Americans knowing their place, and where it is!

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:12 am
Hi Odd balls,
I would just like to help Americans, with a point of reference Hemispheres! What they are and how many, and where they are?
The reason for this is I have been hearing people recently saying that they live on the western hemisphere. Not just some Odd ball on this line some weeks ago, but on a C B S news report about Haiti.
Their are only two hemispheres. Not four.
They are called the Northern Hemisphere, and the Southern hemisphere. They are separated by the Equator, we have only one of those. Some planets have two Equators because they wobble as they spin.
The way it works is. If you travel far enough north you will get to a point where your compass arrow will keep turning back. You have reached the North pole. Now if you keep going in any direction from true north, then you are going south. When you get to the South pole the same thing happens to your compass.
The concept of west and east depend on where you are and where you are going to and from. If you look at a world map America, is on the left and China, on the right. If you actually travel to China, from America, going east. When you get to China, its not east. East or west are somewhere you can never get to.
There is no point that can be true west or east. So please no more Western hemisphere, there isn't one OK.
Dardardit,

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:18 am
I think "western hemisphere" is a reference to N and S. America in relationship to Europe. It's how they see us.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:19 am
@dardardit,
Sorry darardit but words can have more then one meaning, one in this case is political, and the other is geography.

Both are understood in content and both are not wrong to use.

Now where did I leave my GPS.

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:23 am
better inform the oxford dictionary

hemisphere
• noun 1 a half of a sphere. 2 a half of the earth, usually as divided into northern and southern halves by the equator, or into western and eastern halves by an imaginary line passing through the poles.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:25 am
http://www.worldatlas.com/aatlas/newart/imageh.gif
There are apparently several ways to slice an apple.

Joe(east is east and west is west, see the prime meridian for starts)Nation
ebrown p

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:33 am
@dardardit,
Hi Normal people of the world,

First, the flawed math. Your statement that there are only two hemispheres is simply wrong. The prefix "hemi" simply means "half"-- any way you choose to divide the Earth into two even pieces, you will have two hemispheres.

Geography is full of imaginary lines. Humans name each division they make to reflect social or political or social values.

"Western" is just a name, yet every educated English speaking person in the world knows what it means. That is what makes it as real as any of the arbitrary borders we use to carve up the world.

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:33 am
@Joe Nation,
Dar dar ****.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't we wobble a tad, too?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:39 am
it's interesting about east and west however, since the arbitrary line seems to be the date line and a corresponding point on the opposite side, shouldn't the hemispheres be called past (west) and future (left), or yesterday and today, or even today and tomorrow
0 Replies

dardardit

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:44 am
@BillRM,
Hi BillRM,
How are you? not spiting fire today You were quick to take the bate. If you fined yourGPS, It will do the same as a compass. Their is only to poles North and South so only to Hemispheres.
Dardardit,
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:48 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
First, the flawed math. Your statement that there are only two hemispheres is simply wrong. The prefix "hemi" simply means "half"-- any way you choose to divide the Earth into two even pieces, you will have two hemispheres.

That would be true... if the Earth were a sphere. Wake up and smell the TRUTH, ebrown. There are no hemispheres, because there is no spoon. I mean sphere.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
@dardardit,
dardardit wrote:

Hi BillRM,
How are you? not spiting fire today You were quick to take the bate. If you fined yourGPS, It will do the same as a compass. Their is only to poles North and South so only to Hemispheres.
Dardardit,

Dardarit must be a young child. His spelling errors look like homework written by an eight year old.
dardardit

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:50 am
@djjd62,
Hi djjd62,
No! you are wrong. North and South poles are not just a concept as I explained the magnetic points can be found with a compass.
East and west can not be found with a compass.
Dardardit,
ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:54 am
@dardardit,
what kinda cheap compass did you buy?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:56 am
@dardardit,
sure they can, relative to north and south, other wise with a compass you'd not be able to travel in any direction, but north and south

0 Replies

dardardit

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 07:59 am
@wandeljw,
Hi wandeljw,
HAY LADY!
So I dropped a 'T' in Spitting' So what?
Dardardit,
dardardit

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:04 am
Well That was fun !
So what are you chaps doing up so late any way ?
Good night.
Dardardit,
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:20 am
@dardardit,
It's only late right now in the WestEastern Hemistator.
djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:24 am
@DrewDad,
you mean the north north west quadrant
DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:27 am
@djjd62,
There are no quadrants in a hemistator. Stators are made of hectraitors. Hemistators are made of unobtainium.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 08:39 am
It is worth noting that the "equator" is an imaginary line, too. I suspect that this clown is afraid of walking too fast, for fear that he'll trip over one of the lines of longitude. I applaud everyone's efforts here. Anyone taking this joker seriously has got to be a hopeless case.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Americans knowing their place, and where it is!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:30:22