Finding the name for/coining a name for this syndrome

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:33 am
Here's one, but I don't like the sound of it - xenocensure.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:44 am
egocentric stupidity
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:51 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Here's one, but I don't like the sound of it - xenocensure.
What 's the point of beginning a word with an x ?
and then pretending that it is a z ?

Shoudn ' t we straighten that out ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 11:53 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
egocentric stupidity
YEAH !! We shoud let them murder our children too! some nerve
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:35 pm
I think "Tribalism" is the right word. This describes the sociological phenomenon pretty well.

The only more specific term I came up with is - "ethnocentrism" which suggests an affinity for people who look like you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 12:48 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I think "Tribalism" is the right word. This describes the sociological phenomenon pretty well.

The only more specific term I came up with is - "ethnocentrism"

which suggests an affinity for people who look like you.
Its not like we let the Canadians murder our children.
We keep them safe from the Canadians.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:28 pm
I vote for the hyperassociative effect: the willingness to assign benign intentions to those of similar association.
Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
@engineer,
Hyperassociative effect, that seems closest to the mark, so far.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:06 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I vote for the hyperassociative effect: the willingness to assign benign intentions to those of similar association.

That is a good term to express the characteristics that Robert described. I think another part of Robert's description includes the hatred associated with xenophobia. Maybe the 2 can be combined. (xenophobia with hyperassociative features)
jespah

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:17 pm
@wandeljw,
chauvinistic insularity
xenophobic insularity
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:20 pm
@wandeljw,
I think the hatred of other cultures is already implied and to add xenophobia would be redundant.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Humans often take much greater offense at aggression that comes from greater social or cultural distance.

• I can call my brother ugly but you can't.
  • Interracial crime makes it much more polemic. Our race can murder our children, but we'll be dammed if yours can!
  • Same with crimes by foreigners. Our citizens can rape our women, but we'll be dammed if yours can!

I'm looking for something more specific than, say, "tribalism". If anyone knows a good term that describes this kind of phenomena or can think of a good one please let me know.

Quote:
Humans often take much greater offense at aggression that comes from greater social or cultural distance.
Say WHAT? Even the humblest germ, bacterium, plant or insect will support its own kith and kin. Political correctness and/or hypocrisy has led to unprecedented mental confusion - well maybe not so unprecedented, for those of leftist leanings, they make a habit of it.
High Seas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:31 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

.....the hatred associated with xenophobia. Maybe the 2 can be combined. (xenophobia with hyperassociative features)

Let me get this straight, please, Wandel: if you see an apartment building on fire will YOU personally run in to save your own family members (dogs and other live-in animals included) AND anyone who looks like he MIGHT be related to your family OR - careful here - will you proceed by apartment number? Alphabetical order of residents?? What's with the xeno-phobia definition you're using?

Xeno = stranger, Phobia = fear. You got to define "xeno" first, otherwise your statement makes no sense.
engineer

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:32 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Even the humblest germ, bacterium, plant or insect will support its own kith and kin.

And what would you call the effect?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:48 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
High Seas wrote:

Even the humblest germ, bacterium, plant or insect will support its own kith and kin.

And what would you call the effect?

That it is not even scientifically true-- the idea that plants or bacteria "support" neighbors of the same species (favoring them over other species) is ludicrous.

There are species that show "altruism", I think they are generally vertebrates. Even some vertebrates cannibalize each other.
High Seas

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 02:50 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

That it is not even scientifically true-- the idea that plants or bacteria "support" neighbors of the same species is ludicrous, and even some vertebrates cannibalize each other.

There are species that show "altruism", I think they are generally vertebrates.

You post baseless opinions in the absence of ANY data - par for the course for YOU, but at least stop crowding the site with nonsense. "Natural Selection" works for organisms much, much less complex than vertebrates - hell, it works for algorithms. Look up "algos gone wild" - a standard term in high-frequency securities trading - for when algorithms (much like SOME breeds of humans, germs, etc) start breeding uncontrollably Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

.....the hatred associated with xenophobia. Maybe the 2 can be combined. (xenophobia with hyperassociative features)

Let me get this straight, please, Wandel: if you see an apartment building on fire will YOU personally run in to save your own family members (dogs and other live-in animals included) AND anyone who looks like he MIGHT be related to your family OR - careful here - will you proceed by apartment number? Alphabetical order of residents?? What's with the xeno-phobia definition you're using?

Xeno = stranger, Phobia = fear. You got to define "xeno" first, otherwise your statement makes no sense.

I do not understand how my choice of terminology implies any of that. I was merely trying to find jargon that would define the characteristics described by Robert.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 06:17 am
I also favour "tribalism" which I think refers to a dehumanizing anti-anthropomorphism thing with anyone outside our ring of human acceptence.

I think this is related: Working with somewhat famous people, you see a strange thing happen where someone will say to you... "I HATE person x." I'll say "hey wait a minute , person x is my freind and they are really nice" and you see this big mental adjustment take place where they have to move the person from "despised celebrity" to "human being." Sometimes they'll say something like... "oh you mean as a person? Oh really?"

I think maybe we treat our non-human humans as static symbols.
Sglass

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 06:46 am
@Eorl,
Hmmmm

How about Socil Symbiosis.
0 Replies