KFC Pulls "Racist" Australian TV spot

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:48 am
Hey, asshole, what racist stereotypes do you claim i say shouldn't be fought against? Try to provide proof for your bullshit, such as a quote of a post in which i called for people to stop fighting against racist stereotypes.

Beside being a twit, you are apparently a liar, too.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:51 am
@Setanta,
You are disparaging what the ADL and SPLC do.

The Anti-Defamation was started with the stated mission of stopping "Defamation" of Jewish people. This means they were looking for, and challenging things that they thought were negative stereotypes or racist symbols. The SPLC does much the same with their "Teaching Tolerance" program.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 02:53 pm
This reads like a "my free speech penis is bigger than your free speech penis" contest.

T
K
O
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 02:55 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

This reads like a "my free speech penis is bigger than your free speech penis" contest.

T
K
O

My free speech beats theirs any day.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 02:59 pm
@Diest TKO,
It's not the size of the Free Speech that matters, it's the way that you use it.

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 03:02 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Green Witch has responded really well, one other thought I have is that this was a specifically unthreatening, domesticated version of black people. Think pets.

That covers both how it could be a selling point (to white people) and also extremely disturbing to black people.

Minstrelsy/ blackface has a place here too -- the shows that black people would put on for white audiences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

I thought minstrel shows were white people pretending to be black people?
Eorl

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 05:21 pm
So I guess the irony of all this is that it leaves KFC Australia in a position where their sponsorship of the entire West Indies v Australia cricket series, will have to consist of commercials that do not show any West Indians. Or people who happen to be darker skinned. How would you advertise those positions?

Extras required for urgent TV commercial.
No dark skinned people need apply.

KFC is an equal opportunity employer

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:02 pm
@dlowan,
Nope, it was both.

The Wiki link is pretty good but pretty long -- I can summarize the important parts if it's daunting.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 06:11 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
It's not the size of the Free Speech that matters, it's the way that you use it.

...and we've arrived...

T
K
O
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:01 pm
@ebrown p,
You are completely delusional. I have not disparaged what ADL and the Southern Poverty Law Center do. If that were true, it would be a simple matter for you to quote the post in which i disparaged what they do. Put your money where your big, lunatic mouth is.

I have not called for anyone to stop speaking out against racism, i have not disparaged or belittled anyone who decries racist stereotypes. This is entirely the product of your perfervid imagination, your overheated, delusional view of anyone who has the temerity not to agree with you. You have provided zero evidence that ADL, NAACP or the Southern Poverty Law Center support the banning of Huckleberry Finn from school libraries, so you have absolutely no basis for your paranoid allegations against me. Are you saying that these organization call for Huckleberry Finn to be removed from school libraries?

Here's your comment on page one about Australia:

Quote:
Australia has big problems with race issues- which makes it a bit troubling that Australians would be upset with American sensitivities.

Sure, the US is seen as being obsessed with race. But, the progress we have made at moving our society toward being more just, more inclusive and more equal can't be ignored.

The US is not perfect-- but we put these things out in the open and wrestle with them. Discussion whether ads are offensive is part of this, and companies being sensitive is not only good business sense, but public debate of these issues is good for society.

For the all the stumbling we do around race issues we do pretty darn well compared to countries like Australia.

What's your evidence for the hateful remarks you're making about people, just because they are Australians? You make unsupported, unsubstantiated charges against Australia and Australians, apparently as a result of your idiosyncratic prejudices, and now you're flinging unsupported and unsubstantiated allegations at me. What's more, allegations you can't support, because i've never said anything remotely resembling what you allege against me.

You're a ranting lunatic, Brown. You're so eaten up with your own bigotry that you've completely lost track of reality.

Bite me Diest--what's up with you? Are you attempting to demonstrate that you're just as big an idiot as Brown?
DrewDad

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Are you attempting to demonstrate that you're just as big an idiot as Brown?

No, I think he has successfully demonstrated that you and Brown are equally large idiots.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 08:08 pm
So Brown comes in here, and starts wildly flinging around charges which have no basis, for which he provides no basis, but somehow, i'm no different from him when i defend myself against his lunatic unsubstantiated charges.

You are a first class asshole, Drew Dad . . . i genuinely pity your daughter.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 09:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Bite me Diest--what's up with you? Are you attempting to demonstrate that you're just as big an idiot as Brown?

Don't go and take all the fun away from this by being so damn serious Set. If you and ebrownp want to be arguing pundits, fine. I'm just having fun channeling Jon Stewart in this thread. I'm sure both of your free speech penises are really great. Honest.

T
K
O
ebrown p

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 10:06 pm
I am enjoying this.
0 Replies

The Slow Clap

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 11:13 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5268/128680769889318844.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:36 am
@Diest TKO,
Listen, Dickhead, the clown Brown is here slinging accusations around that sound an awful lot like he's calling me a racist--implying it at the least. You seem to think that makes me fair game, a figure of fun.

Not only is Brown full of ****, making baseless accusations, i have the pleasure of your brain dead comments on top of it. This has nothing to do with "channeling" anything, although it doesn't surprise me that you believe in **** like that. What this has to do with is not appreciating being inferentially called a racist by an hysterical loon without a leg to stand on, and then having a clown like you show to suggest that the one is as bad as the other.

I'm not surprised that Brown says he's loving it, after all he gets away with calling me a racist, having absolutely zero evidence, and he gets a late night with David Letterman ditto-head like you helping out his cause. You're pathetic.
Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:38 am
How many of you idiots here are willing to ignore that Brown has called the entire nation of Australia racist, and has accused them of being "more racist" than the United States? Are all of you OK with **** like that? Do all of you here have that little regard for our friends from OZ who are the targets of his hatefulness? Jesus wept, the lot of you suck dead donkey dick.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta
Your attack on Drewdad was uncalled for and for the most part you have been extreeemly rude and uncivil through this discussion.

ebrown
He hit me back first is not an excuse.

Grow up the pair of you!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 12:53 am
You might feel differently DP, if you were the one inferentially accused, without the least evidence, of being racist, and then had this pack of clowns show up to pile on. I have absolutely no regrets about what i've said to any of them, and i resent you telling me to grow up. Maybe you're OK with people casually branding you a racist, but i don't appreciate it. I also don't appreciate the pile on which occurred subsequently.
dlowan

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2010 02:31 am
@Setanta,
Set...only someone being unpleasant would label you as racist.