Meals that make for yummy and abundant leftovers

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:54 am
I cooked up a storm for Thanksgiving -- a 14-lb turkey and many sides. It was so great to have all that food in the refrigerator and not have to cook for the next few days, or do minimal re-purposing sorts of things.

I'd like to do that more often -- cook a ton of stuff with the expectation that some of it will be eaten for dinner but a lot of it will stick around for leftovers later -- but I don't have a lot of good ideas. Chili is one obvious standby. I don't generally love soup.

Other ideas?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,850 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:58 am
@sozobe,
I make a large flank steak, and use the leftovers for next day suppers and lunches.

The winter is a great time to cook up a huge beef stew, with lots of veggies. If there are too many extras, they can be put in plastic bags and frozen for later.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 08:59 am
@sozobe,
Curries are better second or third time round.
JPB

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:04 am
Lasagna or other baked pastas have good staying power.

I grew up with a large family dinner every Sunday - a mini holiday feast of sorts. We had leftovers for much of the following week. My mother worked so she put a big effort into Sunday dinner, then planned on leftovers to make the week easier. Some of the dinners included baked ham (lots of things you can do with leftover ham), roast chicken, roast beef, roast pork (not sure if you eat pork/ham).

You say you aren't a fan of most soups, but stews can be less complicated and very hearty for the winter months.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:13 am
@dlowan,
They really are! I made a curried mashed sweet potato side that was best on day 3 (just before it disappeared), then used leftover curry paste and coconut milk to make another dish that was also better later on. Will be doing more of that I think.

Stews are a great idea, I don't love soup usually but the heartier the better, and stews are more in the chili category to me.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 09:34 am
Well, we are all on the curry bandwagon here. GW put this link on Facebook the other day, I tried it. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/dining/25mini.html

Holy cow, was it good!

Joe(faked some Naan by crisping a tortilla under the broiler for a minute.)Nation
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:09 am
I realized that I was going to be near the grocery where I could buy pork shoulder today and I thought of your thread.

Pork shoulder is leftover bonanza!

It's a cheap cut of meat and can be awful unless you cook it right though.

Stab it full of holes, marinate* for a minimum of 24 hours, stick it in a dutch oven and put it in the oven at 250 degrees before you go to bed and take it out in the morning, keep the lid on the pot and allow the meat to cool to room temperature.

I don't use a lot of seasoning when marinating so that I can adjust the flavor depending on what I'm doing with the meat. Typically I'll do barbeque, tacos, some kind of Asian inspired thing, sandwiches -- really whatever because the meat is so flexible.

Also, don't soak it with marinade, just rub some olive oil and seasoning on it, and don't put a lot of liquid in the pot when roasting -- just a cup of broth or a bottle of salsa, something like that.

Yum!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:11 am
Oh yeah -- briskit is another good one only you need to marinate it for about 3 days in lots of liquid and cook for only a few hours.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:40 am
Ribs - we make them in the crock pot and they are tasty left overs. I know there was mention of pasta dishes - broccoli zita and chicken is great; chicken pot pie - those are some of my favorite left overs.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
I must agree about the lasanya (fonetic spelling).

Beef Wellington is even better on the 2nd day.
I put my fine dining group, the O M SIG, into One If By Land, Two If By Sea,
at Christmastime, whose signature dish is Beef Wellington.
Thay r so generous in their portions that u have a lot to take home.

Its like biting into Heaven the next day.

David
0 Replies