Calculus

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:16 am
What exactly is the first rule of calculus?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:35 am
"Don't try to do your math homework by asking questions on web forums", perhaps, or maybe "an indefinite integration can be reversed by a differentiation."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:39 am
Um.

Always check your work.

Joe(twice)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 07:42 am
@Five Star,
Im not sure what youre referring to but, for me, AS soon as I discovered that calculus allowed me to think in real world problems of physical properties, motion, size, and shapes, it became like mastering a musical instrument.

Search for the connection between the calculus and the real world, and do it as soon as you are able.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:05 am
Probably you are referring to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, in which case Contrex is correct.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 08:10 am
Code:... the first rule of calculus:

dy
--(x^n) = nx^(n-1)
dx

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:01 pm
@farmerman,
I do not know how they now deal with the teaching of calculus but my first college calculus text book was god awful as it did not seem hardly to try to explain the concepts behind the rules given to solve problems!

However, I found a wonderful book in the library who title is lost forever in the dim past that did explained how all those rules came about along with a little history of Newton and Leibniz development of the subject. The book even gave some background of the Greek mathematicians works that used some of the principles that a thousand years later was incorporated into calculus.

So Famerman for once I agree with you. Hmm, I wonder if good old Asimov ever wrote a book on the subject, if so knowing him it would be a useful and interesting read.

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2010 09:27 pm
@BillRM,
YEh, Ive found that the networdk on the development of the calculus was as important as each series of "tricks" Id learnt. Interesting though, nowadays the construction of linear algebra is as important in the visualization of miniscule bits of volume (area, speed, gravity etc). The ability to present things visually is important to convince the "decision makers" (my clients) about the things that weve concieved for them.
0 Replies