So The Movie Ends And I Couldn't Believe That ***** Was The *****

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:11 am
*WARNING* this thread may contain spoilers, if that kind of thing bothers you

so do spoilers bother you?

i knew that bruce willis was dead before i saw the sixth sense, still thoroughly enjoyed the film

i don't think i've ever been bothered by knowing the outcome of a film or book

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 1,739 • Replies: 19
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:31 am
@djjd62,
I do enjoy a good twist/ surprise. (Which means I need to back out of this thread after posting because I'm way behind on my movie viewing -- I haven't even seen "The Sixth Sense" but I did know that Bruce Willis' character is dead.)

Yesterday I caught the finale of "Top Chef," it was a repeat but I was studiously avoiding reading anything about it, I was sure Bryan would win even though I was rooting for Michael and was shocked that M. won -- that would have been fun to watch even if I'd known ahead of time but not AS fun.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 07:41 am
@sozobe,
hmm, hadn't thought of tv, ie reality shows sort of things, i don't watch them

another message board i visit has code that let's you black out text, thus avoiding spoilers (you can view the text by using the quote function), might see if i can get it to work here
Mame

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:56 am
@djjd62,
I always start reading a book then after a bit, read the end of the book, then go back to where I was Smile

Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but that's the way I do it. Maybe that's why I don't like watching movies.
Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:06 am
@djjd62,
Sometimes the outcome of a movie or a book can be predictable. for example, in the Crying Game I knew the woman was a guy...but in Presumed Innocent (the book) I had no idea it was the wife who murdered the mistress, or that Bruce Willis was dead in the 6th Sense.

I thought the 6th Sense was tedious, even though it surprised me.

I don't like to know the plot.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:07 am
@Mame,
That's interesting. I guess it doesn't spoil it for you to know the ending?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:09 am
Yeah, spoilers bother me. I would have enjoyed Thelma & Louise a lot more if I hadn't known the ending.

I was really glad that I didn't know the surprise in The Crying Game when I saw it. I think that would have made a big difference.

But I frequently see movies having already read the book, so then you're just looking for what's been left out.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 09:18 am
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:
But I frequently see movies having already read the book, so then you're just looking for what's been left out.

that bothers me more than the spoiled ending, depending on what's been left out

sometimes they add and leave out, a problem in the last harry potter film, some elements that were added (the attack on the weasleys home) and some that were deleted (the upcoming wedding of ron's brother) are going to cause 9in my mind anyway) some problems for the 7th film, it will be interesting to see how it's handled
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:02 am
@mac11,
The only movie that matched the book in excellence was One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest. Otherwise, the movie from book pales. I thought Presume Innocent the movie was just plain plodding and dull, despite the cast.
sozobe

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:15 am
@djjd62,
You can handle that here by choosing white font.

Quote (or highlight) to see hidden message.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 10:15 am
@sozobe,
sweet

the other site has [spoiler][/spoiler] as a code any thing in side the brackets comes out as a black bar, like the kind in top secret documents
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 11:18 am
@djjd62,
Doesn't bother me a bit.

And, btw, the butler did it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:25 pm
@Gala,
The Milagro Beanfield War matched the book quite well. There was at least one instance of two characters being combined into one, but how much can one do in 90 minutes?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:37 pm
I know beforehand that a movie rarely follows the book. Heck, the one I saw about Faulkner's Sanctuary (had Odetta in it) didn't even tell the same story at all, but just borrowed the characters' names. So, I put the book out of my mind if I can and just judge a film according to whether it entertains or not. I don't mind knowing a story's outcome. I watch favorite ones multiple times.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:41 pm
@djjd62,
IMDb has spoiler tags ... [spoiler][/spoiler] where you can see the hidden text if you move your mouse over the obscured text.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2u91owl.jpg
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
sozobe had a good idea, quote her post
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:43 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I'm really a Communist spy! Shh! Don't tell anyone!

Quote (or highlight) to see hidden message.
djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
okay not like that, you should be able to see the message inside in the reply box when quoting the message

the message is written using the
Code:[color=#FFFFFF][/color]

that color code being white
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 01:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
ah, i see what you did there, humour, ha ha ha
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:27 pm
It all depends. My best friend and I are avid movie watchers. If one has seen the movie and yet the other hasn't and it comes up in the topic of conversation we generally preface the statement with "do you want to know or are you waiting to see for yourself".

If I am really excited to see a movie and someone tells me the ending I can get mad, because then I go into the film knowing the ending. Following the story, the curves, the twist, the even linear story, is what makes the movie experience for me. So going into the film knowing the ending ruins the whole thing for me.

But as far as books go, I usually pick up a book and read it based off of reading the back of the book or because I like who wrote it. I don't have many friends who are all into reading and thus no one to really spoil it for me.
0 Replies