A2K'ers are MIS-INFORMED about Obama Death Threats

Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:11 pm
Quote:
Mr. Sullivan, a career Secret Service agent who was appointed director in 2006, tried unsuccessfully to assuage the legislators’ concerns, saying Mr. Obama was never in danger the night of the state dinner on Nov. 24.

And he said Mr. Obama had not received more death threats than any of his recent predecessors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/us/politics/04party.html

Considering all of the chatter about how ignorant racist bigoted Republicans are an extreme threat to the life of the President, and how we need to FEAR for Obama's life....clearly an apology is in order.

The fear-up approach to manipulation can not be allowed to work without opposition. When we find this attempt at manipulation being used it is our duty to call it out.

George

Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Considering all of the chatter about how ignorant racist bigoted Republicans are
an extreme threat to the life of the President, and how we need to FEAR for
Obama's life....clearly an apology is in order.

Who said that?
And when?
0 Replies

panzade

Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Considering all of the chatter about how ignorant racist bigoted Republicans are an extreme threat to the life of the President,

What are you smoking?
hawkeye10

Thu 3 Dec, 2009 09:35 pm
@panzade,
http://able2know.org/topic/137674-1

it has also infected other threads, but this will do to prove my point
George

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 07:08 am
@hawkeye10,
Well that's a relief. For a minute there, I thought you were serious.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:02 am
@hawkeye10,
How are people being manipulated here? I don't understand the bridge you're attempting to build. Your title is about death threats, but this thread talks about the dinner crashing. I don't think that Obama was in danger at the dinner, and I have heard of no threat that he would be harmed at the dinner.

You're trying to associate the concern with right-wing extremists committing violent acts with the hype over a dinner. Where as one was no valid threat, the other has at least 3 incidents in 2009 to grant it validity.

What exactly is anyone supposed to apologize for and to who?

T
K
O

maporsche

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:23 am
@Diest TKO,
Look at the quote he posted.

Quote:
And he said Mr. Obama had not received more death threats than any of his recent predecessors.

I've read people claim otherwise, and I believed it too, I mean after all he's the first black guy to be president; it seems believable that he'd get more death threats. But apparently that isn't so.
panzade

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:31 am
@maporsche,
I believe Mr Sullivan and I believe the common perception is wrong. This country has handled the election of a black president in a dignified way
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:31 am
@maporsche,
I remember the controversy surrounding how early Obama was given SS protection during the campaign. This was largely due to a large volume of threats which exceeded the norm for that point in the campaign.

It's hard to gauge. We only know what we are given. I can see why the office of POTUS would downplay the number. It would certainly be a counter hypothesis to hawkeye's notion that the number is played up.

T
K
O
0 Replies

djjd62

Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:36 am
deaths threats against him? didn't obama just issue 30,000 death threats to american citizens

"Obama announced he would send an additional 30000 US troops to Afghanistan."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:00 pm
Quote:
The threats have leveled off in recent months, officials said, and Mr. Obama now receives about the same as his two most recent predecessors. But several officials said they took no solace that the volume of reports had receded because it was the nature of the threats that concern them and because the factors behind the increase remain " Mr. Obama’s race prime among them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/us/06threat.html?hp

Can someone explain why someone whos presumed motive to threaten the life of Obama is race is more of a threat than someone who has some other motive? Does race make it a crime of passion? I think not, this is BS. This is getting excited about race for no other reason than we are in the habit of getting excited about race. We should knock it off.
George

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think the key phrase is this:
" . . . because the factors behind the increase remain " Mr. Obama’s race
prime among them."
His race remains. That is not going to change. As I read it, the writer is not
saying that race makes it more of a threat, but that race makes it a continuing
threat.
hawkeye10

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 04:19 pm
@George,
So what? The "reason" given by the makers of the threats tend to be something that the object of the threat has done, and no one can go back and change history either, so it is a continuing threat as well. This makes zero logical sense that racial threats are worse than other kinds.
George

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 05:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
. . . no one can go back and change history either, so it is a continuing
threat as well.

True. And it may be that Obama's history is also a reason for threats.

The writer states that among other reasons, race is "prime". Now what he/she
means by "prime", I'm not sure. I suspect the writer is saying that those who
have made threats that include racial references are more virulent than the
others. But, of course, there's no way for us to know. We haven't heard or
read all the threats ourselves.
hawkeye10

Sat 5 Dec, 2009 06:00 pm
@George,
Quote:
I suspect the writer is saying that those who
have made threats that include racial references are more virulent than the
others. But, of course, there's no way for us to know. We haven't heard or
read all the threats ourselves.

IDK, Being driven to the desire to kill by hate is all the same to me, race motivation is in no way special. If those with racial hate were to be for instance more credible, as in they tend to take more action towards doing the deed, then there would be cause to take them more seriously. But as you say, we dont know why these threats are being taken so seriously, so we cant say for sure if the response is justified.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A2K'ers are MIS-INFORMED about Obama Death Threats
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:09:53