Is Rupert Murdock Senile?

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:12 pm
So when Rupert a few weeks ago said that he was going to war with free internet content nearly everyone said he is nuts...that he does not understand the internet thus can not understand why his idea is fantasy. But then I see today:
Quote:
Springer, which publishes the biggest daily in Europe, the tabloid Bild, as well as other newspapers in Germany and Eastern Europe, says it wants publishers to get paid for their work on the Internet, at a time when many people assume that online news should be free.

“The meta-philosophy of free " we should get rid of this philosophy,” said Christoph Keese, Springer’s head of public affairs and an architect of its online strategy. “A highly industrialized world cannot survive on rumors. It needs quality journalism, and that costs money.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/business/media/07iht-springer07.html?hpw

And today I notice that I can no longer get the print edition of the Economist for free online, which really sucks. And maybe I would pay something for that.

Is free content on the way out??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 654 • Replies: 2
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:16 pm
Murdoch
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 05:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Is free content on the way out??

No. I think there's always going to be free information clogging up the Internet. The real question is, how much will people be willing to pay to have access to information which carries veracity?

The Internet Marketplace is still waiting for the dust to settle to see how much real information is worth to people. And the more the Internet becomes clogged with personal opinions and bullshit, the more the high-quality kernels of knowledge will be worth.

For example, there may come a time when everyone on the Internet sells their opinions for a penny, and we may have to pay a penny to click on someone's post on A2K, just to see what they have to say. If you really wanted an answer to something, and not just a "chat", who would you click on for a penny, and who would you ignore?
0 Replies