Oldest vertebrate fossil found in Australia, scientists say

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 06:59 am
Right here in my backyard, South Australia's spectacularly lovely, and ancient, Flinders Ranges!

Click on the link to see the little tacker....

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s973390.htm

Oldest vertebrate fossil found in Australia, scientists say
ABC Science Online

Thursday, 23 October 2003

Our oldest ancestor? 560 million year old 'tadpole' found in South Australia (South Australian Museum)

What is believed to be the oldest vertebrate fossil on Earth has been discovered in South Australia's Flinders Ranges.

ABC?s PM reports that palaeontologists from the South Australian Museum were last night en route to the remote site deep in the north of the state to further authenticate the discovery, which could pre-date the previously oldest fossil found in China by 30 million years.

Our very most distant relative looks like a long tadpole, about 65 centimetres long, with muscles, a head, a fin on its back, but most importantly, a backbone, says PM?s Nance Haxton.

Dated to be at least 560 million years old, the fossil could be the elusive Holy Grail that shows the first ancestors of the human race.

South Australian Museum Director, Dr Tim Flannery, says the discovery is of enormous significance.

?Well, it's not so much humans, it's really the origin of all other things, humans, dogs, birds, fish, everything with a backbone and what it's suggesting is that perhaps this lineage goes back a lot further in time than any of us imagined,? he told PM.

Nilpena station owner Ross Fargher stumbled across the fossil five years ago while driving around his 870 square kilometre cattle property.

For years he had the fossil on display on his veranda along with other discoveries, for the interest of tourists, but had no idea that he had discovered a previously unknown fossil site.

?I knew that it was different from any other fossils here, we do have the Ediacara Fossil Reserve on the northern end of our property, and yeah, I just happened to stumble across this one just on the southern side of the fossil reserve in a sort of rocky outcrop,? he says.

?I pulled up there on a motor bike one day and I was just sort of having a bit of a look around and found a couple of fossils, and then happened to spot this one that was a bit different to the others.?

Dr Tim Flannery says the South Australian Museum will now develop a special fossil gallery to exhibit the unique specimens, and ultimately, a display on site in the Flinders Ranges as well.

The precise location of the discovery is being kept secret to prevent specimens being stolen by international fossil smugglers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,959 • Replies: 227
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:03 am
I love stories like this. There's so many nails in the creationism coffin now, it's hard to find any more wood to hammer them into.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:30 am
they think thats the oldest?

they haven't looked in my fridge yet
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:34 am
Daaaaaaahling!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:35 am
I thought that the article was just a 'spin doctor' turn on your last dinner party bunny Twisted Evil
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:38 am
i'm baaack
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:40 am
Really, Moony?

I KNEW someone would say that, Cav! Cute li'l critter, eh?
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:43 am
nearly
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:44 am
Yeah, very cool stuff. I do believe that one day, evidence of Bigfoot, Yetis and the Loch Ness monster will be discovered. I don't necessarliy believe these creatures exist, but in light of the discovery of the coelecanth, I am willing to accept the possibility.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:50 am
Welcome back moondoggy. You last visited on Wed May 07, 2003 6:30 am.

You have no new PMs

View posts since last visit (207597)

damn, coulda done with a new PM too
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:54 am
jeez - never satisfied - always wanting more!
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:57 am
just one little prime minister, that's all

HG perhaps?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:01 am
Hmmmmm - man of steel, or a national icon.....hmmmmmmmm.......
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:06 am
how was the beautiful bob brown
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:13 am
Hmmmmmm - ok I guess.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:17 am
God experimented on Oz before he created the rest of the world - this just proved it Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:17 am
God? He?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:19 am
Yeah, only a man can make so many mistakes !!!

<mush mush>
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:28 am
hey spunky trunks
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:39 am
Sad comment that, about keeping the site a secret to prevent its being raided by fossil smugglers. Sheesh, larceny knows no bounds.

Wild Colonial Boy and all that, eh?
0 Replies