The Racist British Police

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:59 am
An undercover investigation by a BBC reporter has uncovered a high degree of racism in the British Police forces.

While it is a known fact that racism is rampant in UK, this has come as a shock and a surprise. The very people who are charged with protecting have turned attackers.

While the BBC article has been a bit circumspect with regards to the comments which have been made, some of the comments made by police officers have found their way to the indian news media.

Quote:

One recruit is seen wearing a Ku Klux Klan-style hood while fantasising about attacking an officer of Pakistani origin.

The recruit, who was in Daly's room at the centre, said, 'I haven't even f***ing started with him yet. He'll regret the day he was born a Paki.'

Asked by Daly to explain his ultimate aim, the recruit added, 'To eradicate the whole f***ing country of people like him.'

Another officer talked about murdering the Asian man. 'I'd kill him. I'd pull my f***ing hood on my head and chase him down the road.'

Policemen are also heard describing the murder of black teenager Stephen Lawrence as a 'good memory' and calling his parents 'f***ing spongers.' They also suggest his white killers should be given 'diplomatic immunity.'

One officer is heard saying that Hitler 'had the right idea.'

The BBC article can be found Here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:05 am
Pretty scary. Especially for those who aren't a part of the "accepted" race.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:12 am
Yeah it is - who do you turn to if u have a problem ? No wonder there is a spate of asian gangs which are being formed to protect themselves against the whites !!

Sort of like - if you wont protect us, we will do it ourselves.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:16 am
I find it sad and worrying that this kind of thing still goes on.

Lack of understanding of culture is one thing, but the kind of comments that you quote are indefensible, IMHO.

KP
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:31 am
Yes.

Looking at it, I must say that, at least here, police are not generally recruited from the brightest and most tolerant in a society.

Added to that, I wonder if, meeting as they do the worst of every race, (the police I know are generally very traumatised, bitter, cynical - and they tend to mix only with other police - who understand) they judge from that - except their own ethnic group, of course (because they are naturally prejudiced toward their own, and they have lots of knowledge of people from their own group who behave better than the ones they meet on the job)?

It is a strange world, that of the coppers - and a hard one.

This does not, of course, excuse the behaviour and attitudes.

Did these guys know they were being filmed? Police seem to have a bit of a death wish when cameras are turned on them - there are a number of examples of documentaries where they let such attitudes "hang out" - in a very surprising way.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:36 am
dlowan, it was covert filming - and that is what is scary !!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:40 am
yeppers.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:47 am
The funny thing is that the guyz will probably go unpunished - one has just quit the force.

Guess they are more dangerous now !
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 09:46 am
If this is what one reporter can find, how big is the problem nationwide?

The other disturbing thing was that Home Secretary David Blunkett tried to stop the programme from being shown???
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 06:03 am
And to add insult, this story didnot make the front pages of any major newspaper today !!

Just goes on to show that "raciism exists, so WHAT ?"
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:06 am
Gautam === I didn't see this prog on bbc tv, but I saw the reaction on last night's news.
As a white Anglo Saxon, what those guys said & their whole attitude absolutely disgusts me. The White Trash must be dealt with. Social & cultural education must be seen to being applied.
I know racism goes on, both quietly & also openly.
It's ironic that this episode has surfaced just 2 weeks after Kent Police appointed the 1st black Chief Constable in the UK.
Going about my day to day life, I get the impression that our Asian & Afro/Carribean citizens are trying very hard to integrate, many very succesfully. The white population, for the most part is much more accepting of legal & established immigrants.
Gautam, you may of course choose to dispute that but I can only comment on what I have seen.
Bigotry of any kind, verbal and physical is totaly obscene
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:18 pm
They need some American lawyers over there - some people would rich pretty quickly.

Seriously, though, I keep hearing about how America is obcessed with race - that's nothing compared to this.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 04:05 am
oldandnew, I agree - as an asian, I take it in my stride on the street - I feel sorry for these people.

But when people of authority, people who are supposed to protect us from racism turn racist that is when I get the shudders...and disgust.

This has really started me thinking...do I really want to be in the UK anymore ?
0 Replies