dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 04:17 pm
@DrewDad,
Wow!
DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2012 05:55 pm
@dlowan,
Am I the only one that thinks this looks like a Dalek's gripper?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jxO0UwZwWXw/TV08Sa5vp-I/AAAAAAAAAPs/k6X6YtJWhfw/s1600/dalek.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 10:46 am
@DrewDad,
The solar oven making salt water drinkable

Quote:
Designer Gabriele Diamanti has created a solar oven called the Eliodomestico that can make salt water drinkable. Furthermore, the invention can be made out of cheap and readily available materials enabling local craftsmen in the developing world to build the oven for themselves.

"This project is intended to bring good drinking water to the families in the developing countries at no operating cost"

You simply fill the black boiler with salty water then tighten the cap. Throughout the day as the temperature rises and the pressure increases, steam is forced downwards through a pipe and collects in the lid of the oven. This acts as a condenser, turning the steam into fresh drinking water.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2012 11:38 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
...this looks like a Dalek's gripper?

I thought it was an espresso machine.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 04:30 pm
@panzade,
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20121105/PC05/121109613/1010/kearney-column-google-data-center-executive-updates-berkeley-county-site

Google has cooling pond. Heating the pond causes algae. Algae requires fish. Fish attract alligator.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 01:48 pm
@DrewDad,
http://gizmodo.com/5965143/holy-spock-the-star-trek-medical-tricorder-is-real-and-its-only-150

Quote:
The unit is a tiny hardware device that reads your vital health information on contact. You simply place it on the left temple and, in less than ten seconds, it will read your pulse transit time, heart rate, electrical heart activity, temperature, heart rate variability and blood oxygenation. Then it sends this information to an app on your iPhone or Android phone, which displays it for you. You can even store your vitals for tracking, which could prove fundamental to many health situations at home.

For ScanaFlo, imagine a disposable blue plastic rectangle with a QR code and a window that reveals paper swatches and a color calibration target (similar to this). To get a reading, you need to pee on the rectangle as one would on a pregnancy test. Depending on the content of your urine, the swatches will change color.

But what do these color mean? You don't have to guess or remember. Point your smartphone at the QR target and it will take a photo, telling you if it detects anything out of the ordinary based on the hue of the paper swatches, which react differently depending on your health status. According its creators, ScanaFlo tests for "pregnancy complications, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, kidney failure and urinary tract infections."

ScanaFlu works in a similar way. Instead of a rectangle, it's a square with a small protuberance on which you have to spit. Your saliva will be distributed to different test units using tiny nano-vessels. Incredibly enough, this "disposable cartridge will provide early detection for Strep A, Influenza A, Influenza B, Adenovirus and RSV." Like ScanaFlo, you will use your phone's camera to have a result sent to your app.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 06:40 pm
@DrewDad,
LEDs to the Rescue: The $5 Lighting Solution That Runs on Sand
http://blogs.artinfo.com/objectlessons/2012/12/12/leds-to-the-rescue-the-5-lighting-solution-that-runs-on-sand/

Cheap tech that can be used in making the developing world a much better place.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 02:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
This Should Be A Hit In Texas: Puddle Of Oil Turns Into A Christmas Tree
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/12/17/167446885/this-should-be-a-hit-in-texas-puddle-of-oil-turns-into-a-christmas-tree
DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 11:58 am
@tsarstepan,
Atoms Reach Record Temperature, Colder than Absolute Zero

This is some mind-blowing stuff....
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 12:55 pm
@DrewDad,
Great story DD. Surprised I'm going to have to read it two or three more times to truly digest this. I wonder if this experiment/set of experiments have been repeated by other independent groups to verify the veracity of negative temperatures.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:12 pm
New iPhone Geared Towards College-Aged Girls
http://tinyurl.com/c6udfmy
DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is not a humor thread....
DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 04:55 pm
@DrewDad,
REM's "Losing My Religion" shifted into a major scale

Quote:
"Someone has gone to the trouble (I don't know how but would suspect using Melodyne DNA or somesuch) of processing REM's minor-scale downer hit 'Losing My Religion' so that all the minor notes are now major. When I followed the link I thought it'd be a cover, but no, it's the original, processed. It's uncanny - the song is just as familiar as always but the impact is utterly different. Kind of like finding a colour print of a film you'd only known in black and white, or seeing Garfield minus Garfield for the first time. I like it."
DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 11:29 am
@DrewDad,
Shaping an asteroid's orbit with spray paint

Quote:
So by spray painting a certain part of an asteroid or all of it, either with light or dark paint (depending on what you want to do), you can modify its trajectory and gently, oh-so-gently, push it into a safer trajectory. This isn't the kind of technique that would be used when there's imminent danger, but it could be used as a preventive way to nudge near Earth objects away from the only planet we have.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2013 04:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Like belling the cat, first you've got to get there.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 01:23 pm
@DrewDad,
tres cool
DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 04:08 pm
@panzade,
The Beatles – The End isolated tracks

Quote:
The Beatles’ “The End” was the last song recorded collectively by all four Beatles, and is the final song of the medley that comprises the majority of side two of the LP version of the album.

McCartney, Harrison, and Lennon perform a rotating sequence of three, two-bar guitar solos. The solos begin approximately 53 seconds into the song and end just before the final piano part.

Each has a distinctive style which McCartney felt reflected their personalities: McCartney’s playing included string bends similar to his lead guitar work on “Another Girl” from the Help! album and the stinging style he had first perfected on “Taxman” from Revolver; Harrison’s solo incorporated the melodic yet technically advanced slides that were becoming his trademark; lastly Lennon’s contribution was rhythmic, snarling, and had the heaviest distortion, echoing his lead work in “Revolution”. Immediately after Lennon’s third solo, the piano chords of the final line “And in the end…” begin. Then the orchestration arrangement takes over with a humming chorus and Harrison playing a final guitar solo that ends the song.

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Apr, 2013 05:18 pm
@DrewDad,
I always loved the solos but I didn't know McCartney was there too.
Great find DD
0 Replies