Viruses - Downloading Files

gollum

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:05 pm
I believe if I download a file with a virus, my virus scan should protect me.

But I am not protected if I download a program.

Am I protected if I download a file with a .wmv extension?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 5
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:08 pm
@gollum,
no.

scan anything with your antivirus BEFORE activating it.
Or, if you have a small external hard drive, down load it there.. THEN scan, THEN use. that way if there is a virus on it, it will only be active in your external instead of your computer.

Externals can be found for 50 or less.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 07:53 pm
@gollum,
Depends on the program you are using. i.e. there is a difference between a virus checker and full internet security.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 08:27 pm
@shewolfnm,
AVG Internet Security.
0 Replies

katebrown

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 05:25 am
@gollum,
Firstly Happy New Year.
Whatever you download with virus it is obvious that it will infect your computer somewhat. It is not that if you are having a antivirus then you are safe, some virus cannot be deleted even by antivirus. So it is good if you first scan your computer.
Actually you have asked about program downloading then why you need .wmv extension?I think your confused between program file and extension. ok while downloading a file it is depend what kind of file you are downloading.
gollum

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 09:48 am
@katebrown,
I thought - maybe wrongly - that the computer's virus protection program checks each file being sent to that computer and stops the receipt of any file that contains a virus known to that virus protection program.

In contrast, the computer's virus protection program does not check files being downloaded. I think because of this many computer users have a policy of not opening a file that has an attachment.

Also files with an .exe extension are programs and are particularly dangerous. I'm not sure about the .wmv extension.
0 Replies