roger

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:27 pm
@Amigo,
I live where they drive pickups and stuff.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 08:41 pm
@roger,
that narrows it down, rat...

I live where they used to drive cows to the railroad, and now they drive hummers to the ethanol plant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:32 pm
I hitch hiked across Utah, once. It's a treasured memory. After leaving San Francisco, my brother, Sam, and I eventually stood at the border to the state, with our thumbs out and cars whizzing by. After a few hours, a police officer stopped. "You've been here so long, that I have to check you out."
Well, turns out, he had a paper on a loose murderer, who had our last name and a combination of our names for his first and second labels. The officer took our prints and we had to wait until they were ran. At last, he went his way and we took up our spot by the road.
But we had to separate to get picked up.
Once, a helicopter flew near, circled, and turned back. Eventually, a law officer drove me most of the way to Salt Lake. The landscape had me reliving every western film I had ever seen.
A college girl picked me up next. She was friendly, at first. "Do you turn on?" she said.
Informed that I did not "turn on," she clammed up.
The lake was a marvel. There were piers on dry land. I wanted to stop and explore a bit, but clung to my ride.
I was wholly unprepared for the appearance of Salt Lake City. I didn't care that the Mormon belief system was responsible for what I saw that day. It was an honor to be there.
My next ride took me on to Kansas City, where I reunited with Sam.
Amigo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Some college girl picked you up hitchicking and asked you "Do you turn on" And you said NO!?!?

It's still a great story. But man what if you would have said YES.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:30 am
Salt Lake City is the only place in the world where I ever got a citation for jaywalking!!! I crossed against a red light when there was no traffic coming either direction for, like, seven or eight blocks. BAM! Smokey on a scooter. I couldn't believe it. Wanted to ask him, are you a real cop? Are we on Candid Camera?

Didn't pay the ticket, of course, as I was leaving town in about two days anyway. For all I know they still have a warrant out for me as a default.
Amigo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:22 am
@Merry Andrew,
The Mormons keep VERY good records. No kidding.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:27 am
Mormon of the Nephites

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_(prophet)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:51 am
@Amigo,
Amigo wrote:

Some college girl picked you up hitchicking and asked you "Do you turn on" And you said NO!?!?

It's still a great story. But man what if you would have said YES.
Smile
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:40 pm

Mitt Romney - If You Could Hie to Kolob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeqQ1gAzGtw&feature=related

http://nowscape.com/mormon/kolob1.gif

0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 01:09 am
http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/utah-judge-oks-killer-ronnie-lee-gardners-request-for-firing-squad/19452274
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:06 am
Wait, the Mormon's logo is the beehive? I always thought it was Utah's logo because of the tendency of sandstone to become swiss-cheese like.
Amigo

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:20 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Wait, the Mormon's logo is the beehive? I always thought it was Utah's logo because of the tendency of sandstone to become swiss-cheese like.
Yes, it is the beehive. It is a symbol for being productive and industrious as a team in an order.

Joseph Smith stole the beehive symbol from the masons. Joseph Smith was a mason The masons killed Joseph Smith. Then Utah used the Beehive symbol after the federal government took Utah from Bingham Young and the Mormons.

(thanks for giving me a chance to go on about Utah. It is very interesting to me)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:22 am
Learn something new every day! I did a dig one summer down by a FLDS town in Southern Utah. The dig organizers took us there because they'd dug within the city in the past. Was interesting.
Amigo

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:25 am
@littlek,
I can't drink the beer. 3.2 beer REALLY sucks. Iv'e gotten threee moving violation tickets. I am on probation at the DMV.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:27 am
@Amigo,
sounds to me like not drinking the beer mighta been your salvation...

drive careful now, ya hear...?

Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:37 am
@Amigo,
I spent a week in UT 5 yeras ago, or so. I bought a low-alcohol Guinness. We were all somewhat caffeine deprived and feeling crappy. Next time I bring a couple six packs of espresso drinks.
Amigo

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:48 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I spent a week in UT 5 yeras ago, or so. I bought a low-alcohol Guinness. We were all somewhat caffeine deprived and feeling crappy. Next time I bring a couple six packs of espresso drinks.
That is exactly what people do. In fact the big thing around here is driving to the state line to get high point. At work the other day some kids were arguing about who drank all the high point and one kid was bragging about how he still had some.

The bars really suck to. Theirs a real negative vibe in them.
littlek

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:50 am
@Amigo,
Happily I have never been in a Utah bar. What's the bad vibe from, do you think?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:52 am
@Amigo,
I gotta be honest.

I never stopped in Utah but for gas.

except once, we went over by the temple and walked around and looked at the Mormons.

once was enough.

be safe, amigo...

edit:

and weigh stations. them boys are kinda aggressive...
Amigo

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 10:59 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Happily I have never been in a Utah bar. What's the bad vibe from, do you think?
Criminalized attitude towards drinking.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Living in Utah
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 02:38:36