Old, New, Borrowed and Blue

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 08:37 am
We all know the old wedding rhyme: something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.

But what about applying it to a musical set? Select a theme, any theme, and put together a four-song set following the above conventions. The first song is an oldie. The second one is new (for sake of argument and to help folks along, let's go with anything released in the last ten years as being "new"). The third song is a cover. The fourth is a sad song.

Here's an example:

Theme: Depression/Depressing:
Something old: "Sadeness Part I" by Enigma
Something new: "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter
Something borrowed: "Blue Monday" by Flunk (originally by New Order)
Something blue: "Brian Wilson" by The Barenaked Ladies

You need not share any Youtube videos, but they're kinda fun.

DrewDad

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:25 am
@jespah,
Feeling down?
jespah

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:32 am
@DrewDad,
Not at all; it was just the first topic I could think of (actually, the first topic was self-love, ahem, but I could not come up with a borrowed song - did get "Captain Jack" by Billy Joel, "Pictures of Lily" by The Who and "I Touch Myself" by The Divinyls into my mix, though).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 01:03 pm
@jespah,
Well Jespah - when I was a teenager living in NJ, wnew 102.7 was my radio station of choice - I can't even begin to express how important a part they played in my life: 6:00 -10:00 am, Dave Herman was the dj - I don't know who was 10-2 (because I was in school that whole time) 2-6 was Scott Muny - and 6-10 pm was Dennis Elsis ( who was my favorite). Anyway - in the morning 6-10 they did this something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue theme and I learned so many of my favorite songs through this.

My favorite girl's name is Mary - I couldn't use it for my daughter as I had a boy first and I named him Joseph - but anyway:

Something old:
Something new (er):
something borrowed (Mary J. Blige singing)
and for Christmas - something blue
jespah

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 05:29 am
@aidan,
Excellent! Smile

Winter (not the holidays)
Old: In the Wintertime - Steve Miller

New: Wintersong - Sarah McLachlan

Borrowed: The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo) - Manfred Mann (the original was by Bob Dylan)

Blue: Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon & Garfunkel
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 05:57 am
I find this thread interesting, just haven't made the time to join in, as yet.
jespah

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 06:20 am
@edgarblythe,
I've found it's easier to start with either a newer song or a cover and then work my way into it from there.
0 Replies

citywanderer

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:16 pm
Theme: Breaking Up
Old - Neil Young - Only Love Can Break Your Heart
New - Ryan Adams - Come Pick Me Up
Borrowed - The White Stripes - Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
Blue - Bob Dylan - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 08:28 pm
@citywanderer,
welcome to a2k. I used to live at the corner of Lee Hiway and Glebe Rd

Nice mix
jespah

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:29 am
@panzade,
Yay citywanderer, welcome!
aidan

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 02:57 pm
@jespah,
something old:
something new:
something borrowed: (from Ashford and Simpson and then Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terelle
Something blue:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 05:00 pm
Nice! Smile
aidan

Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2010 12:42 pm
@jespah,
thank you and thanks for creating this thread - I'm enjoying it:

something old: one of my favorite songs from the nearly old past- so hard to believe it's already been fifteen years these guys have been around

something new: one from one of my favorite new groups who bring back the old vibe:

something borrowed: Key To The Highway
borrowed from:
Quote:

All Music Guide has this to say about William Lee "Big Bill" Broonzy, the author of this blues classic:

In terms of his musical skill, the sheer size of his repertoire, the length and variety of his career and his influence on contemporaries and musicians who would follow, Big Bill Broonzy is among a select few of the most important figures in recorded blues history.

Key to the Highway is among Broonzy's best-known songs and has been covered countless times. Here's a clip from his own recording of the tune in the early 1940's. If you are looking for a good ear-training exercise, try your hand at both the bass line he is playing during the full instrumental chorus as well as the riff he plays after singing.

Audio Clip: Big Bill Broonzy playing Key to the Highway
Key To The Highway

something blue:
aidan

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 02:18 pm
@aidan,
something old:
som ething new:
something borrowed:
something blue:
aidan

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:46 am
@aidan,
something old:
something new:
something borrowed:
something blue:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:22 pm
Sweet! Smile
aidan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 03:40 pm
@jespah,

Thank you jespah and again - thanks for posting this thread - I'd not have thought of it and I really enjoy it.

I heard Steve Forbert sing for the first time in a long time tonight - I was at the show where he sang this song and I love it-there's only one Steve Forbert:
Something old - There's everybody else and then there's you:

Something new- You are the only exception:

Something Borrowed - One

Something blue: I can't live with or without you

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:14 pm
@jespah,
Back from a long retirement.

Back in 1996 I did a show on college radio that was called 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' that followed exactly the format you've described.

Please forward the royalty checks to my inbox.
aidan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 04:31 pm
@hingehead,
Sorry - but I think Dave Hermann - the 10 am-2pm dj on 102.7 WNEW fm (New York City) probably pipped you as I know he did it every morning - late seventies/early eighties- my mom was a nurse and she worked seven to three thirty (half an hour for lunch) - so I could skip school and she'd never know - she was gone by 6:30 and not home till around 4 - so I'd just pretend I'd gone to school (after I turned eighteen I could call in sick for myself) and I'd stay home and listen to music all day (while doing my homework - I DID always do my work -even if I didn't go to class everyday).
hingehead

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 05:33 pm
@aidan,
Well I can stand up in a court of law and say I've never listened to New York radio, I guess....
0 Replies