It's a gift to be simple - The Shakers

chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:35 am
I was inspired to start this thread by farmermans talk of his Amish neighbors.

The Shakers are a religion that at it's height, had more than 6,000 members.
They are an offshoot, what what I understand, of the Quakers.

Here's the wikipedia article on them, for more detail...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakers

In the past I had read about them, their ways and belief that each person can find God in themselves, rather than through clergy.

They are probably best known by many for their furniture and woven goods, which are beautiful in their simplicity and function. Work is looked upon as prayer, and each item is made as to be as perfect and lasting as possible.

Today, according to the wiki page, there is only 1 active Shaker community left, with 3 members.

I have often wondered why more people have not joined this religion.

Of course one detriment to growth is that Shakers choose to be celibate.

In their past, they would adopt orphans, who were free to leave or join the group at age 21.
I once read the accounts of several of these orphans, who chose to leave as adults, and none said they were coherced to stay, or mentioned any abuses.

They can't today adopt children as a group anymore, legally.

Their lives, though simple, are not austere. They enjoy good food, colors in their clothes, work that isn't to the point of exhaustion, etc.

Considering all the extreme cults and outlandish religious societies a lot of people choose to live in, I can't grasp why this community is so near its end.

Celebacy is not such an unusual condition for people to choose to live in, nor is a simple life that strives to serve God through their work and prayer.
They don't shun technology, they use computers.
Their products are more expensive, since they aren't mass produced, but their must be enough of a market for their income.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,832 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 09:54 am
@chai2,
I went to high school in Maine with a Shaker. Years later I watched a documentary about the community and how it was dwindling, and she was in it. I'm wondering if she's part of what you read in the Wiki.

I think simplicity is much too hard of a concept for most people to grasp. Simplicity really means paring down your life, while most people on the planet like to layer it up with drama and materials.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:02 am
i remember a documentary about the shakers, the one thing that stuck in my mind was a discussion about the impact of the depression around on community, when it was discovered that people were sneaking in and stealing vegetables from the gardens, the community responded by increasing the size of the gardens until the economy improved
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:09 am
@chai2,
I think this is a natural occurrence for small religious groups who don't have the
financial means to expand and teach of their religion - eventually they diminish
to a handful of followers and/or become completely extinct.

djjd62

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:15 am
@CalamityJane,
well the non procreation thing was tough on them too
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:20 am
@djjd62,
Oh yes, dj, definitely. It's always beyond my comprehension why any religion
would ask such a cruel thing of their followers. It's just as natural as eating,
I don't see the need to abstain - unless you're under age.
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:28 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i remember a documentary about the shakers, the one thing that stuck in my mind was a discussion about the impact of the depression around on community, when it was discovered that people were sneaking in and stealing vegetables from the gardens, the community responded by increasing the size of the gardens until the economy improved

Yeah, that sounds typical of what I have read about them.

People are hungry and need to steal our vegetables?

Well then, let's grow more.

Gala - yes, it would be interesting if your classmate was one of the three. What was she like?

I thought about that, the "layering on" everywhere in life, including religion. Those "mega churches" like in Houston? Personally I'd have to slit my throat if the only method I had to worship was with 10,000 other people at the same time.
Sure, there's a lot of people consumed with consumerism, but I think there's a lot of people who aren't, and not just because it's the fad right now to be simple.
heh...I love it when I read or see something they want you to buy, so that your life can become more simple. You can't have less unless you buy more!

I think it's about balance, and quality.
The Shakers are all about quality, which will last, and last.

cj - I don't think it's a matter of money, and it isn't like they have only been around a few years.
I don't think there's any injunction about someone in their community going out and working in the larger community....also, I don't think they are interested in active recruiting.

I am having a hard time seeing how there aren't more people who look at their lives, and see they want to be part of it.

I personally don't believe there was anything this person Jesus (if there even was a real person that was Jesus) had to save us from, as I believe the idea of inheriting some "original sin" is ridiculous.
However, their life in general is something I could see myself being interested in.
I don't think Wally would enjoy me becoming celibate, and I'm not about to move to Maine. Plus because of what I said about. However, surely this isn't as hard as what many people willingly do for other faiths.

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:28 am
That celibacy thing makes it hard to propagate the faith, though . . .

(hehehehehehe . . . i crack me up . . . )
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:29 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Oh yes, dj, definitely. It's always beyond my comprehension why any religion
would ask such a cruel thing of their followers. It's just as natural as eating,
I don't see the need to abstain - unless you're under age.

There's a lot of people out there who aren't interested in sex. Really.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:36 am
@chai2,
Oh yes Chai, but this was a choice they have made on their own, right?
It's different than if your religion dictates it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:37 am
@Setanta,
Weve had several chances to meet some of the Shakers at the Sabathday Lake Shaker Village. The last time was about 7 years ago in 2003. We met with SIster Ann, who wrote and autographed my copy of her cookbook "Shaker your Plate" AT that time there were 2 new converts who, as I understood, would have to serve a lengthy pweriod of "worthiness assessment" in order to ascend the Brothers stairs in the main house. The majority of the Shakers alive were women , really old women and then there were these 2 bucks who, as far as I could see, had no appreciable talent for any craft. So the wagon shop and the woodqworking mills were more of a tourist attraction rather than actual shops. At Hancock Shaker Village, they at least keep the shops humming with volunteers . There we would learn how to do hand cut dovetails or growing pipsessewa or how to make your own aspirin.

Ive read a bit about Sister Ann Lee and from what I read, She was on the outer fringes of being a nutty butter bar.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:39 am
@chai2,
Quote:
There's a lot of people out there who aren't interested in sex. Really
Those would be the Baptists.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:42 am
@farmerman,
don't kid yourself.

the baptists are very interested in sex.

other people's sex...

shakers make some damn fine furniture.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:44 am
or Catholics - who must follow the rhythm method to get into heaven, lest they let god see them screwing on the off days.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 10:48 am
I donĀ“t think it is a question of not having sex. There are many people who are not interested in sex, they might be divorced, widower, widows. What maybe makes t difficult to join a group - it does not have to be a religious group is that you have to spend all your time with the same people, work with them, share your free time to a great extent, sit at the same table to eat, eat what is served that day.
I have visited Shaker farms and I find them just lovely and very attractiv, but I personally am not interested in farming and country life. I am not very interested in group living and I am rather extroverted. Imagen an introverted person living in a group - that must be rather difficult.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 11:32 am
@farmerman,
You know why Babdists disapprove of sex, don't you?

They think it might lead to dancing.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 01:13 pm
@chai2,
What was she like? I'd say she kept to herself, didn't pal around with anyone and never seemed troubled in anyway. Definitely wise beyond her years in that regard. She was a grade below me so I never had classes with her, I just saw her in the hall or the cafeteria. We'd say hello, but that was about it.

If you look at the picture of the 4 remaining, they look at peace, don't you think? Then again, they have the spiritual dimension and keep out a lot of the background noise and stress from daily life out of their village.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 01:40 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

... but the Shakers weren't married.
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 02:38 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

... but the Shakers weren't married.

Back when there was a larger number of them, yes indeed, some were when they entered the group.

they stayed married, and no longer had sex.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2010 02:42 pm
@chai2,
just like normal people...