KFC Pulls "Racist" Australian TV spot

roger

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:48 pm
@panzade,
Moolie must be as rare as blue gum. I've seen or heard all the others, but have only seen eggplant in print and not more than once or twice. Context helps.
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 04:57 pm
@roger,
it's a northeast, new york, new jersey italian thing

Moolie -short for moolinyam Italian for eggplant
panzade

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:01 pm
@djjd62,
the things that are stuck to the roof of your brain...!
djjd62

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:11 pm
@panzade,
i gots a lot of useless info rattling 'round my noggin
2PacksAday

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:57 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

it's a northeast, new york, new jersey italian thing

Moolie -short for moolinyam Italian for eggplant

Eddie Murphy - Raw (Italians & Rocky)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fp67geuhJM&feature=related
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:04 am
@djjd62,
Never know what might turn out to be useful someday.

Who knows, someday I might even find a use for all the empty but clean butter tubs I've been saving for God knows what.
Eorl

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:09 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Never know what might turn out to be useful someday.

Who knows, someday I might even find a use for all the empty but clean butter tubs I've been saving for God knows what.

Now, if you had been wearing those butter tubs when you came off your bike... eh? EH?
roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:13 pm
@Eorl,
Matter of fact, I was wearing a more conventional helmet. Not a scratch one it. Not a scratch or ding on the bike. Took out a window and mirror on the car and spent three weeks in the hospital. Conclusion: get headgear that looks cool and doesn't cost much - like a colorful boonie rag.

Surprised you remembered that, Eorl.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 01:18 am
and here we go again.

Apple has censored "Spicks and Specks" in the Australian App Store, because the word "spick" has a racist meaning in the USA,
even thought the App isn't available in the American App Store!

<eye-roll smiley>

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 01:32 am
@Eorl,
Earl, you realize what you've just instigated, don't you? Wink

Aghhhhhhhhh! Shocked
Eorl

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 02:05 am
@msolga,
Well, I expect I've instigated agreement from everyone here that American cultural export of that kind is ridiculous, and that the word "spicks" should be correctly returned to use in the app store as soon as technically possible.

<bats eyelashes>
dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 03:21 am
@Eorl,
Aarrggghhhhh.

******* fucktards!

1966!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 03:22 am
@Eorl,
You're a goddam Kraken waker!!!!!!

Anyhoo, I always thought the bad spicks was spelled spics.
Eorl

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 05:37 am
@dlowan,
Laughing

moi?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 05:39 am
@dlowan,
I believe you are correct. One should keep in mind that corporations are obsessively concerned with "bad image," and display a regretable cowardice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 06:24 am
@Eorl,

Crikey!
It's S***ks and Specks now. Razz

Quote:

ABC 'racist' app censored but broadcaster pleading with Apple to amend decision
* September 14, 2011 9:35AM

THE ABC has pleaded with Apple to reconsider its censoring of its top-selling Spicks and Specks app after it was deemed too racist by iTunes.

The ABC show - hosted by Adam Hills - is named after a Bee Gees song but the word "spick" is often used as a derogatory term in the US for people of Latin American descent.

The broadcaster has asked iTunes to reconsider its decision to amend it to S***ks and Specks, after it surged to No.1 on the local entertainment app chart.

"iTunes is a US-based platform and it automatically censors words which are considered accidentally offensive in America," an ABC spokesman said.

"We've asked Apple to review it for the Australian audience."

The iPhone app reached No.1 on the Australian entertainment app chart over the weekend.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/abc-racist-app-censored-by-itunes-but-broadcaster-pleading-with-apple-to-amend-decision/comments-fn7celvh-1226136580041
patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 05:51 pm
@msolga,
So how long until the Niger River needs a name change?
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2011 07:54 pm
@patiodog,
Very Happy
Ha.
Or the Black Hills of Dakota?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 10:51 am
@ebrown p,
Quote:
The US is not perfect-- but we put these things out in the open and wrestle with them.

Yeah, I've noticed just how good the US is at wrestling with the big issues. Six million innocents dead and after a century of this, we're still counting the dead.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 08:40 pm
@Eorl,
You guys have an utterly confounding national psyche, with a ridiculous chip on your shoulders. It's an American company, and that they take into account American concerns really shouldn't disturb you guys so.

Why aren't you guys bothered that you depend on these companies so much in other cultural ways? Like how Apple dominates such digital distribution in the first place?

Why is it that you expect to have American corporate overlords that don't make America-centric cultural decisions about tiny **** that doesn't matter every now and then? These decisions are made by low-level employees in California. Sure, they aren't as culturally aware about Australia as they should be but you guys are a small country and a small market and you don't have a dedicated team of Australian app approvers who are super-aware of all cultural differences, they are just young people paid little to review apps according to rules made by an American company.

Stop whinging so much about every perceived cultural slight you cry babies. You guys sure can dish it out about America but become positively nationalistic about Australia.