How Could I Be SO Stupid!

eoe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:43 am
After years of avoiding email rip-offs and bogus website offerings, I was dazzled by a ridiculously low price, ordered Adobe software from what turns out to be a fake website and provided them with my credit card number. I've already called the bank, who says there's nothing they can do until the transaction comes in but according to the "company", the transaction has been completed.
What more can I do I?? They have my credit card number!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 16 • Views: 4,749 • Replies: 47
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:49 am
Cancel cancel cancel
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Exactly ~ cancel the credit card immediately! I'm surprised that the credit card company didn't off that already! Cancel your card and have them reissue another card with a different number.
eoe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:10 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Exactly ~ cancel the credit card immediately! I'm surprised that the credit card company didn't off that already! Cancel your card and have them reissue another card with a different number.

This is what really frightens me these days. The fact that the bank DIDN'T offer to cancel the card. Why not? I'm afraid it's because they want us to get caught and be forced to pay at least the finance charge or fees attached to any transactions made, bogus or not. NO ONE is in the consumer's corner. Everybody's out to rip you off one way or the other.
engineer

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:30 am
@eoe,
These people are clever and most people are trusting at heart, so don't be surprised that someone finally got you. I'm saying this as I re-install software after a virus ravaged my computer.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:38 am
@eoe,
The problem is now that they have your credit card information, can they get the attached personal information associated with the card while its still in ... operational?

Insist on the credit card company to cancel. Even if you don't get this money back, I'm worried about further charges and identity theft.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:39 am
@eoe,
Cancel the credit card, and dispute the charges. The credit card company will reverse the transaction, and whoever operates the fake website can sue you for your money if they want to. Judging by your description, they won't be wanting to, and no court will find in their favor if they are foolish enough to try anyway.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:43 am
The bank says that we have to wait until the transaction is completed, we dispute it and they will THEN cancel the card and issue another number. Why can't I just shut that card down now??? Isn't it just like if your card is stolen? You should be able to cancel that card immediately.
Thomas

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:44 am
@eoe,
PS: What other information did you give them besides your credit card number? Depending on how much it is, you may want to read up on identity theft. The Federal Trade Commission has an educational website that looks useful.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:48 am
@eoe,
You alway had the right to cancel an account and if need be I would informed then in writing that I was doing so now.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:49 am
@eoe,
I don't know the answer, but I would speculate that your credit card wants to get at information they can use to prosecute the illicit website. If they close your account now, the transaction will just bounce, and the credit card company may not get at their information.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:54 am
@Thomas,
Hell report the card as missing then they will have zero choice but to cancel the card.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:55 am
Ouch!

sorry this happened to you eoe, but you sure gave others a tip of a rip off.

now I know not to order software like that.

question
when you were ordering, did they have one of those announcements that this is a safe site and everything?

I always wondered how much credence we can put into that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 11:55 am
@eoe,
I would cancel it, regardless. They want to wait until the transaction is completed to take further actions, however, it is upon you to prove that the
transaction is not legitimate and you have a lot of phone calls and paper work
and loss of time. In the end you don't know if they reimburse you or not.

I have had a dispute once with a credit card and it took forever to finally
make the bank understand that the charge was not legitimate.

Just cancel it and that's it!
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
Did this website offer a secure connection?

It hard for the bad guys to get a cert. for an SSL connection so that would have been clue number one.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:40 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

The bank says that we have to wait until the transaction is completed, we dispute it and they will THEN cancel the card and issue another number. Why can't I just shut that card down now??? Isn't it just like if your card is stolen? You should be able to cancel that card immediately.

You're darned straight, you should be able to cancel it immediately! I might consider switching banks, myself, but then I'm pretty crabby.

Don't beat yourself up over this! If we haven't done things we regret in life, we haven't done anything at all.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:46 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

After years of avoiding email rip-offs and bogus website offerings, I was dazzled by a ridiculously low price, ordered Adobe software from what turns out to be a fake website and provided them with my credit card number. I've already called the bank, who says there's nothing they can do until the transaction comes in but according to the "company", the transaction has been completed.
What more can I do I?? They have my credit card number!!

Let's go back to the transaction... you got an email offer, clicked on a link, purchased Adobe software via credit card, but there's no software, right? I guess I'm trying to figure out the "turns out to be a fake website" part.

You don't need to worry about paying for any charges they make against your account. You've already notified the bank that you have a bogus transaction and you're concerned about future improper usage. You're in the clear financially.

You can cancel the account but the bank can refuse to give you a new one. Let them be the ones who want to cancel it, then they'll send you a new card with a new # by overnight mail and turn the incident over to their fraud department. If you cancel it, it can affect your credit rating. If they cancel it, it won't.

I'd be more concerned about what they can do with a cc # other than run up charges against it. I'm not sure that someone can link your cc# to other personal information but I'm not sure they can't either.

Again, don't worry about fraudulent use of your card. It's already reported. It may be a hassle to get a new # if you have automated payments set up against the old one but that's all you'll have to do (she says from having to go through this twice).

The real question is what other personal info they can avail themselves of from your card. I really don't have any info on that.
JPB

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:50 pm
@JPB,
Oh -- if you still have the email you can ask the bank for the email addy of the cc fraud department and forward it to them as part of the investigation.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:10 pm
@eoe,
I am really sorry about your situation. Others have already offered advice. Just one thing further is I would avoid using the credit card for anything else until they cancel and give you a new one.

One thing for people to always remember. If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is.

Personally, I never react to any offer via a e-mail. Instead I will go to the legitimate site of the vendor and order from there. If the vendor is not offering the deal, it probably isn't legite from the people who contacted you.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:33 pm
@JPB,
The problem is that the crooks could sell eoe's credit card number as "hot number" to others and they start charging too if it's not canceled immediately.
Plus her name would be out there for identity thieves to take.

On the other hand, if they try to charge and the card is canceled they toss
the number - end of story.
0 Replies