Nerds, Please Assist: Targeted Links and Outlook 2007 HTML

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:05 am
So I've taken it upon myself to learn Dreamweaver CS3, in order to design non-shitty looking emails for Evil Corp., my employer. I know the ropes and have created some dope-ass pages. However, as you may know, Outlook 2007 enjoys shitting all over your hard work when you try to paste it into the body of an email. The issue I would like to address here concerns targeted links that direct you to a specific section of another page.

Dreamweaver users employ "named anchors" to this effect. Yesterday I designed a template for an email. In it, online course titles are linked to a public webpage, also of my design, containing abstracts for the courses. The idea is that recipients of the email will click a course title of interest and a browser window will open and immediately within view will be the abstract for the title clicked. Which is exactly what happens when the email template is viewed via Explorer--meaning my anchors work.

But when pasted into Outlook '07, my page acts like a bitch. You click a course title, and each link directs you to the top of the abstract page. You then have to scroll to find your abstract. That ain't cool.

I know that email-makers using Outlook '07 commonly gripe about anchors for navigating within the email. My understanding is that there is a solution for that issue. But what about my issue, damnit? Is there a solution?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,922 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Gargamel
DrewDad
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:08 am
@Gargamel,
Since Outlook 2007 is "shitting all over", can you verify that you didn't inadvertently use "drop anchors"?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:10 am
I can indeed verify that. But now that I think of it, I did spill prune juice all over my keyboard when drafting the page.
0 Replies