Help me write a story. Please?

Seed

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:51 pm
So I am going to try and get a story I have written published. It will be targeted to little kids. I am guessing between the age of 4 and 10. I have a few questions though.

What is the best way to turn a short story that is roughly 4 pages long into a 15 page (or at least the market norm length of a book for this age bracket) book that consist of a Large picture with words underneath? I understand all of this is a bit vague.

Please if you have any questions please ask them. I am sure I have not thought of all the questions I need to ask. So if you have any of them please ask them so I can be better suited to face this task ahead and be able to accomplish it.

Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:54 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
What is the best way to turn a short story that is roughly 4 pages long into a 15 page...book

Illustrations. Most children's stories are very short, but with lots of pictures.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:55 pm
@Seed,
Also - usually the type face is much larger.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Yes, I have a friend who will be working on the illustrations with me.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:59 pm
@Seed,
Four pages long is not very descriptive when it comes to children's books. How many words long is the story?

If it is 800 words long then it doesn't need to be longer. You might have to shorten it.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:03 pm
I should say that I if I was trying to make my story stretch into 15 pages or so with illustrations that I would not be worried. It is a long story. My problem is taking said story and making it small enough to fit into typical 5 to 6 lines per page (Sorry if this is wrong, I haven't read a child's story in a while) without losing the story.

How long (read: Pages with illustrations) can the story be before it no longer something a parent would want to read to a child?
boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:03 pm
Ages 4 to 10?

That's a huge age difference. I'd work on narrowing down the category you want to appeal to.
Seed

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:07 pm
@boomerang,
it is just a rough estimate.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
If parents are going to be reading it then it should be 4-7 in age. I can't imagine a child of 9 or 10 reading a picture book.

First thing to do is see about your descriptions in the story. Simplify them. Move as much as you can to the illustrations without destroying the story.
Seed

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:32 pm
@parados,
I often liked my mother reading stories to me up until I was 12 or even 13. But I guess that is just me.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:57 pm
I don't know contemporary children's books at all, and barely knew them when I was a child. (I remember an oilcloth book that I probably slobbered on, a mother goose book, and a couple of christmas present type children's books that I had faint interest in. So... I'm no expert. A big factor in my learning to read for pleasure was the sunday funny pages back in those days.

But, if I were you, I'd spend an afternoon in a really good library and work my way through the children's section looking for books that seemed to have stories like yours and how they were formatted. I'd list authors and titles that seemed anywhere near a likely fit for your story, and then research them more at your leisure on your computer.

Even figuring out what you don't like could be a help.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:22 pm
@Seed,
post the story

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:27 pm
@oolongteasup,
mmm? I don't know if I'd post a story I was writing a book about. Probably not a problem, but potentially is. I know a little bit about this re screenplays.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:28 pm
@oolongteasup,
Someone might steal it. The internet is one big shareware. He needs to at least get a copyright.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:30 pm
@Green Witch,
In my experience, hard earned, you cannot copyright an idea. If I live so long and don't give a **** as time passes, I'll explain the layers and complications of this.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I understand he can't copyright the idea. I meant an actual book copyright.
ehBeth

@Seed,
Seed wrote:
I haven't read a child's story in a while

you need to spend some time in book stores and libraries getting to know what contemporary childrens' books are like

I linked a good site on one of boomer's threads earlier today where you can look at some samples

Google orca soundings + publisher

0 Replies

ossobuco

@ossobuco,
A routine copyright method, at least in the past, was to send your script to yourself registered mail.
I see this as a mild palliative, like one aspirin.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:39 pm
@Green Witch,
No argument, but he's just about to talk about his idea here.
Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
A routine copyright method, at least in the past, was to send your script to yourself registered mail.

This is a myth. It has no legal standing.