diode that has an electrical efficiency of more than 100 percent. You may ask, "Wouldn't that mean it breaks the first law of thermodynamics?" The answer, happily, is no.

The LED produces 69 picowatts of light using 30 picowatts of power, giving it an efficiency of 230 percent. That means it operates above "unity efficiency" -- putting it into a category normally occupied by perpetual motion machines.

However, while MIT's diode puts out more than twice as much energy in photons as it's fed in electrons, it doesn't violate the conservation of energy because it appears to draw in heat energy from its surroundings instead. When it gets more than 100 percent electrically-efficient, it begins to cool down, stealing energy from its environment to convert into more photons.

In slightly more detail, the researchers chose an LED with a small band gap, and applied smaller and smaller voltages. Every time the voltage was halved, the electrical power was reduced by a factor of four, but the light power emitted only dropped by a factor of two. The extra energy came instead from lattice vibrations.

Don't miss: Let there be LED: The future of the light bulb

The scientists involved have detailed their discovery in a paper published in Physical Review Letters, saying: "Experiments directly confirm for the first time that this behaviour continues beyond the conventional limit of unity electrical-to-optical power conversion efficiency."

69 picowatts of light, of course, is a very small amount -- so you're not likely to be able to read in bed with one of these LEDs. However, it could have applications in low-power electronics, acting as a thermodynamic heat engine but with fast electrical control.

Image credit: Shutterstock

Cooling things with light.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:34 am
I love this thread Dad!
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 01:29 pm
@panzade,
Repost from Fark, but it's cool: